Pets (with 4 legs)

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
polehawk
udonmap.com

Pets (with 4 legs)

Post by polehawk » August 30, 2006, 9:31 pm

Anyone know a hotel in Udon that allows you to keep a pet in the room?

We will be arriving next month with our two well-behaved, litter box trained cats and need accomodations whilst hunting for a house to rent. Yeah, I know we should leave them here with somebody but animal lovers will understand why we can't leave them behind.

So far, Mr Wasn at BB Resort has replied positively to my email but looking for other options, as well.

Ron Image

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 30, 2006, 9:41 pm

:) Could we include small house trained dogs in this post.We definitely don't like leaving our dog home.And if we had a decent overnight accomodation,we could ''party'' more when we are in Udon.Now,I limit my drinking to max 2 drinks!

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 30, 2006, 10:29 pm

Have you asked the Charoen or Karen? There has got to be a place pet friendly.

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » August 31, 2006, 12:20 am

I'll bet the Charoen would accommodate pets if one asks. The main issue with the cats is going to be the litter box.

valentine

Post by valentine » August 31, 2006, 8:02 am

gulfcoastUSA wrote:I'll bet the Charoen would accommodate pets if one asks. The main issue with the cats is going to be the litter box.
And the curtains :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 31, 2006, 8:55 am

There is a simple business principle that could be applied,deposit to cover possible problems!
The difficulty here in Thailand,and of course other places too,is the lack of trust.
''Will I get scammed for the deposit?'' and ''What if it cost me more to fix than the deposit,etc.''
We have a small Shih Tzu dog that is ''our baby''.It is a very much loved member of our family!!We do not like leaving it alone!
But if I owned a room renting enterprise,I would be foolish to risk a loss to strangers with pets,no matter if they seem well cared for!I would do what makes the best business sense!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 31, 2006, 9:20 am

How would you like to sleep in a room with the smell of cat/dog piss or listen to the barking of a dog!
We take our dog with us everytime it is possible.We have been taking her with us to our favorite resturant for over a year,but we have a responsibility to make sure that our actions with the dog are not depremental to their business if we want to continue that practice!
The last time we took her,we were with some other couples.We were talking to each other and not paying attention to our daughter and our ''baby''.Next thing ,I noticed the owner looking unhappily at our table,in the middle of the large full resturant,Alas,our daughter has fixed a plate of food for our dog,placed on the table,''Lita'' is standing up with her two front legs on the table ''wolfing'' down the food!!
Some people are smiling and some people had disdainful expressions on their face!Obviously,we have commited ''social foul paw'' by not paying attention to our responsibilities!Usually,we eat as a family and we sit in the room where our dog can have a chair against the wall.And her plate is placed on the chair for her to eat,no problems!The staff all know us and ''Lita'',playing with her etc.

This is, by far, the best Thai resturant in NK,and I would hate to lose it as our ''family'' resturant!I didn't at the time,as not to provoke a ''face saving'' response,but,I plan to apologize to the owner(who has said nothing to us yet)and assure her we will take our responsibilty more serious in the future!

Hopefully,we will still have our ''family'' resturant!Otherwise we will find other accomodations unless the ''kids'' stay home!

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 31, 2006, 10:39 am

Yes I would agree that deposits are something to worry about, but I doubt that the Charoen would be one of those places. I assume the baby is house trained and you will plan for walks to avoid accidents.

Barking well lets see in a strange room by itself, or will baby accompany you for beers. In a room be itself I'm sure it is gong to be friightened and barking at every noise. Now that would be very rough on the other guests. A thought might be to ask where the have the most vacancies and try for a floor, where there are not to many guests. The other hire a baby sitter so it is not so frightened. I know this may sound a bit strange to soem people, but if yuo have taken the type to intergrate a dog or cat into your family they are not used to being alone. When we travel we hire a house sitter, part of it security the other part is so the dog is cared for. Even with that the dog moops around the entire time we are gone and is constantly looking for us. Pets a huge responsilbilty to care for properly. You want a soi dog thats a different ball game, but you will not have the same experience a when you have a pet intigrated into the family.

Sounds like you understand the resposibilty and you had an oops!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 31, 2006, 11:26 am

:D Very understanding,Ray :)

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 31, 2006, 12:11 pm

You know your post reminded me a funny thing that happened when I was a kid one of my older brothers had a dog that was his buddy and went drinking with him. Everybody thought it was great when he sipped a bit of beer from a dish. They stopped laughing when he pied on the Juke Box :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 31, 2006, 12:30 pm

valentine wrote:
gulfcoastUSA wrote:I'll bet the Charoen would accommodate pets if one asks. The main issue with the cats is going to be the litter box.
And the curtains :lol:
Not a problem with our two indoor cats. They've been using the litter box since they were kittens and are declawed. The worse thing they would possibly do is hop up on the bed and take a nap. :D

We weren't really looking forward to spending any length of time in a hotel room with our cats but we will, if necessary. The litter box can be placed in a corner of the bathroom so the strong cat piss odor is hardly noticeable. It helps if you keep the litter box clean for them, too.

