Two little boys..... or was that 3 little girls

World news discussion forum
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 28, 2015, 8:27 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31657929
Gary Glitter jailed for 16 years
Former pop star Gary Glitter has been jailed for a total of 16 years for sexually abusing three young girls between 1975 and 1980.

Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was sentenced for attempted rape, four counts of indecent assault and one of having sex with a girl under 13.

Sentencing, Judge Alistair McCreath said he could find "no real evidence" that Gadd had atoned for his crimes.
Given he is 70 years old, that should be the end of that!!
The allegations against Gadd came to light only years later when he became the first person to be arrested under Operation Yewtree - the investigation launched by the Met in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

Scotland Yard confirmed that it had received other information in light of Gadd's conviction, and that it is "currently being assessed".
So it would appear that the inquiry started because of the awful conduct of Savile (that went unpunished) finally did some good

Of that monster, Savile, details of the abuse that he created at Stoke Mandeville Hospital have now surfaced..

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31637320
Jimmy Savile abused 63 people connected to Stoke Mandeville Hospital, but the one formal complaint made was ignored, an independent report has found.

It found Savile's reputation as a "sex pest" was an "open secret" among some staff - but allegations probably did not reach managers.

The formal complaint - made in 1977 by an 11-year-old girl's father - should have been reported to police, it added.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Allegations against Sir Cliff Richard gaining momentum.....
Sir Cliff Richard.jpg
Sir Cliff Richard s e x abuse investigation involves more than one allegation (Daily Telegraph)

South Yorkshire's Chief Constable David Crompton reveals investigation into Sir Cliff Richard increases 'significantly' after man claims he had been molested by star.
Sir Cliff Richard was questioned by police last August.

By Martin Evans, Crime Correspondent6:01PM GMT 25 Feb 2015

The s e x abuse investigation into Sir Cliff Richard has “increased significantly since its inception” and now involves more than one allegation, South Yorkshire Police have revealed.
The 73-year-old entertainer was questioned by police last August after a man came forward and claimed he had been molested by the star in the 1980s.
But in a letter to Keith Vaz, the chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee, David Crompton, the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire, confirmed that the investigation had now expanded beyond that single allegation.
Responding to a request from Mr Vaz for an update into the progress of the investigation, Mr Crompton said: “This is an investigation which has increased significantly in size since its inception.
"Sir Cliff Richard’s lawyers are aware that there is more than one allegation.”
He added: “In view of the expanding nature of the investigation, it would be premature and potentially misleading to predict a likely date when it will be concluded, however we are progressing as swiftly as possible.”
In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, Sir Cliff said: "I have no idea where these absurd and untrue allegations come from. The police have not disclosed details to me.
"I have never, in my life, assaulted anyone and I remain confident that the truth will prevail. I have cooperated fully with the police, and will, of course, continue to do so.
"Beyond stating that the allegations are completely false, it would not be appropriate for me to say anything further until the investigation has concluded, which I hope will be very soon. In the meantime, I would, again, like to thank everyone for supporting me through this unbelievably difficult period."
The publication of the letter from Mr Crompton, dated February 10, followed a scathing independent report into an agreement between South Yorkshire Police and the BBC, which led to a raid on the singer's home being broadcast live.
The independent report found that the deal "certainly interfered with his privacy and may well have caused unnecessary distress".
The original allegation is understood to relate to an incident that is said to have occurred at a Christian rally in Sheffield organised by the American evangelist, Billy Graham in June 1985.
Last year, the alleged victim, who was under 16 at the time of the incident, came forward to police and made a complaint.
But the police investigation was immediately overshadowed after a leak from the Operation Yewtree team led to an agreement between South Yorkshire and the BBC meaning film crews, including one in a helicopter, were on hand to film the raid on the entertainer’s £2.5 Berkshire home.
Sir Cliff, who had not been informed that the search was taking place, subsequently issued a robust statement from his home in the Algarve, vehemently denying the allegation, but pledging to cooperate with the investigation.
He later returned home to the UK to meet with detectives and answer questions and has never been arrested or charged.
At the time, friends of Sir Cliff accused the police of organising a “fishing expedition” claiming the raid had been carried out in an effort to generate the maximum amount of publicity.
The friend said: “The whole thing is appalling because what they are doing, they are just going in there making as much noise about it as they can and seeing if anyone comes out of the woodwork to back it up. And if they don’t they will still have wrecked someone’s life.”
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 28, 2015, 9:51 am

BobHelm wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31657929
Gary Glitter jailed for 16 years
I read somewhere that Glitter had been sentenced according to current standards. Which I took to mean the sentence was greater than he would have received had he been convicted around the time the offences took place.

While the sentence is probably appropriate, I would hope he has been sentenced according to the penalties which existed at that time ie the current sentence is not "prospective". :shock:

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 28, 2015, 10:36 am

Luck than he only committed those crimes recently not 1841
or he would be having his neck stretched instead

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 28, 2015, 11:06 am

He was sentenced under current standards, however the sentence he received was the maximum he could have received if he had been found guilty at that time.
If he had been guilty of that crime committed today then the judge could have give a maximum sentence of life. However the judge said he felt that would have been inappropriate.

Whichever way he is a nasty piece of work who now, hopefully, will never be able to abuse another child.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 28, 2015, 11:31 am

This link states:

"He added: “The offences for which I must pass sentence today took place many years ago at a time when in particular, in respect of one of them, the maximum sentence was considerably lower than that which is now available.”

