British pies and pastries

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
trubrit
udonmap.com

British pies and pastries

Post by trubrit » July 31, 2012, 2:10 pm

I love Thai food but occassionally get a craving for " what my mum used to make." Good old fashioned steak and kidney pies and the like . Well I have found them . Its a small shop located on the road to the B&B resort in Nong Sam Rong , named , I think, Papa Farang's, well thats what's on the label .You can't miss it , after turning off on the road to B&B, it's on the right side with an orange blind out front .Apparently its an English guy making his own things .He bakes fresh bread daily and makes pies , pickles, sausages and various other delights, yes, just like your mother used to make .I bought a selection of pastries/pies ranging from Steak and kidney, chicken& mushroom and some huge cornish patties, as well as various fruit pies, apple, red currants and others too numerous to mention. His Cumberland sausages were out of this world. He also has a selection of German and American types too .I love a nice Branston and mustard piccalli pickle but up to now been reluctant to pay the exorbitant price for the imported ones, but his home made versions are superb, and only 150bht for a big jar .
From the picture you can see the Cornish Pastie was a meal on it's own.
ray 014.jpg
ray 015.jpg

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

papaguido
udonmap.com

British pies and pastry's.

Post by papaguido » July 31, 2012, 2:21 pm

trubrit wrote:I love Thai food but occassionally get a craving for " what my mum used to make." Good old fashioned steak and kidney pies and the like . Well I have found them . Its a small shop located on the road to the B&B resort in Nong Sam Rong , named , I think, Papa Farang's, well thats what's on the label .You can't miss it , after turning off on the road to B&B, it's on the right side with an orange blind out front .Apparently its an English guy making his own things .He bakes fresh bread daily and makes pies , pickles, sausages and various other delights, yes, just like your mother used to make .I bought a selection of pastries/pies ranging from Steak and kidney, chicken& mushroom and some huge cornish patties, as well as various fruit pies, apple, red currants and others too numerous to mention. His Cumberland sausages were out of this world. He also has a selection of German and American types too .I love a nice Branston and mustard piccalli pickle but up to now been reluctant to pay the exorbitant price for the imported ones, but his home made versions are superb, and only 150bht for a big jar .
From the picture you can see the Cornish Pastie was a meal on it's own.
ray 014.jpg
ray 015.jpg
In case anyone is wondering, it's Dean from Monkey bar. Located mid-way between The Retreat (Englishman"s Retreat) & BB resort.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 31, 2012, 2:25 pm

Yes you could be right Rito. He did say his name was Dean.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 31, 2012, 2:43 pm

Thanks for the rec TB. I shall endeavor to try this place on my next infrequent visit to Udon. While not particularly fond of British food in general, I love British pub food, especially the meat pies and pasties. I spent a few weeks with our American subsidiary in Manchester once and ate at the pubs almost exclusively. Unfortunately they seemed to stop serving food at dinner time and I didn't much care for the few restaurants that we tried, so we ended up taking a long lunch and making that our main meal. Also used to make frequent trips to Vancouver, B.C. and had a favorite restaurant with outstanding steak and kidney pies. Las Vegas also has a couple of British and Irish style pubs, run by real live Brits and Irishmen, that served excellent pub food.

However, when I lived in Udon I tried a few places that were raved about on the forums, and was disappointed with the bland offerings. Why is that? You would think that with the numbers of Brits living here you would find excellent meat pies, at least. Other nationalities, here in smaller numbers such as the Germans, Italians, and even a couple of Americans, manage to serve excellent fare. From reading about this fellow Dean on the other forum, it seems that he has broken the code.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 31, 2012, 2:49 pm

Trubrit,
I suspect you are referring to Dean's ( of Monkey Bar infamy!), long promised new shop, the opening of which was delayed due to his unfortunate medical problems. Pleased that he has apparently overcome his problems, and I wish him every success in his new project, while cautioning him to listen to his medical advisers, and to take it easy.
As Udon's fountain of all knowledge (gossip :lol: ), surprised Trubrit, both that you didn't know who the 'English guy' is, and also didn't know all aforementioned items were/have been, available on order from Dean at Monkeys Bar for many months. [-X
Suppose, given your advanced years, you are not able to get out and about as much as of yore, like us youngsters, thus being unable to keep track of the really interesting things like new shops, football results and girlie bars! :( ;) :lol: \:D/ :-"
PS. Incidentally you shouldn't take any notice of the untrue rumour Dean is putting about that his Cornish Pasties, Steak & Kidney Pies and Apple Pies are as good as those my wife cooks! :-" :-" (No black pepper in any of our ENGLISH recipes food, Dean! [-X :-$ :-$ :-" ) .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 31, 2012, 3:49 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:Trubrit,

