Baidu PC Faster???

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
jingjai
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by jingjai » March 1, 2015, 3:52 pm

Anyone use, or have used Baidu PC Faster to help your PC run faster? Comments? Recommendations?

http://download.cnet.com/Baidu-PC-Faste ... 08802.html

by: Download.com staff on September 18, 2014

Baidu PC Faster scans your PC deeply to find and delete junk files, unnecessary programs, and large files that sap and compromise performance. It can scan and optimize all areas with a single click or individually. With an attractive app-like interface, it's easy to use, too. This free tool's extras include the FasterNow desktop widget, Game Faster accelerator, App Store download manager, and Wi-Fi Hotspot.

Pros
Deep clean: PC Faster's Deep Clean option looks for Privacy vulnerabilities ranging from video files to Office apps and cleans traces that other programs miss.

Large files cleaner: PC Faster found numerous large files that we could safely delete, including installers, extracted archives, data logs, and temporary files -- including its own temporary files!

Medalist: While our results didn't exactly support Baidu's claim that our PC was running 106 percent faster after cleaning, our machine earned a Bronze Medal for being faster than most other users' PCs.

Cons
Virus Scan: While the included Virus Scan (Cloud, Full, Custom, Internet, and Game Scans) tool is hardly a detriment, it's not an alternative to a full antivirus solution, and we worry some users might see it as such.
Use with care: PC Faster can delete files, remove programs, change settings, and do other things that can compromise your PC, so be careful what you tell it to do.
Bottom Line
Baidu's PC Faster cleaned and boosted our system significantly without causing any problems, even when pushed to extremes. It's one of the more complete and better performing system cleaners we've tried.

From Baidu:
Baidu PC Faster keeps your PC running its best. With its simple, one-touch Optimize button, PC Faster cleans out junk files, manages startup items and repairs system issues to improve your PC's speed and recover hard disk space. PC Faster is the easiest way to make your older PC run faster, free up disk space and keep you safe.

eagle
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by eagle » March 1, 2015, 8:30 pm

Just something to read before installation and for times after installation:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 326AAJQTex

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/baidu-pc-faster-virus/

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-baidu-pc-faster.html

Just point out that it is not a VIRUS! It still makes something that is not nice to your computer. So there is not any free lunch out there anymore and either Baidu is free. You have to define by yourself, what is the price you are willing to pay. I did not want to have notices that I have to install that and that other solution, because Baidu noticed something.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2015, 5:34 am

Personally I would not use it, or recommend anyone else to use it.
That is based on the same company being responsible for the adware redirect spam that infects machines & is a swine to then remove.
In my opinion it does nothing that CCcleaner will not do for you & CC is a great deal more open & controllable about what it does.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

jingjai
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by jingjai » March 2, 2015, 3:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll pass on Baidu, and stick with CCleaner.
CCleaner has worked fine for a few years now. The reason I asked about Baidu, was that I mentioned to a friend, my laptop seems to be running slower at start-up and shut-down. Also slower when opening a program, IE: Mozilla Firefox, etc.
He suggested I install Baidu because it "cleans deeper" than CCleaner?
My Acer Aspire laptop is almost five years old, I bought it in the U.S. It came with genuine windows 7, plus all the bells & whistles available back then. I do let Microsoft update Windows. As well I update Firefox, and Microsoft Security Essentials, as needed.
People tell me that after time, computers naturally run a little slower as they age?
I really don't do much detailed stuff on the laptop: surf the internet, email, download a few movies & T.V. shows all from reputable sources. I keep it simple.
Multi-Tasking? Is that like when I'm perusing the forum and eating a sandwich at the same time :lol: .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2015, 3:33 pm

jingjai wrote:I really don't do much detailed stuff on the laptop: surf the internet, email, download a few movies & T.V. shows all from reputable sources. I keep it simple.
I think there are a lot more people reading your emails & interested in what sites you visit than 5 years ago, that is what is slowing it down JJ :D

