Škoda Yeti

General Udon Thani topics only!
Shado
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by Shado » August 22, 2014, 4:35 pm

Was headed home late morning and at the south ring road/Hwy 2 junction (Khon Kaen/Udon highway) the car in front of us at the stoplight was a Škoda Yeti with red Udon license plates. I had never seen one before. Had to search the web to find out where they are made. Just goes to show that I'm not much of a motorhead.

A Škoda Yeti with white license plates.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by fatbob » August 22, 2014, 4:43 pm

Skoda's were made in Russia, they were popular in Aus for about a year in the eighties, that's about how long they took to fall apart, on par with Tata from India. Leave em well alone!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by stattointhailand » August 22, 2014, 5:00 pm

I think you will find that they came from Czechoslovakia Coxo (Lada were the russian ones).
VW bought them out a long time ago and since then they have won loads and loads of rallies and other motoring events.

According to Wiki ...

n August 2011, a special Škoda Octavia vRS set the world record at the Bonneville Speedway and became the fastest car in the world with an up to two-litre engine, when it hit 227 mph (365 km/h).[32] The current fastest production Škoda car is the Škoda Superb 3.6 FSI 4x4,[citation needed] with a top speed of 250 km/h (160 mph) and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) in 6.5 seconds.

The above record was unofficially beaten by DM on the Udon ringroad, when he realised he might not get back to Udon before the bars closed :-$

Britains fav Skoda
skoda 120.jpg
skoda 120.jpg (3.56 KiB) Viewed 2030 times

fatbob
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by fatbob » August 22, 2014, 6:08 pm

Yeah dead right, the Lada Niva was the car I was thinking about.

rufus
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by rufus » August 22, 2014, 7:03 pm

They were originally Czech cars and the quality was ordinary. Now the quality is very good. This is a very well made car.

UM-Tech
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by UM-Tech » August 22, 2014, 7:36 pm

Admin Note: Thread adjusted. Let's keep it civil folks...

rufus
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by rufus » August 23, 2014, 9:47 am

"Let's keep it civil folks..."
Happy to. I just wonder why people post stuff on topics they seem to know nothing about. The Yeti has had some very good reviews.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by fatbob » August 23, 2014, 11:51 am

rufus wrote: by rufus » August 23, 2014, 9:47 am

"Let's keep it civil folks..."
Happy to. I just wonder why people post stuff on topics they seem to know nothing about. The Yeti has had some very good reviews.
I think I acknowledged my mix up between Skoda and Lada before you posted Mr Rufus. I would love to know what your point is apart from being just another keyboard warrior!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by SJP17 » August 23, 2014, 12:26 pm

I wonder if it was imported or are Skoda's now available in Thailand ????

udonman
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by udonman » August 23, 2014, 12:35 pm

In 1991 Skoda became part of the Volkswagen family so it carries a good pedigree.
They are available in Thailand.

socksy
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by socksy » August 23, 2014, 1:49 pm

In the UK you can buy the Skoda or Seat alternative to similar VW's at quite a saving. The Seat even has the same engine as the VW
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Shado
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by Shado » August 23, 2014, 3:30 pm

udonman wrote:In 1991 Skoda became part of the Volkswagen family so it carries a good pedigree.
They are available in Thailand.
The one I saw yesterday certainly had the red dealer's number plate from Udon Thani province. Can't say where it was purchased but licensed here.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by BigRick808 » August 25, 2014, 9:07 pm

If it's anything like a VW it will require a lot of regular maintenance service to run properly(other than old beetles) without that you will have many problems. I would also be concerned about the price and availability of parts and knowledgeable repairmen. Do yourself a big favor and stick with a Japanese car.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by stattointhailand » August 25, 2014, 9:40 pm

BigRick808 wrote:If it's anything like a VW it will require a lot of regular maintenance service to run properly(other than old beetles) without that you will have many problems. I would also be concerned about the price and availability of parts and knowledgeable repairmen. Do yourself a big favor and stick with a Japanese car.
I've had Toyota and Mitsu's for the last 10 years in Udon and EVERY SINGLE TIME without fail that a "new part" is required that is not covered by normal service (engine oil, air filters etc) they have had to send to Bangkok for the part, so having a Jap car is absolutely no different BigRick.

No matter how big the "service centre" they just do not stock spare parts in Udon.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by BigRick808 » August 25, 2014, 9:58 pm

"so having a Jap car is absolutely no different BigRick."

No different than what?

reddevil
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by reddevil » August 26, 2014, 6:06 am

stattointhailand wrote:
BigRick808 wrote:If it's anything like a VW it will require a lot of regular maintenance service to run properly(other than old beetles) without that you will have many problems. I would also be concerned about the price and availability of parts and knowledgeable repairmen. Do yourself a big favor and stick with a Japanese car.
I've had Toyota and Mitsu's for the last 10 years in Udon and EVERY SINGLE TIME without fail that a "new part" is required that is not covered by normal service (engine oil, air filters etc) they have had to send to Bangkok for the part, so having a Jap car is absolutely no different BigRick.

No matter how big the "service centre" they just do not stock spare parts in Udon.
Had my Honda serviced a few weeks ago and asked them to check the gearbox as it had just started to make a noise when being put in reverse.

Went to collect it same afternoon and was informed some part broken cost 5,000 bht but because my car only 47,000 km part free because not yet reached 100,000 km.

Spare parts in stock.

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by MrFixer » August 26, 2014, 11:43 am

Its pretty much a world-wide trend that car dealerships only keep routine service items in stock (fluids, filters and friction products such a brake pads and clutch kits). There is such a variety of models/varaints/ages of vehicles that no service department will hold stock of a part on the off-chance that it will be needed. They are not going to lock up their money in stock. Non-service items are held in the manufacturer's central warehouse and shipped out on request.

If a service department is holding stock of a non-routine-service item then that's a sure sign that the part in question is a regular failure item with high demand.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by stattointhailand » August 26, 2014, 1:04 pm

If a service department is holding stock of a non-routine-service item then that's a sure sign that the part in question is a regular failure item with high demand.

or that someone else is now driving around with the same fault that you used to have :-"

Shado
udonmap.com

Škoda Yeti

Post by Shado » December 20, 2014, 9:13 pm

Not a Škoda Yeti this time but certainly something I've not seen in Udon Thani before. This past week, at the ring road / Non Bua intersection stop lights we pulled up behind a white SsangYong Stavic SV 270. It's the first one I've even seen. I failed to notice where the license plate was from as I was trying to figure out what kind of vehicle it was. I suppose we can expect to see more of these "different" kinds of cars as Udon continues to grow.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”