Is there an increase in property crime in Udon?

General Udon Thani topics only!
rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 17, 2011, 5:34 pm

I posted some of these comments under Housing Estates today, and will repost here which is perhaps a more appropriate subject title. There is a bit of an update at bottom too on recovery of some of the stolen goods.

SECURITY
I am in Phuket this week dealing with a property crime issue, due to owning a luxury home in an insecure area.

I own two houses here, one has a long term renter in a luxury gated community, no problem. The other was our home prior to moving to Udon, located in Phuket Town for convenience (as stated in paragraph above) however it happens to be a custom built shophouse with no security around, and is a much nicer home than those surrounding it, facing a nun temple and adjacent to the big bookshop in town. We are friendly with all neighbors and one parks in our car port of the empty house so it looks somewhat occupied.

The day after leaving from our last visit, two theives who must have been casing the area, broke in and took some small stuff. Thanks to a friend and maid checking the house, we discovered this within a couple days, however we did not take appropriate action to further fortify the home other than the door in which they entered. Within two weeks, they came back, crawled over the wall and shimmied up the tree to the second floor balcony, broke in through sliding glass doors. They removed a built in washing machine from the 3rd floor, refrigerator, TV, stereo, tennis racquets, coffee maker, Graco baby cot, and even all the bedsheets. The police said on their next visit they would take out the air conditioners and loose furniture (they had already stacked the mattress up against the wall ready to be carried out) and further strip down the house. They also accessed some neighboring shophouses via our roof and took computers etc from those companies.

The two theives were apprehended with tons of loot after a crime spree of numerous locations, and are now doing time in Phuket Prison. One thief is local Phuket, however the lead guy is from Isaarn, a father of three, which is why he even took bedding and baby cot etc. I saw the police file and photos of an extraordinary amount of stolen goods.

Unbelievably, today at the Phuket police station, ten months after the second breakin (because I was disheartened and did not want to come to Phuket since the event), I was able to recover 3 tennis rackets, a Graco baby bed, and a dusty old sleeping bag from about 30 years ago. Tomorrow will reclaim the refigerator which is stored at a different location. As to the other stuff, the police said some of it was sent back to Isaan long ago by the thief so must write it off.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 18, 2011, 12:21 pm

Many estates have problems regarding burglaries and the like, more often than not as stated it is due to druggies/gamblers and the like seeking funds to pursue of use for their clandestine activities. Sukasame is one place I looked at 10 years ago and yes VIOLET was still there, and her entire attitude sent warning bells ijn my head so i declinere her offer of being ripped off and moved elsewhere not too far but far enough.
I have stated before than in the main many burglaries are opportunistic ones and a liitle common-sense and sensible precautions would in most cases deal with the problem.
i had an incident recently when a male popped his head over the wall, he saw a little dog and thought nothing of it, but about 5 secs later the mighty hound burst into view and he left ( correction fell off the wall ) hurting himself and will presumably not decide to venture another look, he has only seen two of the six dogs which I am sure would probable enjoy a small snack if only he would oblige.

I do not light up everything all of the time so one would have to see inside to know what is there and that invitation is never forthcoming from me.

Doigs although a tie can be a boon and various sizes do convey a problem for many Thais who decide upon a life of crime
i have seen what they do with a Cobra God knows what they would do to man ( not a pretty thought.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Re: Is there an increase in property crime in Udon?

Post by greatsnake » November 18, 2011, 3:21 pm

bigsnake wrote:YES YES YES there is an increase, might be a good idea to invest in a Security Camera(CCTV(BT20000 for four) ...
A better idea would be to invest in a set of proper IP cameras . That way you can not only see what is happening at your home from anywhere in the world, in real-time, but also record the images, email yourself/others based on the motions detected in the camera(s), etc. Well worth the investment.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 19, 2011, 7:14 am

RECOVERY OF STOLEN GOODS - HONEST POLICE!

Another quick add on to my comment above about our burglary in Phuket. On my third visit to the police station this week, yesterday the detective took me to another location to identify my stolen refigerator. Since ten months had passed, they had moved it....into another policeman's house! So there it was in the cop's kitchen, their chilled and frozen foods removed on the floor ready for the fridge to be carried out by it's proper owner me, (I was concerend about their foods, they assured me they had a second fridge in the back of the house). I could not believe it, they could have just as easily told me "you waited too long to come, so we disposed of it" though they were honest and I got the fridge back, they even had another policeman come with a police pickup so the three of us could load it and bring it to my house and help carry it in.

Thank you Thai Police for your service and honesty.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » November 19, 2011, 4:23 pm

Nah...the other refrigerator was a double door with ice and water dispenser obtain from another band of thieves. They told you to come get yours so they would not have to move it themselves (lol - joking!).
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » November 20, 2011, 9:20 am

Rct I wish I could say the same about the Udon lot, my recent experence with them just confirmed there lazyness. Sad to see but I didn't expect anything else .

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » November 20, 2011, 12:05 pm

bigsnake wrote:YES YES YES there is an increase, might be a good idea to invest in a Security Camera(CCTV(BT20000 for four) you might NOT get your stuff back in one piece, but at least there is a 90(+) percent chance) they will catch the rascal. Dogs are great if you are a dogs lover, and can give this TLC,(tender loving care) and don't mind a mess once in awhile. Security Guards <>forget those rascal sleep<>quite after a month or so no your routine and come back and rob you blind.
yes the cctv seems to be really helpful as far as allowing the police to possibly identify and apprehend
later-on but you're just really mostly lucky if you get any of your stuff back. don't see that happen often. [-o<

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » November 20, 2011, 12:45 pm

I think the value in CCTV is in it's deterrence. Making it visible, as well as posting signs announcing 'Video Surveillance', will encourage a thief to look for a better target.

