Bus Transportaion BKK to Udon Thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
johndischert1
udonmap.com

Post by johndischert1 » January 16, 2012, 1:26 am

I am tired of paying Asia Air over a $100 for luggage every trip (as a frequent flyer I can carry two 70lb bags). Considering bus from BKK. Interested in your experiences. I will be arriving at about midnight local time. Are there buses leaving Mochit at all hours to Udorn? Best way to get to Mochit, my guess taxi... Any input would be appreciated. John

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » January 16, 2012, 4:57 am

Im not sure that they have them 24 hours.I do know they have them early in the morning to late at night.www,timetable.usa says it starts 6 in the morning,the last one 9 at night.i would call mochit

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 16, 2012, 8:41 am

There are a number of bus companies serving Udon Thani from BKK. Chon Tour has several classes of service and runs between BKK & Udon. Nakorn Chai Air also has several classes of service and runs between BKK & Khon Kaen where you can change to a local bus for the 1.5 hour ride to Udon. The 407 bus company also serves Udon from BKK. There are numerous other companies as well. Most bus companies run throughout the day and into the night but you'll have to contact them directly to get a schedule. I've used both Chon Tour & Nakorn Chai Air in the past and found them to be comfortable and reliable. Their top end class of service includes on board free wifi, tv, comfortable reclining seats, toilet & and meal. All buses for Udon Thani leave from Mo Chit which can best be reached by taxi/limo service from the airport . to the best of my knowledge.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 16, 2012, 9:44 am

Hi,

Why dont you fly with Thai airlines, I always use them also bring two bags never get charged no issues. I think people are under the impression that they are expensive, I have never paid over two thousand baht for the flight.

By the way the Thai airport authority allows all travellers two and from Thailand that baggage allowance its not because you are a frequent flyier.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 16, 2012, 9:53 am

I think the extra baggage allowance is good for domestic flights as long as it's considered a continuation of the trip. In other words you can't stop in BKK for a couple of days and get the extra baggage allowance. However, a short layover (I believe less than 24hours) will continue the extra baggage allowance. That's how it was explained to me by Thai Airlines on all my flights in the past from the US to Thailand.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » January 16, 2012, 10:02 am

newtovillagelife wrote:Hi,

Why dont you fly with Thai airlines, I always use them also bring two bags never get charged no issues. I think people are under the impression that they are expensive, I have never paid over two thousand baht for the flight.

By the way the Thai airport authority allows all travellers two and from Thailand that baggage allowance its not because you are a frequent flyier.
well said ... i always use thai air and have never been charged for extra luggage had almost 40kg once still no prob ,
i dropped the wifes brother inlaw at the airport last saturday flying airasia saying his ticket was only 1400 bt a happy man untill he checked in came back and said his luggage cost an extra 1800 bt ..... 3200 bt to get to bkk [-X .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 16, 2012, 11:11 am

Economy class passengers on Thai are (according to TG policy) limited to a maximum combined weight of 20kg for all checked bags.

However for the US/Canada only, the limit is 2 bags, each with a maximum weight of 23kg.

I have little sympathy for people stung by Air Asia baggage costs - their online booking system is pretty clear in offering savings for those who choose the baggage option at the same time as they buy the ticket.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » January 16, 2012, 12:34 pm

martynsnowman wrote:....i dropped the wifes brother inlaw at the airport last saturday flying airasia saying his ticket was only 1400 bt a happy man untill he checked in came back and said his luggage cost an extra 1800 bt ..... 3200 bt to get to bkk [-X .
Huh? Remarkable, indeed! :shock:
AA's Super Size for pre-booked baggage up to 30 kilos is B535 ... :-k

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » January 16, 2012, 1:03 pm

Hi,
I got a bus, Udon Air. 405B single to BKK. from Udon. It did not stop at any other bus station on the way and went arround Korat on the bypass. Took about six hours. and had T.V., reclining massage seats and air con. and meal, Thai and spicy. Very nice ride. Stopped once for a break. Best to check with the bus firms first, for times.
Last time i went home, to Britain, i brought 22K's of luggage back, that went in the hold and 9 kilos of hand luggage, plus my duty free stuff. was not charged for this with Thai Airways, on the BKK to Udon flight. And from Manchester to BKK i flew with Etihad, excuse spelling. Mind you this was 14 months ago.
If you want to travel by bus, and arrive BKK at midnight, book into a hotel and travel up the next morning, is IMO the way to do it. Also you will see a bit of the Thai country side.
Cheers Doug

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » January 16, 2012, 8:05 pm

Air Udon # is (02) 936-2735 in BKK and (042) 245-789 in Udon. They are upstairs at Morchit Song.

LiveLongAndProsper

Post by LiveLongAndProsper » January 16, 2012, 8:54 pm

Chan Tour is how I always travel. It's fast and like a previous poster said, tv, reclining massage chairs... The other buses can be torture...

Unfortunately, I believe that they only run till like 11pm. They don't go all night.

Cost is between 500 and 600 Baht.

