A Chap's Guide to the 2014 Commonwealth Games

General sports news and discussions.
Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 25, 2014, 2:47 am

Bugger me sideways, England picks up Golds in the Judo and Triathlon on Day 1 of the Games but old Bradders Wiggins loses out to the Aussies. It looks like Earnest was carping too soon, readers.

Hannah Miley picks up a Gold for Scotland in swimming.

Mo Farah blames a bad pint for pulling out of the Games today...we've all been there, readers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/2014

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 25, 2014, 8:32 am

I'm looking forward to this thread. I read it as a warm invitation to Zids to post photos that chaps are interested in. This will be a bit of a challenge if the Scottish weather gets a bit cold.

What happened to the Sri Lankan cyclists socksy? Presumably not hung drawn and quartered. They must have stopped doing that in Scotland a while ago now even for the activity described in Earnie's first 3 words.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 25, 2014, 8:53 am

GT93 wrote:I'm looking forward to this thread. I read it as a warm invitation to Zids to post photos that chaps are interested in. This will be a bit of a challenge if the Scottish weather gets a bit cold.

What happened to the Sri Lankan cyclists socksy? Presumably not hung drawn and quartered. They must have stopped doing that in Scotland a while ago now even for the activity described in Earnie's first 3 words.
A warning from the local 'Polis' Earnest and ordered off the motorway before they were collected by an articulated lorry.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 25, 2014, 9:36 am

Ross Murdoch breaks the Commonwealth Games record as he earns a shock win over fellow Scot Michael Jamieson in the 200m breaststroke. Jamieson was red-hot favourite for Gold and Murdoch had never beaten Jamieson, 25, over 200m in a major final but did this time including a personal best time.
Alba gu bràth

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 25, 2014, 9:46 am

"Mo Farah blames a bad pint for pulling out of the Games today...we've all been there, readers". Must have been that murky puddle water lukewarms stuff in England Earnest, because the illness started two weeks ago before his arrival where they sell good stuff.
Alba gu bràth

wallabyjack
udonmap.com

Post by wallabyjack » July 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Australia's golden girls break World Record in 4x100m relay
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/exte ... z9c5xuj3mc

WELCOME to our rolling coverage of Day 1 of the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Scroll down to find all you need to know from a jam-packed day of action. The latest updates are on top.

Here are the highlights:

• Australia’s female swimmers set a new world record in the 4x100m freestyle relay;

• Earlier, Emma McKeon won our first gold medal in the pool, finishing first in the 200m freestyle;

• Our male cyclists beat England in the final of the team pursuit, otherwise known as the Ashes on Wheels;

• Anna Meares won gold in the 500m time trial, with another Aussie, Stephanie Morton, claiming silver.

LINK: World loves awesome crying guy

Australia's Anna Meares, centre, and Stephanie Morton, left, won gold and silver respecti

Australia's Anna Meares, centre, and Stephanie Morton, left, won gold and silver respectively. Source: AP

7:20am — AUSSIES DETHRONED IN RYTHMIC GYMNASTICS

Australia’s female rythmic gymnastics team fell short of defending its title from the Delhi Commonwealth Games, with Danielle Prince, Amy Quinn and Jaelle Cohen finishing fifth.

Canada claimed the gold medal, followed by Wales and Malaysia.

Prince did progress to the individual all-round final, where she will be joined by Cohen, but she failed to qualify for any of the single apparatus finals.

Amy Quinn competes in the team final of the rythimc gymnastics.

Amy Quinn competes in the team final of the rythimc gymnastics. Source: Getty Images

Danielle Prince of Australia.

Danielle Prince of Australia. Source: Getty Images

7:15am — MEARES EARNS PRAISE FROM BIGGEST RIVAL

For years, English cyclist Victoria Pendleton was Anna Meares’ biggest rival. Now she’s a massive fan.

“She’s very cool and calm when she approaches competition,” Pendleton told Channel Ten after Meares’ victory in the 500m time trial. “She seems to have it under control.

“It’s experience more than anything. Looking in that track centre today, there was nobody there that was more decorated.

“She’s just got that confidence, that inner confidence.”

MORE: Anna Meares claims our first gold medal

Former English cyclist Victoria Pendleton.

Former English cyclist Victoria Pendleton. Source: Channel 10

6:30am — AUSTRALIA SMASHES WORLD RECORD

Australia’s female swimmers have set a new world record time in the 4x100m freestyle relay. Bronte Campbell, her sister Cate, Emma McKeon and Melanie Schlanger came first by a very long way, ahead of England, Canada and New Zealand, with a time of 3:30.98.

“We just wanted to blow out all the cobwebs and see what we could do,” Bronte said after the race. “I just can’t believe it. I’m lost for words.”

Her sister, who swam the final leg, was blown away by the support of the crowd.

“The crowd was on its feet, screaming, and I could almost hear these girls behind the blocks,” Cate said. “We (Bronte and I) dreamt of representing Australia together, but to hold the world record together is incredible.”

This was Emma McKeon’s second gold medal of the day, having won the 200m freestyle already.

“Very overwhelming. I suppose I’m just trying to keep relaxed, but enjoy it at the same time,” she said.