As Udon's fountain of all knowledge (gossip :lol: ), surprised Trubrit, both that you didn't know who the 'English guy' is, and also didn't know all aforementioned items were/have been, available on order from Dean at Monkeys Bar for many months. [-X
Suppose, given your advanced years, you are not able to get out and about as much as of yore, like us youngsters, thus being unable to keep track of the really interesting things like new shops, football results and girlie bars! :( ;) :lol: \:D/ :-" .
Fountain of knowledge? Suppose that beats being called a know all. :lol:
As for not getting out and about. I would think I do more than my fair share of wandering, just not in the same places as you obviously. Bars and the like are certainly not my thing as in most of my meanderings I am accompanied by my lovely wife and certainly wouldn't subject her to the site of semi drunk farangs holding sway in a bar. She already has a low opinion of some from the little interaction she does have, without adding to it .Anyway back on topic. If Dean was running a bar he was surely wasting his talents. Since writing the OP I have devoured one of his delicious Melton Mowbray style pork pies with the piccalli . It was superb. \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 31, 2012, 4:57 pm

Yes the same Dean who is a sponsor on the other forum and doesn't hesitate to slag off Udon Map.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » July 31, 2012, 5:09 pm

jackspratt wrote:Yes the same Dean who is a sponsor on the other forum and doesn't hesitate to slag off Udon Map.
What does this have to do with buying his product if it is as good as people say? I myself have tried his pies and they are good. If a product is good and I enjoy that product and want that product then I will buy that product. Personal feelings of others will not effect my decession and shouldn't effect others. Loyality to a Forum?? Come on, pure rubbish.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 31, 2012, 5:19 pm

jackspratt wrote:Yes the same Dean who is a sponsor on the other forum and doesn't hesitate to slag off Udon Map.
As you and I occasionally do to them . His pies still taste good though and I put my stomache before inter forum rivalries . :-"

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 31, 2012, 6:05 pm

It gets sillier all the time :badteeth:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 31, 2012, 6:33 pm

My post was not about Deans products, nor UT. It is raising the issue of UM providing a free publicity for a guy who has no time for this forum and has quite openly said so.
You are all perfectly free to buy your pies from whoever you wish.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 31, 2012, 6:41 pm

personally and I do not really care what people say about me, but when one is talking about good food, who gives a damn who makes it or sells it, to bring up the old war about who slags who off is very very childish. In my mind Deans Pies as well as John pies are good as is mali's Pies for that matter . People will buy what they consider the best for them. despite previous posts and slagging off as JS states i do not care. All pies are good some bettter than others.
IF THIS GETS ME BARRED SO BE IT, BUT I THINK NOT CHILDREN LEARN TO PLAY IN THE BIG WIDE WORLD WILL YOU.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 31, 2012, 7:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:My post was not about Deans products, nor UT. It is raising the issue of UM providing a free publicity for a guy who has no time for this forum and has quite openly said so.
You are all perfectly free to buy your pies from whoever you wish.
I think you are missing the point Jack.Whilst undoubtably it will generate more business for him, my motive in posting was to enable other members to share the benefit of his products. Are you really suggesting I should have kept it a secret?
I posted earlier on another topic the name of a good rheumatologist, now he wasn't a sponsor . Shouldn't I have done that? I am sure Lee doesn't promise the sponsors that we will buy, exclusively, their goods .I know Lee well enough to suggest he will give it a couple of days then send someone round to sign him up, having proved the effectiveness of Udon Map advertising and if Dean is as good a businessman as he is baker, he won't hesitate to join . :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 31, 2012, 11:33 pm

One of us is missing the point Val - and I know exactly what I had in mind when I posted.

