What is Songkran like where you are?

General Udon Thani topics only!
nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 15, 2011, 3:31 am

What is Songkran like where you are?I have not ventured out after 8AM or before 8pm this week,but before 8am,I take my dog for a bike ride and my wife runs and we have not encountered any water /powder episodes.The same in the evening.The town seems to be in a ''normal state in the evening,except for heavier traffic,fireworks an a few music spots still reveling.The vendors are busy selling food. :D

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » April 15, 2011, 6:21 am

Stan you should get out after 8 AM, it's amazing. Just make sure your windows are rolled up! I have found the crowds to be extremely polite. Lots of waves and thumbs up when they see me, a farang, safely behind the window.

It's really crazy down here in Amnat Charoen Province. Every street in every village is lined with people participating with a steady stream of pickups. And all appear to be good natured.

We drove from Amnat to Somdet to visit some friends, about a 150 km journey. Made the same trip last year and it seemed like many, many more people in every village this year. The wife thinks that last year they were all in Bangkok at the Red shirt demos. Makes sense, as quite a few of her acquaintances were in Bangkok last year. It's a lot better to have people throwing water at each other rather than tear gas and firebombs.

One disturbing thing in some of the villages was the number of drunk teenagers, both boys and girls. Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy, but it bothers me to see teens openly in broad daylight swigging from a bottle of Leo, with adults, presumably their parents standing around. Of course when I was that age we did the same thing, except the adults never knew about it. Nothing good can come of nubile, drunk, sopping wet 15 or 16 year old girls surrounded by some horny boys.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » April 15, 2011, 9:44 am

I can sum up in a single word ref Songkraan in Adyadhet rd ........ MADNESS.

So pleased i close the shop for the whole 3 days as it is totally mental down here midday to 8pm usually only ening after a visit from the boys in BIB.
I fully understand the cultural / religious side of Songkraan but from the safety of the 3rd floor balcony above the shop i have witnessed stupidity of the highest order , bearing in mind we still have a day to go i have seen 3 serious fights one involving two gangs , 2 seperate motorbikes hit the deck after water thrown at them and a pissed up youth runover by a pickup .... this all in a 50M stretch of Adunyadhet rd and all alcohol related .,,,,,,,, says it all really .

This year some towns n cities in los have banned pickups full of revelers entering the city centers and could see that being the case in Udon next year .

I aint no doom n gloom merchant ,my son does go out each day and enjoy it but choose to abstain from the mayhem and thanks to the songkran festivities i have a repair bill for a sign and a marble table top outside the shop. , the joys of living in the town center !?

mash

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » April 15, 2011, 12:51 pm

Hi All,agree with everything Mash says,the estate where we live there isn't a drop of water to be seen,so we headed out last night at 18.10 along ring road,left at global and past nong sim to come in from the top of adunyadet rd,everything good till we got there,everybody singing,dancing,throwing water,powdering faces and generally having a good time but total mayhem from there in,everybody trying to push their pick ups into non existant spots,young teens openly drinking big bottles of beer and falling off pick up tails.people jumping in the back of our pick up and dancing away(never bothered us,just enjoying themselves, but worried about them falling out as a lot were very drunk)finally reached the bookhouse(went there as we thought it would be a quieter location and less chance of another soaking :-" :-" :-" )at around 19.35.Certainly won't be doing it tonight :D chok dee to anyone that ventures out today,last day mayhem??????
regards,johnty.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 15, 2011, 2:22 pm

Went to Tesco shopping at 11AM,plenty of traffic.lots of water play from pickup to pickup,I never got sprayed once in traffic.Waiting for a parking space and a kid sitting in the back of a truck gave me one shot with his long range water cannon.Drove back home,everything was the same as going,no spraying!

Took the dog out to the promenade at Noon,drove the length of the main street,lots of water play,no one splashing cars ,just p/u's with other players,all the way ,I never got splashed once!Lot of people out playing,drinking and dancing,all in good fun.very sensible.

I have always been impressed with the general attitude of Nong Khai as a community =D> =D>

gordonp

Post by gordonp » April 15, 2011, 7:02 pm

Well I'm here in Udon (or at least in a village within 10k) I've travelled into Udon everyday so far during Sonkran, first by motorcycle to the main road and then by Samloy to Central Plaza, I like a beer come rain hail or shine. Which is why I don't ride the bike all the way.

Just to put you in the picture I'll be 66 next month but since coming to Thailand (I'm in my second year) I've never had so much innocent fun in my life, especially during Sonkran. Ok so I get soaked right down to my underpants, but the sun is hot and I soon dry. I take part in the biggest, longest and gentlest waterfight in the world bar none, and no I've seen zero drunken violence, only happy people having fun.

