Retirement Extn. Under Consideration. New Hoops?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 27, 2014, 7:17 am

I went into Udon Thani Immigration yesterday to do my annual extension, 4th on this current Non “O” visa. All my paperwork was in order, the officer puts a stamp into my passport then tells me to come back in 30 days to get my full extension. I cannot have a Re-entry Permit until then either

Whilst she was doing her thing I asked her, through TW, when this requirement was implemented she replied since August, “the army have instructed us to do it this way”! – OK, I thought that’s when the crack down on retirement extns, took place.

Why hadn’t I seen any mention of this goal post move on ThaiVisa or UdonMap?

I then asked her why 2 friends were granted their full extns., in the last two weeks. AND this was very inconvenient for me as TW and I are going to Australia early in the new year.

She then tells me, through TW, she can expedite “under consideration” for 1000 Baht.

Presto 12 Month extension and re-entry permit – the consideration lasted 5 minutes.
Attachments
Extn.JPG

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » December 27, 2014, 11:40 am

You could report that to the new Bribery ofice in Udon. I cannot remember its name. You have a nice proof and a witness.

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » December 27, 2014, 12:30 pm

Sometimes you could think to yourself ' is it worth it? this country's corruption is beyond repair....

Then there is the small issue of whether we choose to particape in corruption or not ( like choosing to pay a small bribe when speeding, no helmet or seatbelt) ...would we rather spend all day down the cop shop or pay the bribe...

IMHO .. It would be nice if we could choose which bit of corruption suits us and which doesn't ;) :lol:
JR wrote:You could report that to the new Bribery ofice in Udon. I cannot remember its name. You have a nice proof and a witness.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » December 27, 2014, 12:42 pm

JR wrote:You could report that to the new Bribery ofice in Udon.
good joke - indeed.
=D>

if you do so, the IO would argue:
  • "the farang requested for fast processing. so this is our customer service. welcome to AEC 2015."
it would be more interessting to know if there was a receipt given for the "service". most probably not.
and again: if you want to get rid of bribery - don't pay!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 27, 2014, 12:56 pm

Yes, I could have kicked up a stink but how do you think any future trips to that office would end up?

According the guru on ThaiVisa Udon Thani and one other office ONLY in Thailand is doing this Under Consideration thing and he is sure it is not a requirement of the military junta.

Anyone else been through this process?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 27, 2014, 1:58 pm

I just did my marriage extension and i have to wait 55 days to get the final stamp!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 27, 2014, 2:10 pm

Yes it has been a requirement for the Marriage Extension since before 2001, that I know off, but the decision was made in Khon Kaen and now in Bangkok, I believe, not locally.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 27, 2014, 2:38 pm

When they gave me the 30 day stamp during the application for long stay "OA" visa extension I asked them what would be the earliest time I could return to get my annual stamp. They told me that I could come back in a couple of weeks and did not have to wait the full 30 days. I returned 15 days later and got my "Retirement" stamp along with my multiple entry permit.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 27, 2014, 3:08 pm

This was a topic of discussion in another thread. It started out by someone posting they had received 7 days and not long after someone I know received 15 days (I believe I posted this info somewhere). I went in mid November and received 30 days. So 30 days seems to be the standard (for some).

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 27, 2014, 3:18 pm

I also went to immigration in November (10th). The office told me I had to report back before the 30 day extension expired. He also said that if I returned in a couple of weeks the new extension should be ready. It was.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 27, 2014, 3:21 pm

got my 30 day "under consideration" stamp last Monday and told to return on January 21st (30 days) to get the visa extension stamp. When I said I had plans to go to Chiang Mai that weekend, they said, "come back the week prior it will be ready." Submitted both the wife's visa extension and mine... Told by the older officer "2000 baht per visa!"... yeah, uuuhuh... right... No change, no Bin.. Hope they don't ask for the money again in January..
Dave

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 27, 2014, 3:37 pm

Hope they don't ask for the money again in January..
I was given a receipt for the visa payment. When I returned for the annual stamp, I presented the receipt and was not asked for visa application payment again.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » December 31, 2014, 6:53 am