Thanks for the tips about the Charoen and Karin. Saw phone numbers for all of the major hotels on the Home page so might be calling them. BB Resort says they will allow well-behaved pets, also.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 1, 2006, 4:08 am

cats make very little noise so disturbance's should'nt be a problem for other guest's,and cats can be left alone much easier than dogs,personally i have never seen a dog or cat inside any Hotel in Thailand(none that guest's have booked in anyway), de-clawed and litter box trained all very good,even if they did get confused a couple of clean-ups and a disinfectant spray should do the trick.
if they were my cats i would be constantly worried about them getting out the door or window/balcony, you know how fast they can be or maybe they are good in-door cats as you say, Good luck with that one hope it works out polehawk. i like a cat myself.

also interested to know, where do the cats travel on the plane is there a special compartment ?
extra cost ?
lots of paper work involved/pet passport ?
vaccinations/health any qaurantine etc ?
will someone check on them during the flight ?
insurance ?
do all airlines take pets ?
thanks.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » September 1, 2006, 7:09 am

beermonkey,

Few countries are as strict with importing pets as the UK. I left my cats with my parents when I moved to the UK rather than put them through the six month quarantine. Any country that already has incidence of rabies is likely to admit pets with no restriction.

I saw an article today on what to expect taking pets through airport security -- one will have to take the pet out of the carrier to pass through the security gate, while the carrier is x-rayed. Otherwise, the pet has to be placed with the rest of luggage, etc. All innoculations have to be in order to be able to export them -- rabies, distemper, etc.

I brought two cats back to the US with me from UK in a double-compartment carrier; from Heathrow to home was a 24 hour trip gropm front door to front door. When we arrived, I heard the female before I saw the carrier on the baggage belt -- she was howling that loudly, royally pi**ed off. When we got home and let them out, the female was fine. The male had to be dragged out, and for two weeks he bolted every time the clothes dryer or dishwasher came on.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 1, 2006, 7:53 am

I have often wondered where the pets are stored on the aircraft!In 1977,I was shocked when my ''cockapoo'' dog came up the luggage conveyor at Chicago's O'Hare airport.The luggage compartment must have been pressurized like the passenger cabin.He was definitely freaked out!!

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 1, 2006, 8:25 am

beer monkey wrote: if they were my cats i would be constantly worried about them getting out the door or window/balcony, you know how fast they can be or maybe they are good in-door cats as you say, Good luck with that one hope it works out polehawk. i like a cat myself.

also interested to know, where do the cats travel on the plane is there a special compartment ?
extra cost ?
lots of paper work involved/pet passport ?
vaccinations/health any qaurantine etc ?
will someone check on them during the flight ?
insurance ?
do all airlines take pets ?
thanks.
Our cats are 13 and 8 years old. We do keep an eye on them constantly and they never get the chance to go outside. Some good info in Thaivisa about bringing pets to Thailand. Ask me after we arrive but think I can answer some of the questions, beermonkey.

We will be flying on Thai Airways and they allow only 2 pets in the cabin, period. Otherwise, they have to travel with the baggage. Pets can travel in cabin if the carrier bag and pet together weigh less than 20 lbs and fit under the seat in front of you.

Extra cost? Yep. Thai Air charges $240 for each animal.

Lots of paperwork? Vaccinations? Yep. Vaccinations, including rabies, have to be up to date and a gov't veterinarian has to sign a health certificate that states the pet is in good health.

Quarantine? Always a chance they could be placed in quarantine but very rare, according to posters in the other forum, unless animal appears to be sick. There is also some mention of animal customs personnel being paid under the table to expedite matters.

Pet in carrier bag will be under seat in front of you so the owner is responsible to watch after his/her pet during flight.

Insurance? I don't know.

Do all airlines take pets? Appears that they do but different rules for each one. Some are more strict. From the reports, Thai Air seems to be a pet friendly airline.

Check Thaivisa.com forum for more info. Here's a link that explains Thailand's policy, in general terms.

http://www.dld.go.th/webenglish/movec1.html

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 1, 2006, 3:17 pm

Thanks gulfcoast and polehawk good info.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”