BarnicaleBob
udonmap.com

Post by BarnicaleBob » April 15, 2011, 9:24 pm

Way over here in Chiang Mai, it is just as crazy as it was last year. The closer you get to the city the more people you see on the side of the highway waiting to water you down. Around the moat in town, the traffic is almost at a stand still, it can take an hour to go only a couple of blocks along the east side of the outer moat. One thing I hate is the behavior of some of the young westerners (of which Chiang Mai has way too many of, I really need to move to Udon) These young 20s and 30s westerners are soaking people without regard. When people go past a Thai that is loaded with water, they can hold up a hand and the Thais smile but do not soak the person. When someone goes by the westerners, even with a camera held up and their hand held out motioning not to be soaked, they laugh and soak them anyway. It would be nice if the Westerners would lighten up a bit, this is one case where the Thais seem to have better manors than us.

gordonp

Post by gordonp » April 15, 2011, 10:19 pm

Probably lost our manners in 1960

cambsangler
udonmap.com

Post by cambsangler » April 16, 2011, 10:07 am

This was my first Songkran and I used just 2 words to decsribe it - Completely mental!! Thankfully I am still young enough to appreciate a good soaking, and lets face it, it makes a pleasant change to not feel too hot oustide all day.

I was outside Ruysuk on Adulyadet Road for all 3 days from midday onwards. Saw no problems, aggression etc. Can not imagine that being the case under similer circumstances back in UK!

Certainly most Thai's were more than happy to clock a Ferang and somehow it became more fun to have a water fight with an individual person rather than simply dousing an entire pick up or bus etc

Do not think I have seen so many younger girls before, just so many - was there an explosion in the birth rate 15 - 19 years ago??

Bring it on again next year, can't wait :-)

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 16, 2011, 10:19 am

Took the pickup out yesterday,ignored Adunyadet rd and Nong Prajack as both seened gridlocked and too hot to frazzle in the back,ventured past Mr Tongs,he did not have the usual mayhem outside his place,no farangs there with him :shock: this year,drove past UD Town,their spray feature looked like a damp squid,not much activity.Overall not bad this year,off to Pattaya later today. 8)

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » April 16, 2011, 11:03 am

i ventured out of the bomb shelter this morning. peering through my periscope-cam, it appeared
safe enough :razz: (this would be sat morn approx 9am) still, i think most businesses will be closed
until monday the 18th. tried to go to my gym this morning (which sells memberships) still shut down.
as as aside, i have nothing against the holiday/festival thing but with clean water being an increasingly
scarce natural resource, is it not ah, a little petulant to throw millions of gallons of it on the street. :(

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 16, 2011, 11:47 am

cali4995 wrote:i ventured out of the bomb shelter this morning. peering through my periscope-cam, it appeared
safe enough :razz: (this would be sat morn approx 9am) still, i think most businesses will be closed
until monday the 18th. tried to go to my gym this morning (which sells memberships) still shut down.
as as aside, i have nothing against the holiday/festival thing but with clean water being an increasingly
scarce natural resource, is it not ah, a little petulant to throw millions of gallons of it on the street. :(
Who said it's clean water? :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 16, 2011, 3:12 pm

YES,had a great 3 days in udon, 2 on the back of the truck and one inside between the wet days. Amazing how some roads not a drop in sight then next road mayhem! Everyone very well behaved (well, up to 7pm) although the alcohol was taking effect later. Only problem was the number of pickups and the traffic jams that occurred. Would hope for some planned routes next year and no queue jumpers who cause all the jams; well we can always hope!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 18, 2011, 8:42 am

Apparently in Bangkok , Silom Road area, three ladies were arrested for dancing topless and are facing a court fine of 500bht .In the meantime this is the Ministry of Culture website .Hastily changed . :lol:
nvfpk.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 18, 2011, 11:13 am

Way too short on detail, Val. [-X

As a public service, and in the spirit of Songkran, UM readers may wish to take a peek here: :oops:

http://vimeo.com/22533740

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 18, 2011, 11:34 am

jackspratt wrote:Way too short on detail, Val. [-X

As a public service, and in the spirit of Songkran, UM readers may wish to take a peek here: :oops:

I actually prefer the ones on the ministry site, but everyone to their taste Jack .

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » April 18, 2011, 12:45 pm

trubrit wrote:
jackspratt wrote:Way too short on detail, Val. [-X

I actually prefer the ones on the ministry site, but everyone to their taste Jack .
TB - how do you get romantic with a poster. If need be?
In OT's opinion Jack hit the nail on the head.

OT............. \:D/

gk10002000

Post by gk10002000 » April 29, 2011, 7:45 am

It was great. Just right. I went to the Wat Thai in Escondidio, California, just north of San Diego. And the weekend before, I went to the Wat Lao just south of San Diego!. Hehe

Hope to be in Udon later this summer. Been to Thailand 10 times but never made it up to the northeast.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”