My Windows 7 takes ages to load these days as well. I think that is partly my fault though as I do have DropBox, Google Drive & Microsoft SkyDrive to back up data & they start immediately, which slows 7 down at start up.
Linux Mint, on the other hand loads completely in less than 30 seconds on the same machine...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by jackspratt » March 2, 2015, 3:34 pm

jingjai wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll pass on Baidu, and stick with CCleaner.
CCleaner has worked fine for a few years now. The reason I asked about Baidu, was that I mentioned to a friend, my laptop seems to be running slower at start-up and shut-down. Also slower when opening a program, IE: Mozilla Firefox, etc.
He suggested I install Baidu because it "cleans deeper" than CCleaner?
My Acer Aspire laptop is almost five years old, I bought it in the U.S. It came with genuine windows 7, plus all the bells & whistles available back then. I do let Microsoft update Windows. As well I update Firefox, and Microsoft Security Essentials, as needed.
People tell me that after time, computers naturally run a little slower as they age?
I really don't do much detailed stuff on the laptop: surf the internet, email, download a few movies & T.V. shows all from reputable sources. I keep it simple.
Multi-Tasking? Is that like when I'm perusing the forum and eating a sandwich at the same time :lol: .
The computer doesn't necessarily slow down - but Windows does.

Enthusiasts (of which I am not one) will do a fresh install of Windows every year. Real enthusiasts will do a complete re-build ie Windows + all programs.

If you really want to speed it up, replace your hard drive with an SSD. :D

jingjai
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by jingjai » March 4, 2015, 5:11 pm

BobHelm wrote:Personally I would not use it, or recommend anyone else to use it.
That is based on the same company being responsible for the adware redirect spam that infects machines & is a swine to then remove.
In my opinion it does nothing that CCcleaner will not do for you & CC is a great deal more open & controllable about what it does.
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
As I wrote before...
Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll pass on Baidu, and stick with CCleaner.
CCleaner has worked fine for a few years now...
Since there is a wealth of IT knowledge on the forum...
What do people think of Defraggler made by Piriform, the company that also brought you CCleaner?
http://filehippo.com/download_defraggler

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by BobHelm » March 4, 2015, 5:28 pm

Well thank you for that JJ - I am using it now!!

Nice little program. I have not bothered defragging a disk since before I left work - 10 years ago now. It was fairly standard practice then but I believed that with the newer Windows versions it was not so necessary.
What a surprise when I ran the analyser.
The hard disk on my laptop is divided in 2.
Disk C: contains Windows plus any other programs.
Disk E: just contains temporary stuff which I either delete after I have used, or transfer to another hard disk for permanent saving.
As files come & go on E: on a daily basis I thought that it might be pretty fragmented, but it wasn't, only 5% so I left it alone.
Disk C: however was over 26% fragmented & is currently going through a move about.
So I guess Windows 7 isn't much better than Windows 2000 :D

It is a very small & easy program to use & the actual defragging might be slow, but does not stop you working while it is..

So far I would certainly recommend JJ - thanks again..

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by jackspratt » March 4, 2015, 8:39 pm

BobHelm wrote:Well thank you for that JJ - I am using it now!!

Nice little program. I have not bothered defragging a disk since before I left work - 10 years ago now. It was fairly standard practice then but I believed that with the newer Windows versions it was not so necessary.
What a surprise when I ran the analyser.
The hard disk on my laptop is divided in 2.
Disk C: contains Windows plus any other programs.
Disk E: just contains temporary stuff which I either delete after I have used, or transfer to another hard disk for permanent saving.
As files come & go on E: on a daily basis I thought that it might be pretty fragmented, but it wasn't, only 5% so I left it alone.
Disk C: however was over 26% fragmented & is currently going through a move about.
So I guess Windows 7 isn't much better than Windows 2000 :D

It is a very small & easy program to use & the actual defragging might be slow, but does not stop you working while it is..

So far I would certainly recommend JJ - thanks again..
Time to get an SSD Bob - then you can give defragging away forever. :D =D>

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by BobHelm » March 4, 2015, 8:46 pm

Gona have to wait for the price to come way down from 24K baht for a terabyte Jack... :D

glalt
udonmap.com

Baidu PC Faster???

Post by glalt » March 5, 2015, 11:33 am

I too would avoid Baidu. It will hijack you browser and cause other problems. I had an awful time getting rid of it.

I buy everything I can from InvadeIT. They are a great source of accurate information. (farang management) I had an old HP Mini computer that worked but it was so slow that it was a major pain to use it. It is a netbook and is about as handy as a tablet to travel with. I asked InvadeIT if they had a RAM upgrade to fit it. They did and that helped a lot but it was still slow. I then ordered a 120 GB Intel SSD from them. It too fit perfectly and that old computer really flies now. I am using Win 7 Pro. Don't give up on an old computer without checking on upgrading RAM and going to an SSD hard drive. Since I don't have a lot to put in this computer, the 120 GB SSD is plenty big. I think it cost less than 3,000 baht.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”