ClimateGate busts things wide open

World news discussion forum
ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 17, 2014, 3:33 pm

Australia Repeals Carbon Tax

"Today the tax that you voted to get rid of is finally gone, a useless destructive tax which damaged jobs, which hurt families' cost of living and which didn't actually help the environment is finally gone," a jubilant Mr. Abbott told voters in a news conference after the Senate's decision.

He said the carbon price was acting as a A$9 billion a year handbrake on the economy, which was adjusting to the end of a record mining investment boom that helped shield Australia through much of the recent global economic downturn."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/australi ... 1405560964

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 25, 2014, 7:39 pm

After about 15 years of evidence of no increase in global warming a cooling trend is noticable.

For example, in the U.S. 28,504 Low Max Records were set in last 365 days according to the NOAA.

A “Low Max” means that the maximum temperatures for the day was the lowest it has ever been.

http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/07/24/ ... -365-days/

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 26, 2014, 6:45 am

HOT HOT HOT.

Yes, there was a cold spell in North America earlier this year. BUT every month this year apart from February has globally set new highs for average temperature. That's right, this year is on track to be the worlds hottest since records were available (1880). As i predicted about 5 months back. Is it 'statistically significant'? maybe not, but all the top ten warmest months/years bar one have occurred this century.

http://earthtechling.com/2014/07/last-m ... -all-time/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 26, 2014, 8:24 am

Some people will never accept the figures Rick. They don't want to accept them.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 26, 2014, 11:10 am

GT93 wrote:Some people will never accept the figures Rick. They don't want to accept them.
Especially you GT

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 26, 2014, 11:13 am

rick wrote:HOT HOT HOT.

Yes, there was a cold spell in North America earlier this year. BUT every month this year apart from February has globally set new highs for average temperature. That's right, this year is on track to be the worlds hottest since records were available (1880). As i predicted about 5 months back. Is it 'statistically significant'? maybe not, but all the top ten warmest months/years bar one have occurred this century.

Strange that the British Met Office officially notes there has been no warming for over 15 years Rick - you better email them and set them straight - refer to their website.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 26, 2014, 11:19 am

ronan01 wrote:

Strange that the British Met Office officially notes there has been no warming for over 15 years Rick - you better email them and set them straight - refer to their website.
Global mean surface temperatures rose rapidly from the 1970s, but have been relatively flat over the most recent 15 years to 2013.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/e ... system.PDF

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 26, 2014, 11:24 am

ronan01 wrote:
ronan01 wrote:

Global mean surface temperatures rose rapidly from the 1970s, but have been relatively flat over the most recent 15 years to 2013.

And thats desite massive increases in CO2 - past the 400 mark - were doomed I tell ya, dooooommed unless the evil deniers change their wicked ways, repent you sinners and turn ff your lights during Earth Hour for your forced 60 minutes of piety

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 26, 2014, 6:10 pm

The records also clearly show each decade since the 1970s has been successively warmer than the last, including the decade since 2000
A quote from the met office website ....... and in 6 years time will just need to add an 's' to decade. Met office never said 'no warming for 15 years'. if you select your start and end dates, it is possible to say this - as long as you start from one year. Any other 15 year period shows warming.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 26, 2014, 8:35 pm

post-5427-0-71014700-1406289864.jpg
Some relevant climate history.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 26, 2014, 9:21 pm

rick wrote:
The records also clearly show each decade since the 1970s has been successively warmer than the last, including the decade since 2000
A quote from the met office website ....... and in 6 years time will just need to add an 's' to decade. Met office never said 'no warming for 15 years'. if you select your start and end dates, it is possible to say this - as long as you start from one year. Any other 15 year period shows warming.
A pathetic response Rick. Pathetic.

"Global mean surface temperatures rose rapidly from the 1970s, but have been relatively flat over the most recent 15 years to 2013."