He said earlier that the guidelines dictated that he must take the current sentencing options into account."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... choolgirls

It's not really clear what this means. Presumably it doesn't mean a judge can now go over the maximum sentence available at the time. It also seems wrong that a judge can now often impose the old maximum because the current maximum is higher. Back then, the maximum sentence would presumably have been rarely imposed. In other words if convicted and sentenced decades ago, the sentence would have been much less.

If anything, Glitter's age suggests to me he should get a lesser sentence. In my country as a taxpayer I think it's a waste of time having octogenarians locked up at taxpayers' expense. They aren't exactly a threat. OK, some might be but that would be rare. Many countries don't have enough prison cells for young dangerous perps.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 28, 2015, 12:09 pm

Everyone should be treated the same
rich,poor,male, female, old or young
and old bastards should get the same sentences as young bastards
long ones

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 28, 2015, 12:28 pm

I understand even the loony right in the US have now said enough - it's too expensive locking all the bastards up for ages and we need to be more selective and clever in what we are doing.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 28, 2015, 12:41 pm

GT93 wrote:This link states:

If anything, Glitter's age suggests to me he should get a lesser sentence. In my country as a taxpayer I think it's a waste of time having octogenarians locked up at taxpayers' expense. They aren't exactly a threat. OK, some might be but that would be rare. Many countries don't have enough prison cells for young dangerous perps.
Whilst he may well be an octogenarian by the time he gets out I would point out he is still 10 years away from being one now .In the UK there are special prisons where the vulnerable, whether its because of age , infirmity or the nature of their crime are housed ,separately from the rest of the offenders .These special units are said to cost three times more than the normal. A case for a chemical solution in my book . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 28, 2015, 1:08 pm

Yes I meant he was over 80 for much of the end of his sentence. In NZ if someone was sentenced to 16 years, he might be out much earlier if he made the right moves while in prison. In NZ we need to read between the lines when reading about a sentence. Is it the same in the UK?

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » February 28, 2015, 2:22 pm

I am sure that there are a many sexual abusers that have not been caught but all these cases of the famous being caught and jailed is unrivaled in the complex question of victim compensation.

Joshua Rozenberg's article in the Guardian newspaper sheds light on the compensation game that is now underway in the Saville case.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... mpensation

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 28, 2015, 2:27 pm

GT93 wrote:Yes I meant he was over 80 for much of the end of his sentence. In NZ if someone was sentenced to 16 years, he might be out much earlier if he made the right moves while in prison. In NZ we need to read between the lines when reading about a sentence. Is it the same in the UK?
In the UK a sentence of less than 4 years is automatically eligible for parole at the half way mark, no ifs or buts, providing the offender has behaved whilst in prison . Those sentenced to 4 years plus however are subjected to a parole board report at the halfway mark . This takes into account amongst other things , The likely hood of reoffending, if remorse has been shown for the crime and his general behaviour whilst in prison.If parole is refused the offender can reapply after a further 25% of the original term has expired. In some cases the presiding original judge may stipulate a minimum sentence, this over rides the above .If released on parole the unexpired balance still hangs over the offender and if a new crime is proved , during this period, will automatically be added to the new sentence imposed .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 2, 2015, 1:19 pm

GT wrote .."I think Princess Anne has a conviction for not having her dogs under control but you don't swing for that".

A bit rich really ....... fined 500 quid and get a "criminal record" for not controlling your dog in one of mummys gardens :evil:

She also got done 400 quid and 5 points on her licence for speeding in Cheltenham (not sure if Bob was on the jury) :-k

noosard wrote .."Luck than he only committed those crimes recently not 1841
or he would be having his neck stretched instead

If GG had committed those crimes in 1841 ....... he would have been sent to the "penal colony" and his descendants would have been an Aussie Glitter Band ..... even more famous than ....??????? oh yeah .... men at work, or even Rolf Harris :-"

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 2, 2015, 2:12 pm

stattointhailand wrote:She also got done 400 quid and 5 points on her licence for speeding in Cheltenham (not sure if Bob was on the jury) :-k "
:D :D :D

You're priceless statts!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2015, 3:06 pm

More likely to be after her in the queue for the speeding fine than on the jury Statts...

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 4, 2015, 8:38 am

The arguably most famous and greatest living Brit has stripped Harris of his CBE:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31711252

I see she did it to Mugabe too (long ago).

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 14, 2015, 11:45 am

The bloke with the annulled CBE has apparently been writing a nasty song about "wenches" getting their "hooks into his dough":

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/rolf-ha ... hng8y.html

This is way worse than some ditty by a Thai basher who has been cleaned out by his nana wife ...

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » June 14, 2015, 1:47 pm

No remorse then by the ------. Needs to go to a hardened prison to be taught a lesson or two. :mad: :evil: New picture I see GT!
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 14, 2015, 1:50 pm

Yes socksy. Same bloke in the avatar but I wanted to be more easily recognized as a dxckhead. :D

I'm not writing letters to the high culture New Yorker magazine here.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » June 14, 2015, 1:55 pm

I can just hear the chorus from Soi Sampan GT - "Hello Hansum Man Welcome" but hopefully not from the increasing numbers of the whatever gender.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Return to “World News”