Passion fruit

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
trubrit
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by trubrit » October 2, 2014, 7:03 pm

The Royal Project shop in the center has got Passion fruit in 1kg bags for 75bht today.They also have 4 corn on the cobs in a bag for 50bht, the're delicious.

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 2, 2014, 8:01 pm

Love passion fruit ... Dao came home yesterday with a bottle full of the lovely juice from inside ... including the black blobbs looks like yellow frog spawn ,,,, 50 bt for 1kg liquid inside ive kept having a slurp now n then and put some on my special K this morning ...twas brilliant much better than a Manc Artery clogger fry up on another thread .

The Royal project shop is a cracking place they do have a guy and his missus delivering their products from a pick up as well , we have just requested a regular delivery for them to drop off fresh produce at the new gaff once opened .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pomps
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by pomps » October 8, 2014, 7:56 pm

Plenty of products according to the website,google translate required 8)
http://www.royalprojectthailand.com/product

trubrit
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by trubrit » October 9, 2014, 9:38 am

Looks like they have had another delivery today. Now 55bht a kilo.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by parrot » December 10, 2014, 2:08 pm

Several vendors at the jungle market on the Udon-Nongbualamphu Hwy (about kilo 36 from Udon) had passion fruit for sale today. One lady had kilo bags for 20 baht, 3 for 50. And my favorite passion fruit juice vendor was selling the personal juice size containers for 10 baht each......or 12 for 100 baht. I bought 24. I've been buying from her for several years......comparable to the best I've had (made myself)......and certainly a much much better deal than the 250baht 750ml bottle on sale at Tungsrimeuang!

uluru
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by uluru » December 10, 2014, 3:41 pm

They're dead easy to grow too. Just put a ripe one on the ground and stamp it into the soil & you'll have dozens of seedlings come up.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by the-monk » December 10, 2014, 6:36 pm

Few weeks ago an individual Project Shop at Central Plaza had some for 60-80 B per kg.
They were looking brownish/purple so i decided not to buy.
I had some back home before they were a bright yellow.
I would be interested in growing some from seeds as explained in the above poist..
In UD how do you know the ripe from the unripe Passion Fruit ?
Thanks to all.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by BobHelm » December 10, 2014, 6:44 pm

Brownish purple is the colour i have always seen them in, monk.
When they are over ripe the skin starts to wrinkle.
They are always good from the Royal Project Shop, the only issue is that I have is you get so many I have trouble in consuming them before they get old & rather dry.

parrot
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by parrot » December 10, 2014, 6:48 pm

If you want a passion fruit at the peak of being ripe.....you buy the one that has a wrinkled but firm skin. Most of the ones you see for sale haven't reached that point....they're still very edible......with added sugar, salt, fish sauce, or pepper combinations. But nothing is like a wrinkly one for sweet natural flavor.

As for growing your own......be careful allowing them to grow up into your trees. In a year, they'll overtake the canopy. Better to grow them along a barb wire fence or some other low hanging patio cover.

Somewhere I wrote that passion fruit juice and vodka go together like soup and sandwich. I'm sure rum would work as well.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by mortiboy » December 10, 2014, 6:50 pm

Whats all this about passion fruit?
Never tried it, so bought a few from Tesco
Sour as ****! Is that normal?
Looks awful inside too. Like someone innards :-&
Mai mee tahng !

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by BobHelm » December 10, 2014, 6:59 pm

Fresh fruit salad - banana, pineapple, dragon fruit, oranges (whatever is available) scoop out a couple of passion fruit & mix. Refreshingly sharp compared to the other fruit.
Any sort of dessert (cheese cake for example) scoop out & add - result as above.
Banana milk shake, couple of bananas in a blender along with milk & a small carton of ice cream, honey & lime juice. Add the contents of a couple of passion fruit, blend & drink.

Just a few ways of attempting to consume a kilo... :D

macca46
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by macca46 » December 10, 2014, 7:20 pm

I also like passion fruit never heard about what uluru has suggested because they are grown from a graft and the best variety are Nellie Kelly dark purple skin very sweet and yellow on the inside there are may varieties including a yellow skin and an egg shape will look out for some next visit.

uluru
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by uluru » December 11, 2014, 8:14 am

From the Nellie Kelly website Macca

"While Nellie Kelly’s grafted passionfruit vines have obvious advantages there are certain circumstances where the non-grafted varieties are more suitable. Nellie Kelly’s non-grafted Black and non-grafted Banana Passionfruit vines are recommended for gardens with coarse or sandy soils where grafted vines would be prone to suckering. These non-grafted vines also thrive in warmer, tropical areas where frost is not a problem."

macca46
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by macca46 » December 11, 2014, 8:33 am

Thanks for that you are never to old to learn will try the the stomp method and see what happens.