If you want to save money and maybe some time... take the sky train to the station nearby and then jump in a taxi. Or if you are feeling adventurous, take the city bus for like 7 baht or some ridiculously low price like that. Ask the guy directing the buses if he can get you on the one to Morchit... then when you get on the bus, sit up front and ask the driver or busboy to tell you when to get off. They'll drop you behind the station, and you'll have to walk through a little market or something like that. It's kind of fun... bit of an adventure.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » January 16, 2012, 11:19 pm

LiveLongAndProsper wrote:Or if you are feeling adventurous, take the city bus for like 7 baht or some ridiculously low price like that. Ask the guy directing the buses if he can get you on the one to Morchit... then when you get on the bus, sit up front and ask the driver or busboy to tell you when to get off. They'll drop you behind the station, and you'll have to walk through a little market or something like that. It's kind of fun... bit of an adventure.
The last time I travelled from Suvarnabhumi to Morchit (about 18 months ago) there was no direct bus. I had to change buses at Victory Monument. It was about 4 or 5 am so it might be that there are no direct bus at any time of the day.

fussychunk
udonmap.com

Post by fussychunk » January 17, 2012, 12:54 am

Done the bus, done the plane.

At Christmas i was lucky with Nok air up to Udon, my bag weighed 30Kgs and hand luggage 8kgs, i had paid the 20kgs baggage allowance and expected to be charged for the 10kgs extra i had in my main bag... Nice woman didnt charge :)

Thai have never charged me for excess baggage.

I have got taxis over to Mochit in the past, hopefully you get a decent taxi driver. I got charged 250 baht, which i thought was good for over 20 kms in Bangers. Chantour is the best, but if i was you i would hang around in the airport and get a Thai air flight up. Cheap food is available throughout the night at the magic food point.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » January 17, 2012, 1:08 pm

fussychunk wrote:At Christmas i was lucky with Nok air up to Udon, my bag weighed 30Kgs and hand luggage 8kgs, i had paid the 20kgs baggage allowance and expected to be charged for the 10kgs extra i had in my main bag... Nice woman didnt charge :)
Lucky indeed! Just last week they did charge me for the 10 kilos excess baggage I had! However, it was no big deal. Just B500 :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 17, 2012, 8:12 pm

You had better be careful which 'mochit' you go to otherwise you might end up in Chiang Mai, Songkhla and so on. In other words, there is more than one bus terminal. They are based on the destination of the bus.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » January 18, 2012, 8:45 am

Morchit 2 (song) can be a little overwhelming. The terminal is a maze of little ticket counters. The Issan bus counters are on the third floor . The taxi will normally drop you at the front door so no problem. If you are dropped off on the street walk to the front and take the escalator upstairs. There are touts at the front door and they can point in the general direction of thew counter you need.

After you purchase your ticket the salesperson will tell you what bus bay your bus is at. The ticket will also have the bus bay number on it.

johndischert1
udonmap.com

Post by johndischert1 » March 2, 2012, 7:51 am

newtovillagelife wrote:Hi,

The standard weight is 50lbs, with elite or above you get 70lbs... I did as several suggested and flew with Thai Air. I spoke to them prior to my purchasing a ticket. they honor the other airlines rules, if you connect within 24 hrs.

johndischert1
udonmap.com

Post by johndischert1 » March 2, 2012, 7:59 am

jackspratt wrote:Economy class passengers on Thai are (according to TG policy) limited to a maximum combined weight of 20kg for all checked bags.

However for the US/Canada only, the limit is 2 bags, each with a maximum weight of 23kg.

I have little sympathy for people stung by Air Asia baggage costs - their online booking system is pretty clear in offering savings for those who choose the baggage option at the same time as they buy the ticket.
I understand that they charge extra for baggage, I just said I was tired of paying it! That is why I was exploring the bus angle as there is no charges for baggage... I do agee they make it clear on their web site and I always bought the max addtional weight you could but my wife loads the bags up... I flew Thai Air and was not charged any addtional fees.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » March 4, 2012, 12:00 pm

Ht,
Used a eouple of buses to BKK from Udon. The best, and cheapest was Udon Air, 405B single journey. The others, operating the same type of service, T.V., massage seats, reclining, A/Con. blankets and a meal, with a free bottle of water and a bottle of orange juice. with the same in bus features charged 30% more, and had a stop at K.K. bus station, at 0300Hrs, stop was about 15 mins, for the one i was on, and the cost was over 600B.
Us O.A.P.'s have to watch our pennies. And i myself will not take a car into BKK. Just me getting old i think. Mind you i don't think i'd take a car into London or Manchester now.
Going of the subject a bit. Does anyone know anything about the direct bus to Pattaya. I believe it leaves Udon about 0730Hrs, and goes over the mountain, HW 604 i blieve, and misses out BKK, the last time i was talking to someone about it, i think the cost was about 800B a single trip. Would like to know who runs it and where you can buy the tickets for it.
Cheers Doug.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » March 4, 2012, 2:37 pm

douglas wrote:... Would like to know who runs it and where you can buy the tickets for it ...
Sea-soon-chat (407) with office at bus station.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... 20#p276775

Return to “Travel & Transport”