No Windows 9 to be released

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 1, 2014, 8:16 am

Yes, that is correct.
Microsoft will go from Windows 8.1 (the current version) to Windows 10, missing out 9 all together,

The cynical will see this as Microsoft wanting (& needing) to make its' next Operating Systems release get as far away from the disaster of Windows 8 as possible.. :D
& there could be more than a little truth in that, although Microsoft will probably claim a different reason.
That is that they see Windows 10 as the last, great, Operating System from them.
The plan appears to be that they will make incremental alterations to it as time goes by, rather than ever releasing a Windows 11 (or any other name).

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-christen ... TREc64629f
Microsoft is expected to release a preview test build of Windows 10 sometime in the next few days. The company is expected to finalize Windows 10 by the spring of 2015, according to sources.
So we still don't know exactly what it will look like.
However the smart money is on some sort of hybrid between Windows 7 & Windows 8.1
In saying that, the smart money got it very wrong with what Windows 8 would look like... :D

It is, however, difficult to see how it can move a million miles away from Windows 8.1 as Microsoft want a single operating system running everything from desk tops to phones. The lower size screen really needs an icon based system to operate effectively & take any of the huge market share away from Apple or Android.
So they either need to convince the larger unit users (desktops & laptops) that an icon driven desktop is the way to go, or offer them an alternative (more traditional) way of doing things,
If Microsoft cannot do that then it stands to lose a big chunk of the corporate business who may well chose to go down a Linux or Google route themselves.
Then the additional danger for Microsoft is that the organisations will also chose to move away from Microsoft Office & other MS products.
This would probably mean the death of Microsoft as we know it..

Hence Windows 10 (or whatever else they wish to name it) is a major undertaking & one that they just cannot afford to get wrong..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 1, 2014, 1:38 pm

The BBC has a bit more about details of the new OS. Although it is still very much in the development stage.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29431412
windows.jpg
Including some of what they see as the major changes from Windows 8
Windows 1.jpg

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » October 1, 2014, 1:45 pm

I have had windows 8 for over 6 months now and still spend time hurling abuse at my laptop.
I am no computer expert but was happy with what I knew and could do, it is just amazing how they managed to over complicate the simplest of things and take the fun out of IT life

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 1, 2014, 3:44 pm

Just ordered a new laptop; and one of the purchase criteria was that it must be available with Win 7.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » October 1, 2014, 3:56 pm

yeah, I wonder what ever happned to all those MIcrosoft Certified Solutions Experts... that used the be the #1 sellout path of IT, opt-in to some faux-technology and hang out on the NTBugTraq mailing list... 10 revs later still holding a major % of the user population hostage...
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Harpo
udonmap.com

Post by Harpo » October 2, 2014, 3:21 am

Udon Map wrote:Just ordered a new laptop; and one of the purchase criteria was that it must be available with Win 7.
The IT guy I use for upgrades, loading software etc. when I purchase a new computer, reported quite a few of his customers have removed windows 8 (8.1) and reloaded with windows 7. IMHO I am thinking that Microsoft has over complicated their windows 8 (8.1) for the average punter, maybe the reason why folks are reverting back to windows 7.......cheers harpo
Great Southern Land

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » October 2, 2014, 3:47 am

Harpo wrote: IMHO I am thinking that Microsoft has over complicated their windows 8 (8.1) for the average punter, maybe the reason why folks are reverting back to windows 7.......cheers harpo
Hell yes.
Problem is in the UK all outlets are only selling new Pc's / laptops with Windows 8 or 8.1, no option for 7.
I was told when I bought mine that after a short time I would get used to it, the salesman obviously told a few others the same as when I returned he no longer worked there.
I have been told, by those who know far more than me, the idea was to compete head on with Apple and targeting hi tech graphical consumer thingy people.
Spoilt all my fun and many others too.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 3, 2014, 8:22 am

Here is a preview of Windows 10 as it currently looks with some nice screen shots & information on how it is trying to fix the Windows 8 issues.
http://www.zdnet.com/a-closer-look-at-t ... 289/#photo

Anyone can download the Windows Technical Preview (as it is called) of Windows 10.
It is a far from complete OS at this stage though & the idea is that users will feed back issues & suggestions that Microsoft may (or may not :D ) add into the next release of it.
So if you are an adventurous soul & fancy working for Microsoft for nothing then maybe this is a good read before you embark on your adventure.. :D
http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-wind ... TRE17cfd61

Personally I don't think that I will bother & will carry on experimenting with non Microsoft OS solutions instead..

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: No Windows 9 to be released

Post by JoeThrows » October 3, 2014, 9:05 am

I made the switch to macs about 5 years ago and still curse myself for waiting so long to do it. Literally everyday someone on my FB feed is complaining about a virus or other problem with windows, meanwhile I've had 5 years of flawless computing/surfing etc

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 3, 2014, 9:29 am

Sorry Joe you won't get me riding on the back of that Apple band wagon either.. :D

I think that it was, in part, Microsofts' wish to emulate the Apple approach to its' users that has been part of the Microsoft meltdown.

Don't forget that Apple have a whole host of trying to be resolved issues with its' latest operating system release (iOS 8.0) that put the Windows 8.0 fiasco almost into a good light.
After all, people might not have liked Win 8, but at least it worked as intended... :D

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: No Windows 9 to be released

Post by JoeThrows » October 3, 2014, 10:26 am

I'm not here trying to convert anyone. You can't blame apple though for Microsoft botching things the way they have. I haven't heard of any issues with ios 8.0 but that's a phone, not a laptop so it's apples and oranges. Microsoft has a phone system that literally no one uses and they even just paid 400 million usd to a u.s. Tv network for product placement for their "surface" and the commentators just can't seem to stop calling them iPads.

I don't qualify as an apple fan boy either, I'm still on a 4s phone and my current Mac is 4 years old, no need to change because they both work flawlessly.

maxbenoit
udonmap.com

Post by maxbenoit » December 26, 2014, 8:07 pm

With our luck 10 will also be a bust in terrible. Everybody had been predicting that Windows 9 would be a great operating system based on the fact that it seems like every other operating system they came out with was good. Now we are hearing that they skip the good one (Windows 9) and are going straight to another bad one (Windows 10)!

If this is truly going to be the last major operating system they announce that I'd bet that it will be like Office 365 and require an annual fee for its use. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have a continuing source of income from operating systems which is something they obviously don't want to lose.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”