Take away coffee rip off

General Udon Thani topics only!
Arosolius
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Arosolius » September 22, 2014, 11:22 am

Now I've taken up 3 in one because it reminds me of the Holy Trinity and that God's presence is all around us all the time.
Every time I open a sachet I think of the milk being God's milk of human kindness and the sugar reminds me of Sweet Jesus.
The coffee? well, that's the Holy Ghost who reminds me that religion is addictive.

timmy
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by timmy » September 22, 2014, 11:42 am

and that reminds me of why i drink TEA .....

redwolf
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by redwolf » September 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

stereolab wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:For some reason, Thais cannot make coffee, well, they make it with little or no knowledge of how to make it. Even ' Bon cafe ' makes good coffee badly. Many years ago I was taught, by a Superior Coffee Roasting and grinding shop in Golders Green, London that good filtered coffee needed a pinch of salt in the grains to take away the bitterness that is normal in many coffees today. I do that at home and never have bitter coffee, Thais think that coffee has to be bitter the more bitter the better. So all coffee needs two to three sachets of sugar.

Thais should stick to tea or other drinks , when you consider that sales of three in one coffees is the norm for Thais then having Coffee and Milk and sugar separate completely confuses them. Even my Cleaner struggled, now she makes pretty good coffee with out sugar for me, after learning that boiling water is the best as is fresh milk.
Would I be correct in saying that some "BonCafe" outlets, are not exactly what it says on the box. Some I have visited are serving poor quality coffee, certainly not Boncafe coffee, but a cheaper bean. A proper Boncafe outlet is well run, neat and tidy, with a wide range of foods and off course their own bean selection, there is an outlet in Udon which does not hit any of the foregoing standards.
yeah, the one I went to in Udon simply made garbage water and called it coffee. they only seem like they are there to do one thing, sell espresso machines. everything else is an illusion. like this rabbit.

mcdonalds even makes a better cuppa.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Arosolius » September 22, 2014, 5:16 pm

timmy wrote:and that reminds me of why i drink TEA .....

Ah yes, that reminds me. You'd be amazed at what you can read in the tea leaves.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stereolab » September 22, 2014, 7:30 pm

[

Would I be correct in saying that some "BonCafe" outlets, are not exactly what it says on the box. Some I have visited are serving poor quality coffee, certainly not Boncafe coffee, but a cheaper bean. A proper Boncafe outlet is well run, neat and tidy, with a wide range of foods and off course their own bean selection, there is an outlet in Udon which does not hit any of the foregoing standards.[/quote]

yeah, the one I went to in Udon simply made garbage water and called it coffee. they only seem like they are there to do one thing, sell espresso machines. everything else is an illusion. like this rabbit.

mcdonalds even makes a better cuppa.[/quote]

For the sake of clarity, my initial post was not referring to the new glossy Boncafe outlet, but to another smaller shop in deepest Udon. I only visited the new outlet recently, and hence my post re "over attentive shop staff" which was sadly taken over by a fight between 2 members and the thread being locked.

I have purchased coffee recently at 2 separate Starbucks and both were very weak indeed. McDonalds is indeed better.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Stantheman » September 22, 2014, 10:53 pm

Weak coffee is a Thai tradition, that's is why most Thais drink instant coffee. When I first visited Udon 11 years ago it was hard to find ground coffee and coffee maker to use at home. I started bringing my own coffee after first visit, but with no coffee maker it was a "tea bag" ground coffee that I could leave in boiling water as long as needed to get a strong cup. When in Udon still do not drink coffee except at home.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by ting_tong » September 23, 2014, 1:07 am

stereolab wrote: I have purchased coffee recently at 2 separate Starbucks and both were very weak indeed. McDonalds is indeed better.
try alains place on ring road, udon delices
they roast coffee on site and make a good coffee

stereolab
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stereolab » September 23, 2014, 10:07 am

Yes indeed, I have tasted his coffee, very good standard.

Shado
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Shado » September 23, 2014, 10:41 am

We use Alain's coffee and consider it to be top of the line.

lahgon29
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by lahgon29 » September 24, 2014, 1:05 pm

Dose Espresso, opposite Mai yaa. 2 sisters worked in the Sydney coffee culture cafes there, and brought coffee making skills and the coffee itself back. They've got an African blend from Sydney. Not cheap..65baht for flat white, but It's quality made. Long black is double shot, a la standard in Oz. Great taste.

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Arosolius » September 24, 2014, 5:51 pm

Thanks but what's Mai yaa and where is it?

Shado
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Shado » September 24, 2014, 6:29 pm

Look here:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.40423 ... ,19z?hl=en

This restaurant has been around for a long time. Extensive menu and good value.

Actually, the map location looks to be bit off but it is in that area. Look for the "Wall's" ice cream sign.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stereolab » September 24, 2014, 8:02 pm

lahgon29 wrote:Dose Espresso, opposite Mai yaa. 2 sisters worked in the Sydney coffee culture cafes there, and brought coffee making skills and the coffee itself back. They've got an African blend from Sydney. Not cheap..65baht for flat white, but It's quality made. Long black is double shot, a la standard in Oz. Great taste.

Thanks, I will check them out on next UD visit. re the price, I am happy to pay for quality, although I was not willing to pay the 650baht for a pack of coffee in Starbucks (650baht) unbelievable.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”