Try reading my posts again, without assuming I had you in mind (or my sights) when I wrote them. Your motives were never an issue.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » August 1, 2012, 12:11 am

jackspratt wrote:Yes the same Dean
who is a sponsor on the other forum
and doesn't hesitate to slag off Udon Map.
I take it he's on your foes list then :-k

Pies and sausages are damn good though :D
Bring back Saint

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

It is pouring with rain outside, and there is almost nothing else on TV other than the Olympics so, what the hell, time for a lighthearted 'chat' with JS and TB (like your new nickname?). I am assuming that, like me, both of them will have, by now, finished their medically recommended afternon naps :-$ :-$

Trubrit wrote:
"As for not getting out and about. I would think I do more than my fair share of wandering, just not in the same places as you obviously"
In that case, beware; you have a double in Udonthani! :-s :lol: ).

" Bars and the like are certainly not my thing as in most of my meanderings I am accompanied by my lovely wife and certainly wouldn't subject her to the site of semi drunk farangs holding sway in a bar"
The majority of those I see are fully drunk and intent on holding something quite different to Sway, whoever she/he is! \:D/ ).

" She already has a low opinion of some from the little interaction she does have, without adding to it".
Nevertheless, presumably you woldn't deny that it must be difficult for her, being married to such a paragon of virtue all those years! :roll: :-s ;) [/b]:-

Anyway back on topic.(at last [-X :lol: ).

"If Dean was running a bar he was surely wasting his talents'"
Agreed, although actually, Monkey Bar is staffed entirely by Dean & family, and is less a Bar and more a small restaurant, and socially orientated venue. In fact, a venue which even the most virtuous of us...sorry, you Trubrit.... could visit and remain unsullied by all us decadents busily offending your delicate sensitive nature whilst indulging our base instincts. \:D/ After he has found a buyer for the Monkey Bar, Dean intends to concentrate his future efforts solely on his new business.

My dearest admirer Jackspratt wrote: "My post was not about Deans products, nor UT. It is raising the issue of UM providing a free publicity for a guy who has no time for this forum and has quite openly said so."

Jack, your point is of no greater or lesser value than that viewpoint expressed by others that, in so doing, the Forum has provided a service to it's members in highlighting a source for those seeking quality food of the nature provided by Dean. Both views have merit. :-k
In any event, after we had some discussion on that very subject last night, both you & Trubrit will be interested to learn that Dean has indicated he is now seriously considering becoming a sponsor, for this new business. So perhaps that news it will enable you to sleep better tonight, Jack :D

Aardvark wrote: by Aardvark » July 31, 2012, 6:05 pm
"It gets sillier all the time"

And funnier :D :lol: \:D/ But isn't it lovely that nobody is being abusive or impolite and, probably to the unrestrained joy of Bob, that most militant of Moderators, members have remained mostly on topic =D> =D> \:D/
(check for private pm tomorrow).

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 1, 2012, 3:52 pm

Don't worry about me, mat - I sleep the sleep of the innocent every night.

I can probably even claim (some of the) the credit if Dean does sign up with UM - and he wouldn't be the first UM detractor from UT who has got all warm and cuddly over here when it suits their interests. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 1, 2012, 3:54 pm

panick wrote: I take it he's on your foes list then :-k
Rather difficult to do when he is not a forum member. :roll:

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » August 1, 2012, 4:28 pm

jackspratt wrote:
panick wrote: I take it he's on your foes list then :-k
Rather difficult to do when he is not a forum member. :roll:
That's a stroke of luck then ..... :roll: :roll:
Bring back Saint

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » August 1, 2012, 4:38 pm

@ Jack's Prat

I think Dean has sent you an answer on the other forum
.....tonight i had 3 people tell me that good things were being said about me on udon map,thats very nice of them... but after reading ,i was a bit sad about someone called jackspratt..he thinks i have a problem with udon map ? i dont have any problem with that site or anybody on that site, never have ,never will. even though i dont know him , and never have met the guy , he seems he dont like me. ok up to him. so thanks to all my supporters on udon talk, and my friends everywhere, as for jackspatt...sad useless people everywhere..jackspratt your not alone, theres many villages missing thier village idiot. why when people have never met you do they spout crap on the internet, i have no problem with udon map fullstop, i just choose to use udon talk if thats ok with people

you know people are open minded..... well some of them
:-k
Bring back Saint

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”