Just curious, cali, do you have direct knowledge of how often victims get their stuff back? :-"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 20, 2011, 1:27 pm

Sateev wrote: Just curious, cali, do you have direct knowledge of how often victims get their stuff back? :-"
You do like getting that red rag out, don't you?

I learnt some time ago on UM that it is sometimes better to leave it in your pocket. =D>

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » November 20, 2011, 7:20 pm

Sateev wrote:I think the value in CCTV is in it's deterrence. Making it visible, as well as posting signs announcing 'Video Surveillance', will encourage a thief to look for a better target.
Ha! To a professional thief, it just means more to sell!
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 21, 2011, 7:21 am

Well advertising that your property is worth guarding is certainly a way of increasing the percentage that soemone will take a look.
When I bought my house all i did was to change the lights and have the wall (outside) painted, no overt illusion that a farang had moved in, no displays of opulence etc.
So far that seems to have worked. if you want to flash it about then you will attract the ne'er do wells to look again at your property, and the one thing I can say that they are as good as western criminals they have the patience to sit and watch for days and days and the day you slip up is the day they will enter.

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » November 21, 2011, 8:22 am

As if no one knows that a foreigner lives there...

Google around a bit, and if you can filter out all the vendors who have a vested interest in selling CCTV, you can find scholarly papers, mostly from that surveillance state called the UK, which say that CCTV has a deterrent effect on property crime, although not so much on street-level crime, mostly due to alcohol. They should know.

I guess this means that drunken thieves wont take heed of your prominently displayed CCTV cameras/signs, but the professional ones will.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 21, 2011, 2:34 pm

Another burglary as reported by an editor of the BP.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... burglaries

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 21, 2011, 2:53 pm

parrot wrote:Another burglary as reported by an editor of the BP.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... burglaries
So not in UDON then. :-" :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » November 21, 2011, 3:39 pm

The gripe I've always had about exterior cameras is that they advertise wealth and MIGHT be effective after the fact. You can watch (over and over again) your goods being stolen. (lol)

Good bars and locks, bright perimeter lights, and a noisy mutt (inside the house) are the best exterior deterrents IMHO. CCTV works best inside. You get a much better picture of the person(s) stealing your stuff which you can watch over and over again (lol) and it would be more helpful to the BIB. Also, if the cameras are the "hidden" type, thieves won't be searching for the recorder.

Not sticking to a daily routine, parking an extra vehicle in different places (ie.e motorbike in the driveway, by the fence, at the front door, etc.), and leaving extra shoes at the door(s) are also very good no cost deterrents to a thief trying to learn your routine. Darkening your home and car windows so people cannot see who left in the car or who remains in the house are other low-cost deterrents.

Just my 2 satang...

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 21, 2011, 4:16 pm

I could dress incognito so the neighbors wouldn't know I'm leaving the home! Or, just buy house content insurance and be done with it.
I know a few folks who rarely ever leave their homes.....in constant fear of a break-in. I'm all for security, insurance, safety....but in the end, I don't want to be a prisoner in my own home.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » November 21, 2011, 5:19 pm

I also suffered a burglary sometime back in Udon.

My office was located in Soi Jamnussorn inside a very quiet Cul De Sac, which was not easy to find, unless you knew it was there. Around me were approximately 11 other houses, all occupied with locals and/or/either farangs.

I headed out for a late dinner one night and when I returned home at around 11.30pm, we unlocked the main door (which had been untouched), walked in - then it took a few moments to actually realise what has happened.
My office space was upside down. Laptops/PC's/GPS Units/Fax machine/LCD's/Phones - anything of an ok value, and easy to carry.
They broke in through the back door by literally taking the door off of it's hinges, destroying all locks that were present to help prevent such an incident.

I still wholeheartedly believe that a neighbour was involved and so did the police. I never managed to get anything back from the burglary though.

I also know a few others around town, both in and outside the ring roads that have suffered the consequences of a break in.

The bottom line is, don't take chances, unless you don't really care.

I'm just glad my kids we not staying over at the time...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 13, 2016, 9:38 pm

This thread died a death. Is Sukkasem still in outlaw territory? Has Violet stepped up and co-opted the local plod to do some patrols? Is it a safer place to stay now?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 14, 2016, 7:19 am

Funny you should revive this thread. I have just come back from a meeting in Udon where the local police were discussing a rise in "cat" burglaries, over 20 in the last month, all in the Udon area.The occupants were all sound asleep when they were burgled, mainly of small high value items, gold, watches, phones and of course money.Entry was gained via easily opened windows without much effort .None of the victims heard a thing, despite in some cases hearing dogs barking .Whilst all the houses appear to have had Thai occupants, there is no reason for us farang to be complacent. I was robbed in this manner two years ago and the investigating officer said I was lucky not to have awakened as it could have led to a violent confrontation.I found it rather disturbing to know strangers were walking round my bedroom while I was fast asleep and I never heard a thing .I can assure you I have tightened up all apects of home security now.Suggest you check yours.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » December 14, 2016, 7:38 am

Just a little heads up on CCTV. I have installed a few cameras around my apartments and made them very visible but as someone says earlier in the thread, cameras usually take much clearer pictures indoors. If you install cameras in the house, a ridiculous scenario but it seems necessary in some places, I'd leave them so they were very obvious so that they can be seen as soon as entry is made into your property, cameras are a great deterrent but perhaps not if they are hidden away. A decent enough four camera system doesn't cost a lot, you can pick them up in Landmark for as little as 6000 baht. Although you will get a hard drive with 1TB of memory, I shouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure your system is capable of saving files onto the Cloud (most are these days), there are two advantages to this, one is that the intruder can't get at the files and the other is the files are accessible anywhere you have access to the internet.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”