The Met office specified the period "15 YEARS TO 2013", not me, and relatively flat means no increase = NO WARMING. I think you need to read what the Met Office wrote Rick, I accept it does not fit in with your meme, but thats your problem.

No warming since 1998 - source British Met Office - despite massive increases in CO2:

By the way Rick- how do you know what the temperature will be in 6 YEARS TIME? Explain that.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 27, 2014, 5:03 am

RELATIVELY flat. It just means that the warming measured is not great enough to be significant, because of the range of error within the measurements (0.03 degrees C/decade). If we take the LAST 15 years, and divide up into 5 year periods, how many years make it to the top 5 warmest years? 1999-2003 = 1; 2004 -2008 = 1; 2009-2013 = 2 (including the hottest). This year - 5 months are warmest on record. I think the odds are slightly towards warming.There hasn't been any cold years this century compared to the 20th century.

Remember temperature is only one sign of warming. Arctic sea ice - down 50% in 30 years; sea level still rising; Glacier mass balance - down every year for 22 years; ocean heat content - still rising. The energy is still going into the system.
By the way Rick- how do you know what the temperature will be in 6 YEARS TIME? Explain that.
I don't. but i do know that this decade is on track to be as warm if not warmer than the last decade (up about 0.01 C so far). So to say this decade will be warmer, odds are in my favour.

Anyway, it is good that it is slowing down - at least for a while. Gives more time to address the issues

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 27, 2014, 3:30 pm

rick wrote:RELATIVELY flat. It just means that the warming measured is not great enough to be significant, because of the range of error within the measurements (0.03 degrees C/decade). If we take the LAST 15 years, and divide up into 5 year periods, how many years make it to the top 5 warmest years? 1999-2003 = 1; 2004 -2008 = 1; 2009-2013 = 2 (including the hottest). This year - 5 months are warmest on record. I think the odds are slightly towards warming.There hasn't been any cold years this century compared to the 20th century.

Remember temperature is only one sign of warming. Arctic sea ice - down 50% in 30 years; sea level still rising; Glacier mass balance - down every year for 22 years; ocean heat content - still rising. The energy is still going into the system.
I don't. but i do know that this decade is on track to be as warm if not warmer than the last decade (up about 0.01 C so far). So to say this decade will be warmer, odds are in my favour.

Anyway, it is good that it is slowing down - at least for a while. Gives more time to address the issues
What a lot of waffle.

You say the measurement error is 0.03 degrees C / decade and then speak of a 0.01 degree FORECAST increase in the current decade.

WAFFLE - YOUR JUST MAKING IT UP!

"One of the more comical spectacles of recent years has been the sight of scientific cheerleaders for man-made global warming rushing round, trying to find some explanation for the increasingly embarrassing fact that, for 17 years now, global temperatures have been failing to rise as their computer models predicted."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... aster.html

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 28, 2014, 7:22 am

Not Waffle. I did the maths. averaged temperature for 2000-2009, and for 2010-2013. Of course, depends on the datasets you use, but the average temperature for 2010-2013 is fractionally up on the previous decade.... Have you done the sums or just believe what some 'climate expert' with a degree in classics tells you? not a forecast, just FACT. oh, and the 0.01 degrees is not for the decade, just for the first 4 years. AND i didn't say the measurement error is 0.03 degrees, i said it was WITHIN the measurement error, but i understand it could easily be misinterpreted when i read what i had written. The 0.03 degrees C/decade for warming was a figure i got from NOAA.

Yes, slower than the computer models predicted, but the models are just that for forecasts -predictions. Predictions are rarely perfect. And no-one has yet to come up with a model that says CO2 has no effect on climate ....