Barney
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by Barney » December 11, 2014, 8:45 am

Never was much for passion fruit, didn't like th tart hit and the seeds put me off. But since I have moved to SE Asia have been more inclined to try and preserver with different varieties of fruit. Mainly looking for healthy diet these days after my heart disease problem a few years back , I looked up passion fruit and found the following. I think they are pretty good for us Homo Sapiens.

I usually go to http://www.nutrition-and-you.com

Health benefits of passion fruit
◾Delicious, passion fruit is rich source of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and fiber. 100 g fruit contains about 97 calories.
◾The fruit is a very good source of dietary fiber. 100 g fruit pulp contains 10.4 g or 27% of fiber. Good fiber in the diet helps remove cholesterol from the body. In addition dietary insoluble fiber by acting as a bulk laxative helps protect the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure time to toxic substances in the colon as well as binding to cancer-causing chemicals in the colon.
◾Passion fruit is good in vitamin C, providing about 30 mg per 100 g. Vitamin-C (ascorbic acid) is a powerful water soluble anti-oxidant. Consumption of fruits rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against flu-like infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.
◾The fruit contains very good levels of vitamin-A (provides about 1274 IU per 100 g), and flavonoid antioxidants such as β-carotene and cryptoxanthin-β. Current research studies suggest that these compounds have antioxidant properties, and along with vitamin A are essential for good eye-sight.
◾Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin-A, and flavonoids may helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
◾Fresh granadilla is very rich in potassium. 100 g fruit pulp has about 348 mg of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cells and body fluids, and helps regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
◾Furthermore, granadilla is a very good source of minerals. Iron, copper, magnesium and phosphorus are present in adequate amounts in the fruit.

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by Arosolius » December 11, 2014, 9:18 am

Nellie Kelly don't actually have any varieties of their own. They just graft existing varieties onto other rootstock such as banana passion fruit which is very vigorous. But banana passion fruit in Australia was declared a noxious weed a few years back and so the Nellie Kelly company were forced to choose another rootstock.

I have lots of passion fruit in the garden both yellow and purple varieties which I grew by pretty much the same method as described by Uluru. I cut them in half and stamp them into the soil. When 20 or 30 of them come up I wait until they're about 4" high and then cut off all but the strongest one with the scissors. The problem's not growing them but keeping them under control. They make a great privacy hedge if you grow them over a fence.

We get way too much fruit so we put the pulp in ice cube trays and freeze it for later.
Attachments
DSC01282.JPG
Passion fruit hedge
DSC01281.JPG
Growing up coconut tree
DSC01280.jpg
Seedlings from half of one fruit

the-monk
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by the-monk » December 13, 2014, 10:20 am

Yesterday at the tungsrimuang fair ground i purchased 2 small passion fruit pkants ( sawarot). I googled to find what best fertilizer to use and all the Australian sites suggested using chicken manure and compost..
Where to find chicken manure ? ( what is chicken manure in Thai ?) and real compost ? WhAt is compost in Thai ?
I intend to have them climb near the east wall of the house, so they will provide shade for the 2 windows.
They will have sun till noon.
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Have a nice weekend.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2014, 10:47 am

the-monk wrote:Yesterday at the tungsrimuang fair ground i purchased 2 small passion fruit pkants ( sawarot). I googled to find what best fertilizer to use and all the Australian sites suggested using chicken manure and compost..
Where to find chicken manure ? ( what is chicken manure in Thai ?) and real compost ? WhAt is compost in Thai ?
I intend to have them climb near the east wall of the house, so they will provide shade for the 2 windows.
Have a nice weekend.
My very basic (perhaps colloquial) Thai would suggest that chicken manure is "kee gai".

I am sure others can help re the compost, and perhaps correct my Thai as necessary. :D

timmy
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by timmy » December 13, 2014, 10:56 am

the-monk wrote:Yesterday at the tungsrimuang fair ground i purchased 2 small passion fruit pkants ( sawarot). I googled to find what best fertilizer to use and all the Australian sites suggested using chicken manure and compost..
Have a nice weekend.
monk , i live near nam prajak park " spelling ? " and keep chickens at my house if you need any " poop "
just let me know , but i,ll need a bit of notice so i can save it for you .... for FREE

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Passion fruit

Post by Arosolius » December 13, 2014, 3:50 pm

Monk, don't use 100% fresh chicken manure on any plants. It's exceptionally good manure but when it's fresh it burns them & can kill plants quickly. Chicken manure in Australia is always mixed with whatever bedding material is used in the chicken shed e.g. sawdust, rice hulls or whatever which "dilutes" it. Composting chicken manure can take months too.
Passion fruit grow well in my garden without any fertilizer at all but I should probably give them some slow release fertilizer before next fruiting season. You can buy that stuff in Global or Tescos and use it until your chicken manure has matured and lost some of it's high, burning nitrogen content.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”