banned to use phones while driving

General Udon Thani topics only!
wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » July 31, 2014, 10:29 am

this will give the police a lot off money

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 39874.html

MOTORISTS are banned from using their smartphones while driving, be it for calling or texting, Deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak announced yesterday.

The warning came after it was discovered that some drivers had their mobile phones attached to the steering wheel in order to be able to text while driving.

Adul reminded drivers that this practice was illegal as the law prohibits the use of phones while driving. Offenders stand to be fined between Bt400 and Bt1,000.

Chatting or texting while driving is considered a distraction, as the driver needs to look at the phone and use a hand to type. The law allows the use of hands-free sets for talking only.

Adul said all violation cases would be referred to the court.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 31, 2014, 10:49 am

It is about time they made "hands free" illegal as well.

Stopping the car BEFORE answering the phone or making a call is the ONLY safe way

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 31, 2014, 11:02 am

Nothing new really, they occasionally enforce it here too. I know, it cost me 400bt for answering a call.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 31, 2014, 11:24 am

I also have been fined years ago in Udon for being on the phone while driving. Nothing new there.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » July 31, 2014, 11:53 am

yeah this isn't new, it's been enforced on samui even and that's a place that rarely has anything enforced. i got a ticket for answering a call while sitting at a stop light on samui. on the other side of the stoplight was a random checkpoint for whiskey money and i had to pay 300thb.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » August 1, 2014, 7:20 am

When you google about the banning,there are links to it being a law back in 2007 :shock: Better late than never to apply the law 8)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 2, 2014, 7:36 am

The last case I did as an Intensive Care Paramedic in Australia, was to attend a fatality of a 19 yo lady , who had ran off the road on a sweeping bend at medium speed ( 50-60 kph ) struck a tree and killed herself.

Found inside the car was a phone with a 1/2 completed sentence , replying to a sms text sent 2 minutes before the 000 call to the Emergency Services was registered .

Coroner found the cause of death was inattentive driving due to the use of the deceased's mobile phone.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » August 3, 2014, 2:01 am

Just about all motor vehicle laws aren't enforced in Thailand,so I believe it's A joke.I mean they do A small fraction but that's about all.Thailand needs to get serious.
They need yo start charging high fines and quit goofing off.I just don't see it.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » August 3, 2014, 7:58 am

I for one do not want to see Thailand become a nanny state, like UK and USA I like my freedom of choice.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 3, 2014, 8:08 am

BossHogg69 wrote: by BossHogg69 » August 3, 2014, 7:58 am

I for one do not want to see Thailand become a nanny state, like UK and USA I like my freedom of choice.
So what you are saying is if you are in Thailand and your family is killed by someone who is either talking or texting on a phone while driving you won't have a problem with that....

Its one thing to prevent Thailand becoming a nanny state, its another to put your brain in your pocket which a lot of expats do when they come to Thailand, all there education go's out the back door as they try to become Thai! I have seen so many do this.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 3, 2014, 8:17 am

According to experiments...
Cell Phone Use as Dangerous as Drunken Driving
http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/Driving ... 92MDPmSyUI

In their normal light hearted manner the MythBusters had a look at it as well..

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythb ... nimyth.htm

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 3, 2014, 8:22 am

coxo wrote:
BossHogg69 wrote: by BossHogg69 » August 3, 2014, 7:58 am

So what you are saying is if you are in Thailand and your family is killed by someone who is either talking or texting on a phone while driving you won't have a problem with that....

Its one thing to prevent Thailand becoming a nanny state, its another to put your brain in your pocket which a lot of expats do when they come to Thailand, all there education go's out the back door as they try to become Thai! I have seen so many do this.

You have no freedom of choice. IT'S THE LAW and designed to reduce road deaths as are drink driving laws.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 3, 2014, 8:26 am

The company im working with is also looking at having the dedicated drivers we have world wide, change the ring tones on the drivers phone, that indicate a caller for a pick up etc,

What's happening is the driver hears the phone ring, looks at it, even though the policy is not to answer it. It still causes a distraction. So also does a repetitive call from people, who just forget that the driver is driving and not permitted to pick up the call.

A nominated ring tone, also for alerting the Driver to pull over for an urgent call, where possible .

Hands free calls are also not permitted in any company vehicle , whilst moving.

The jury is out on the use of GPS units whilst driving.

Victoria in Australia, also outlawed smoking and also consuming foods and drinks whilst driving.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 3, 2014, 8:30 am

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

TGSA01
udonmap.com

Post by TGSA01 » August 3, 2014, 12:03 pm

Fully agree with an (enforced!) ban on cell phone calls and messaging, but doubt that a ban alone will make much difference (that 'ban' will also get ignored). A fine for eating an apple in my car? Yeah, right! What's next? Banning the radio or the CD player, could also distract a driver, one could argue. Or someone sitting next to the driver, talking? Maybe, that should be banned too (yes, I know, many husbands would agree with such a ban).

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » August 3, 2014, 12:10 pm

I hate all these mamby pamby laws, FREEDOM!!!!!!

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » August 3, 2014, 1:19 pm

BossHogg69 wrote:I hate all these mamby pamby laws, FREEDOM!!!!!!
You're not referring to Mel Gibson as William Wallace on his horse are you Boss? I'm sure there wasn't an offence of using a cellphone whilst riding a horse at that time.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » August 3, 2014, 1:38 pm

That bugger Wallace has knicked my horse, quick call the Po Lice before he gets us all in trouble!
My Kingdom for a Horse.jpg

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » August 3, 2014, 1:58 pm

Excellent lads, no freedom of choice and freedom of speech. =D>

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 3, 2014, 4:16 pm

I guess freedom of choice is good so long as it doesn't encroach on another persons freedom or well being, then it becomes selfish.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”