It was another great achievement for Melanie Schlanger, who was alongside Cate Campbell on the team that won gold in this event at the London Olympics.

“It’s just about doing the best you can in the leg that you’ve got each. That’s how world records get broken,” she said.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 25, 2014, 1:38 pm

What have we done to deserve this yahooing from the Aussie press wallabyjack? I'd rather you posted from say the Jamaican press. They're probably more chilled out than you lot.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 25, 2014, 2:38 pm

Earnest wrote:Bugger me sideways, England picks up Golds in the Judo and Triathlon on Day 1 of the Games but old Bradders Wiggins loses out to the Aussies. It looks like Earnest was carping too soon, readers.

Hannah Miley picks up a Gold for Scotland in swimming.

Mo Farah blames a bad pint for pulling out of the Games today...we've all been there, readers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/2014
Struggling to open the link,ok with this one :D
http://www.glasgow2014.com

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 26, 2014, 2:26 am

Getting my jollies watching the ladies 50 metres freestyle swimming heats on TV. More Aussie girls than you could shake a stick at. :D Watch out for the Campbell sisters from Oz (scrumptious, readers). Is it true they have size 14 webbed feet like Thorpie?

Do Kiwis swim? :shock: :-#
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 27, 2014, 12:51 am

'Ooh, I must have fallen asleep in the Sun, did I miss the Rugby Sevens?'

Mick Gault - this bloke used to work in our avionics workshop at Marham in Norfolk, probably still does. He's been going to the Commonwealth and Olympic Games for donkey's years. Good on him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonweal ... s/28500831

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 27, 2014, 7:03 am

Started yesterday UK time.

17:15 - Rugby Sevens: Sevens has been in the Commonwealth Games since 1998, but this year's tournament is all the more important as the sport will be in the Olympic programme for Rio 2016.

Below is a BBC link with a review of the matches.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28506317
Alba gu bràth

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 27, 2014, 4:38 pm

I have only just seen some photos of the Scottish team's games uniform. The Thais might like the bright colours. You'd be a very handsome man socksy wearing that around Udon. You would get some different comments from farang. :D

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 27, 2014, 5:14 pm

Breaking news...

An Aussie has just won the Games Marathon. :shock:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 27, 2014, 5:20 pm

I can already hear the yahooing from the west ... :D

The Aussies usually aren't by nature modest winners. I prefer the Scots, awful uniforms aside, to win rather than the Aussies.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 27, 2014, 5:23 pm

Bloody hell, the Aussies have 51 medals to England's 45 - I'm calling for a parliamentary inquiry after the recess - UKIP wouldn't let this happen, readers.

I have it on good authority that all Oz athletes are fed a winning diet of freeze dried Roo turds mixed with lashings of Bluetongue Alcoholic Ginger Beer. Thorpie used to dip his webbed feet in it.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 27, 2014, 5:29 pm

Lawks - Oz has 27 medals for swimming. :shock:

Bizarrely, the Kiwis have forgone swimming for Judo - 5 medals, GT - I didn't know it was a national sport. I must pay a visit sometime, I obviously don't know enough about 'em.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 28, 2014, 8:01 am

GT93 wrote:I have only just seen some photos of the Scottish team's games uniform. The Thais might like the bright colours. You'd be a very handsome man socksy wearing that around Udon. You would get some different comments from farang. :D
Never done it in town GT but on the Golf Course - YES.

Meanwhile here is a long summary as to how the Rugby Sevens competition concluded with a South Africa Gold.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/28519547 [-(
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 28, 2014, 8:57 am

Latest medal table is....
1.Australia,26 Gold,21 Silver,21 Bronze
2.England,23G,17S,17B
3.Scotland,11G,8S,11B
GT93 wrote:I'm looking forward to this thread. I read it as a warm invitation to Zids to post photos that chaps are interested in. This will be a bit of a challenge if the Scottish weather gets a bit cold.
Back in Udon after spending 3 days in the wild party city of Sawang Daen Din.....
I tried googling for appropriate Commonwealth games pictures but they mostly appeared to be ones of men ! :(
Indeed,The Daily Mail has a "handsome chaps" feature for the Commonwealth Games ! :shock:
Can you imagine the furore there would be on Udon Map if I tried publishing those pictures ?
Old forumites swallowing their false teeth,having angina attacks and contacting Immigration to revoke my visa !
But I've managed to get 4 pictures which give a "balanced view",no matter what your tastes ! 8)
Jayne Nisbet,Scottish high jumper.jpg
Ashleigh Whittaker,Australian sprinter.jpg
Linda Leverton,Australian triple jumper.jpg
Andy Stewart,Donald wheres yer troosers (300x298).jpg
Andy Stewart,Donald wheres yer troosers (300x298).jpg (105.86 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » July 28, 2014, 9:32 am

Zid How do you know if a Scotsman in a kilt is a McDonald or a Campbell. Simple isn't it. Lift his kilt up and see if he has a Quarterpounder.
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 28, 2014, 10:07 am

Good one,socksy lad :D but I never knew your surname was Campbell ! :-$
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Return to “World Sports”