Sounds like best to do what Shado did to avoid a possible duplication. 8)
I know one person who got his extension of retirement stamped on the same day,had a technicality problem but has been to the said lady many times before so a fee was agreed to avoid having to go to Laos for a non o 8)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 31, 2014, 7:39 pm

well, if they get tremendously stupid upon our return for the visa extensions, I do have a high ranking MFA acquaintance I could moan to...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 31, 2014, 8:34 pm

When we arrived here in 1996, our friends told us Udon Immigration had just undergone a major shakeup......the office closed down and all business moved to Nongkai. As we were told, prior to the shakeup, it was common to arrive at the office with passport/paperwork in hand along with a bottle of Johnnie Black or other suitable 'gifts'. We were pleased to find no need to provide anything extra when we processed our paperwork at Nongkai.....and subsequently at Udon over the past 18 or so years. The closest thing to a 'bribe' was the 100 baht that one Udon official commonly kept, I assume to help pay her vehicle/smart phone loans.
But this latest 'retirement under consideration' fast-processing fee reeks of blatant corruption.........when a flash of a 1000 baht note can result in an immediate stamp, rather than a return after 30 days. For a lot of folks who live outside the city, 1000 baht would be cheaper than a return trip.....gas, meals, headaches, etc.
I realize you can still get your extension without paying the 1000 baht.....just return in 30 days. But I worry about the longer term consequences of such fees.......once an official gets used to taking in a few extra thousand a month, he/she'll concoct other ways to extract some extra tea money.
I know over the years there have been some under-the-table payments made for services not normally rendered......maybe some paperwork out of order or inadequate funds etc.........but this recent action....at a time when the 'government' has called for a clampdown on corruption worries me.......more so if Udon is one of the only offices in the country requiring a retirement extension applicant to return in 30 days.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2014, 10:29 pm

parrot wrote: But this latest 'retirement under consideration' fast-processing fee reeks of blatant corruption.........when a flash of a 1000 baht note can result in an immediate stamp, rather than a return after 30 days. For a lot of folks who live outside the city, 1000 baht would be cheaper than a return trip.....gas, meals, headaches, etc.
I realize you can still get your extension without paying the 1000 baht.....just return in 30 days. But I worry about the longer term consequences of such fees.......once an official gets used to taking in a few extra thousand a month, he/she'll concoct other ways to extract some extra tea money.
But recognise the beauty in this corruption. It is clearly not spur-of-the-moment, or even opportunistic. They have had a "stamp" produced, thereby creating the impression that it is all official and above board.

Those who previously complained about the shysters at the Nong Khai office are now probably pining for the good old days.

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » January 3, 2015, 12:29 pm

The good old days with mister nice, you must be joking as usual, isn't?

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

Sometimes wake up in the morning thinking yes Mr Happy,miss him a tad,not so his sidekick the lass selling trainers,soap etc having to buy something before getting the new 90 day reporting date :shock: :mad: :D 8)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 5, 2015, 4:33 pm

I thought the argument for the 30 day wait for final approval was that extra checks were being made, pressure of work etc. But, of course, a 1000 baht note can change all that.
Is it just a scam at Udon? The proof might be if other provincial immigration offices are even operating 30 day waiting too. Nong Khai anyone?
I've an extension request, on marriage not retirement, due in about a month. Some kind soul left a paper on my car windscreen a while back which, my wife tells me, cites the telephone hotlines for reporting corruption. I'll be making sure the paper is placed top of my spare paperwork folder when I go, noticeable if not actually shoved in the face. [-X

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 11, 2015, 4:10 pm

Having monitored this since August, i read on a web page that it was 1 week of consideration for retirement visa ,UDon want 1 month ,then it seems to depend on where you live as to the cost of speed , ( ie we can do it now )within Udon eg, 5 kilometers it's 1000 bht, extra , outside 5 kilometers 2000 bht extra , on another note ,i renewed my passport 3 years ago ,was Charged 500 bht for the service ( no Bin ) of moving my Visa ,( this is supposed to be a free service ) they put the wrong date stamp on the visa ,,i pointed this out ,the reply was it's ok , SO 3 years later they point out that the date on my visa is wrong and want to see my old passport, Now it's 2000bht to correct their clerical error or pay 7000bht overstay, beware gents check the date's when they stamp your yealy renewal visa

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”