Thais Love Avocados

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
redwolf
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by redwolf » July 27, 2013, 8:34 am

BobHelm wrote:
bumper wrote:Government Project store, where is that at?
Royal Farm Project Bumper.
Bottom floor of the Complex. Same side as Boots the chemist, a couple of shops down from that walking towards the back of the store (towards Topps etc.)..
That's a great store, just have to be there when the fresh items roll in, as they're gone quickly.

Excellent highland brown rice available...

btw I heard that not liking avocados is against the law in California not sure about other states, so folks beware.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

bumper
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by bumper » July 27, 2013, 12:07 pm

BobHelm wrote:
bumper wrote:Government Project store, where is that at?
Royal Farm Project Bumper.
Bottom floor of the Complex. Same side as Boots the chemist, a couple of shops down from that walking towards the back of the store (towards Topps etc.)..
I definetely need to get out more :shock:

Been long enough now I got an entire new Udon to learn.

I worked at keeping myself busy, I think I have accomplished it :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by rickfarang » July 27, 2013, 5:09 pm

Either they were already sold out by this (Saturday) afternoon or I am getting old and my sight is going...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by BobHelm » July 27, 2013, 5:18 pm

I was in there just after 10 this morning & they only had the Hass variety left.
They were immediately as you enter the shop but were packed in trays - 3 to a tray.
So i don't think you would have missed them Rick if they still had them..
They were 90 baht for the 3, so nothing like as good a deal as stoneman got.
However 3 is sufficient for me & as they were 45 baht each the last time Topps had any I still felt like I got an OK deal..

Shado
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Shado » July 27, 2013, 5:50 pm

Was there about 13:00 today and they had both Haas and Petersens. Haas packaged 3 to a tray and the Petersens in plastic bags marked ฿55.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Asiaphile » July 27, 2013, 9:02 pm

About this time last year I bought 3 bags of avocados there. Two for myself and 1 as a present for a friend from the States who'd told me that, like me, he was fond of avocados but had never seen them here.
Neither my avocados, nor his ever got soft. They turned black and remained hard as cannon balls. :cry:
I think I must still have one lying around intact in the garden.
The ones that I buy whenever I visit Loei have never had this problem.

pompui
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by pompui » July 28, 2013, 6:45 am

How good or bad are Thai avocados compared to Aussie or American ones :-k

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » July 29, 2013, 8:48 pm

Pompui..

The Hass avocados are exactly the same...All Hass grown all over the world all came from one tree near San Diego...But it is my opinion that the Booth 7 and Petersen varieties are just as good...They contain a few percent less oil than the Hass, but their size and texture make up for the difference...And they are twice the size...

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by rickfarang » July 30, 2013, 3:05 am

Stop it you guys! You are making me hungry!

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Asiaphile » July 30, 2013, 4:01 pm

Stoneman,
Do you happen to know the name of the variety that is quite common and widely available in Florida, Central and South America?
It’s pear shaped and grows quite big. I guess that the average weight must be close to (or over) one kilo. The skin is green and fairly smooth and not so thick. Its colour doesn’t change when it ripens. The flesh is rather firm and runs from a vivid green near the skin to a golden yellow near the stone.
I like them much more than the variety commonly grown here (Petersen?).
I find the local ones not so strong in taste and the flesh a bit ‘watery.’

pompui
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by pompui » July 30, 2013, 4:10 pm

Asiaphile wrote: I find the local ones not so strong in taste and the flesh a bit ‘watery.’
I am happy to pay more for a better tasting imported Avocado,this thread mentions 48 lowest at Makro and have seen highest at 69 baht at VM,presume Makro sells local and VM sells imported. 8)

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » July 31, 2013, 8:57 am

Asiaphile wrote:Stoneman,
Do you happen to know the name of the variety that is quite common and widely available in Florida, Central and South America?
It’s pear shaped and grows quite big. I guess that the average weight must be close to (or over) one kilo. The skin is green and fairly smooth and not so thick. Its colour doesn’t change when it ripens. The flesh is rather firm and runs from a vivid green near the skin to a golden yellow near the stone.
I like them much more than the variety commonly grown here (Petersen?).
I find the local ones not so strong in taste and the flesh a bit ‘watery.’
Not sure, but the main variety grown in FL is the Fuerte...This was also grown in CA before the change to Hass...They changed to the Hass in CA because it is more resistant to the cold weather..

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Asiaphile » July 31, 2013, 10:45 am

Thanks. I googled it and judging from the description and pictures you might be right.
Too bad they are not available here. I did see them in Indonesia and the Philippines though.
I'm loving it. It's my favourite. It tastes great and I like it even better than the Hass.

pompui
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by pompui » July 31, 2013, 11:23 am

Apologies got the price of the Haas imported avocados wrong for VM,was in there this morning,not 69 but 79 baht 8)

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Asiaphile » July 31, 2013, 3:54 pm

^ This morning I was at Big C and saw that they are selling the imported, Australian Hass at B90 a piece.
The local ones at the Government Project Store are the same size, so still a bargain at B90 for a tray of 3.
Can't wait for mine to get ripe! :)

Shado
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Shado » July 31, 2013, 4:12 pm

Not to stray too far off topic but I was once on a fishing trip to Venezuela and stopped at a cafe in Caracas for lunch. I wasn't very hungry but saw they had a shrimp stuffed avocado salad on the menu. I ordered it and was amazed at the sized of the avocado. It was about the size of a cantalope. The center was filled with chilled shrimp and the whole thing was covered with a pinkish colored sauce, perhaps a combination of mayo and tomato sauce. It was all I could do to eat the one half of the avocado and shrimp.

They are sooth skinned, huge and quite delicious. I don't know the name of them and don't recall seeing them anywhere else.

Examples Venezuelan avocados like the ones I've seen there:

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Asiaphile » July 31, 2013, 4:36 pm

Those are the variety of avocados I was talking about two posts up!
The filled avocado with shrimps is called 'aguacates y camarones con salsa rosada.' Very yummy, isn't it?
You're right about the 'pinkish colored sause' (salsa rosada). They use coctail sauce or a mixture of mayonaisse and ketchup for that.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » August 3, 2013, 10:49 am

There are literally hundreds of avocado varieties around the world...The pictures above appear to be Petersens or Booth 7, but could be a local variety..

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by Asiaphile » August 3, 2013, 12:37 pm

I thought that Peterson and Booth 7 were round(ish).

stoneman
udonmap.com

Thais Love Avocados

Post by stoneman » August 4, 2013, 7:59 am

Asiaphile wrote:I thought that Peterson and Booth 7 were round(ish).
Booth 7's look like softballs, but the Petersens still have a bit of an oval shape...

Stoneman

Return to “Open Forum”