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 28, 2014, 7:29 pm

rick wrote:Not Waffle. I did the maths. averaged temperature for 2000-2009, and for 2010-2013. Of course, depends on the datasets you use, but the average temperature for 2010-2013 is fractionally up on the previous decade.... Have you done the sums or just believe what some 'climate expert' with a degree in classics tells you? not a forecast, just FACT. oh, and the 0.01 degrees is not for the decade, just for the first 4 years. AND i didn't say the measurement error is 0.03 degrees, i said it was WITHIN the measurement error, but i understand it could easily be misinterpreted when i read what i had written. The 0.03 degrees C/decade for warming was a figure i got from NOAA.

Yes, slower than the computer models predicted, but the models are just that for forecasts -predictions. Predictions are rarely perfect. And no-one has yet to come up with a model that says CO2 has no effect on climate ....
"So the bottom line is this: When it comes to future climate, no one knows what they’re talking about. No one. Not the IPCC nor its scientists, not the US National Academy of Sciences, not the NRDC or National Geographic, not the US Congressional House leadership, not me, not you, and certainly not Mr. Albert Gore. Earth’s climate is warming and no one knows exactly why. But there is no falsifiable scientific basis whatever to assert this warming is caused by human-produced greenhouse gasses because current physical theory is too grossly inadequate to establish any cause at all."

The author thanks Prof. Carl Wunsch, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Prof. Paul Switzer, Department of Statistics, Stanford University, Prof. Ross McKitrick, Department of Economics, University of Guelph, Prof. Christopher Essex, Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Western Ontario, Prof. Sebastian Doniach, Departments of Physics and Applied Physics, Stanford University, Dr. Gerald L. Browning, Research Scientist (Emeritus), Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA), Colorado State University, and Ms. Christine Adams, Redwood City, CA, for reviewing a prior version of this manuscript. The patience and consideration of Prof. McKitrick in performing all the Phillips-Perron tests in SI Section 4 is also very gratefully acknowledged. Any errors and all conclusions herein remain the sole responsibility of the author.

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/a-c ... of-belief/

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 29, 2014, 4:02 pm

Sun, wind and drain

Wind and solar power are even more expensive than is commonly thought

"The trouble, as Paul Joskow of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has pointed out, is that levelised costs do not take account of the costs of intermittency.* Wind power is not generated on a calm day, nor solar power at night, so conventional power plants must be kept on standby—but are not included in the levelised cost of renewables. Electricity demand also varies during the day in ways that the supply from wind and solar generation may not match, so even if renewable forms of energy have the same levelised cost as conventional ones, the value of the power they produce may be lower. In short, levelised costs are poor at comparing different forms of power generation."

"At the moment, most rich countries and China subsidise solar and wind power to help stem climate change. Yet this is the most expensive way of reducing greenhouse-gas emissions. Meanwhile Germany and Japan, among others, are mothballing nuclear plants, which (in terms of carbon abatement) are cheaper. The implication of Mr Frank’s research is clear: governments should target emissions reductions from any source rather than focus on boosting certain kinds of renewable energy."

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-a ... n-wind-and

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 31, 2014, 9:16 am

SHOCK U.S. SENATE REPORT: LEFT-WING ‘BILLIONAIRE’S CLUB’ USING ENVIRONMENTALISM TO CONTROL THE US ECONOMY AND SUBVERT DEMOCRACY

(senate report embedded in article):

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Lond ... ity-Report

EXPOSED: SEA CHANGE – THE SHADOWY ONE-PERCENTER FOUNDATION WAGING WAR ON AFFORDABLE ENERGY

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Lond ... ble-energy

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 31, 2014, 4:44 pm

"Of course, you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans and all animal life. I know....it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kids "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cent light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs.....well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes, FOUR DAYS - by that volcano in Iceland has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud at any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its years on earth.

Yes, folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over One year - think about it.

Of course, I shouldn't spoil this 'touchy-feely tree-hugging' moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keeps happening despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change. And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud, but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year."

http://www.cdapress.com/columns/cliff_h ... 4493f.html

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 31, 2014, 6:55 pm

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » August 3, 2014, 4:01 pm

Return to “World News”