Baht What up with Dat?????

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
Twixies
udonmap.com

Post by Twixies » April 3, 2015, 9:18 pm

With all the "good and positive" marked figures from Thailand where debt is more than 80% of GDP, export down, almost deflation, no Martel law, the U.S. dollar is now below 32 (31.9203269) to Thai baht.

The stock marked raised about 3 % in few days. Seems like Thailand is a win win right now :)

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 4, 2015, 6:10 pm

Here is what gets me the dollar hit it's high and the baht went up. Watch the FED.

Looks like the Teflon is still good.

As far as I'm concerned the market fundamentals do not support it's level.

If you looking for logic won't find it in the nah exchange rate.

I caught the P.M.'s speech last night with English subtitles. They had a lot of people within the cabinet speaking. I don't have clue if it was bad or good. Biggest thing seemed to be we must maintain peace. In all fairness somethings just don't translate well, Didn't see that the economy was really stressed by any of the speakers.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 6, 2015, 12:44 pm

Currency war, doesn't speak to the baht specifically, does point out some lack of cooperation within Central Banks. If the BOT was trying to lower the value o the baht, they have missed by a mile.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/wor ... rrency-war
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 8, 2015, 4:52 pm

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 10, 2015, 8:20 am

SET is at 1445, it's been higher this year, But it;s been lower this year. Yesterday everything was wonderful, now the economy is sputtering??????????????????????????????

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... y-sputters

As usual everything is clear as mud, last week this was not a problem

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 10, 2015, 8:30 am

You know one would think the handwriting is on the wall. That being said foreign investors were a positive buy for several days.

Bit this past three articles are from the Bangkok Post today.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... s-shun-set

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » April 10, 2015, 9:29 am

bumper wrote:SET is at 1445, it's been higher this year, But it;s been lower this year. Yesterday everything was wonderful, now the economy is sputtering??????????????????????????????

Only 10 days ago there was this article in the Bangkok Post:
  • TAT predicts tourist deluge for Songkran

Tourism revenue during the coming Songkran holiday is expected to grow by 26% to 14.5 billion baht, driven by political stability and aggressive promotions by low-cost carriers (LCCs).....

Full article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... r-songkran
While I'm well aware of the appallingly bad economic forecasts in Thailand, I can't recall one being blown out of the water in as little as 10 days before :-k
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Twixies
udonmap.com

Post by Twixies » April 10, 2015, 11:06 am

JimboPSM wrote:
bumper wrote:SET is at 1445, it's been higher this year, But it;s been lower this year. Yesterday everything was wonderful, now the economy is sputtering??????????????????????????????

Only 10 days ago there was this article in the Bangkok Post:
  • TAT predicts tourist deluge for Songkran

Tourism revenue during the coming Songkran holiday is expected to grow by 26% to 14.5 billion baht, driven by political stability and aggressive promotions by low-cost carriers (LCCs).....

Full article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... r-songkran
While I'm well aware of the appallingly bad economic forecasts in Thailand, I can't recall one being blown out of the water in as little as 10 days before :-k
Last news :)
UTCC: Public spending during Songkran predicted at 119 billion baht

BANGKOK, 10 April 2015 (NNT) - According to a research by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, 119 billion baht of public spending is expected during this year’s Songkran holidays, an increase of 2.01% from the year earlier.

The figure, despite being the highest prediction, is actually the slowest expansion rate in 5 years, thanks to the rising prices of commodity products and services.

The research indicated the reason behind the slower spending growth is the public concerns over the local economy and low agricultural product prices which cause residents to be more frugal.

Nonetheless, the research pointed out that this year would be the first year that Thai celebrants focus more on party expenses, such as food, drinks and alcoholic beverages. Meanwhile, fewer people were spending on merit making activities and tourism, a sentiment that reflects worries among the public.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 14, 2015, 4:55 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... ening-baht

I've seen several articles now expecting an additional rate cut.

Tourist money Songkran that lould be misleading as a lot of that money is already in Thailand. From what my wife has told me this has been a more calm then usual Songkran.

The article above indicates deflation, that is a new one on me,

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 17, 2015, 11:25 am

Baht is at 32.40 per CNBC at the moment, So the news in this article certainly doesn't reflect what we see.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thaila ... n-40-years

Twixies
udonmap.com

Post by Twixies » April 17, 2015, 3:55 pm

bumper wrote:Baht is at 32.40 per CNBC at the moment, So the news in this article certainly doesn't reflect what we see.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thaila ... n-40-years
But after the meeting today, it seems like the think there is something wrong, cause neighbor country's currency is falling 4-10% against the dollar. But Thailand still believe in grow.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... h-forecast

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 17, 2015, 5:31 pm

1730 hours 32.37 CNBC

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » April 29, 2015, 1:06 pm

This chart shows the result of my hypothetical calculations as to what the USD/THB rate might have equated to following the last updating of the US Dollar Index this week (to 24th April) had the Baht moved against the USD since last July in accordance with the three main Trade Weighted US Dollar Indexes (Major, Broad and Other).
  • USD-THB Dollar Index 2015.04.29.jpg
You can draw your own conclusions as to whether any dots can be connected between what the above chart shows and the recently released March export figures.

The Bangkok Post is reporting today that, with only Q1 completed, the government is already slashing its export growth figure for 2015 from 4% to 1.2% :shock:

In reality, that should not come as a surprise to anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of economics which on the evidence of the ludicrously optimistic forecasts in recent times, rather sadly, excludes pretty well everyone who authorises and issues the economic forecasts on behalf of the government and financial authorities:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 29, 2015, 5:13 pm

Just got a message from a friend in Pattaya .....1.00 gbp = 50.05 Thb.. at Money Booths ALL Over Pattaya,But NOT Thai Banks....

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 30, 2015, 10:06 am

It Appears that the Pound v Baht is getting better....This Mornings Bank Rate is 49.97 @ Krungsri, So expect " 50 or over by the end of the week.... :D :D :D

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 1, 2015, 11:31 am

CNBC showing 33.04 I got to see my 33 I would imagine by the time the bank here posts the transfer it will be less since it's a holiday here. I know it will go today in the states. Bu, it won't be posted here till the banks open again.

Wonder why it's moving like this, Maybe Jimbo found it.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 1, 2015, 11:50 am

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » May 6, 2015, 10:34 am

Thailand Takes a Hammer to the Baht
Leslie Shaffer | @LeslieShaffer1

Thailand's baht has long out-muscled regional peers, but amid a stumbling economy, the central bank has pulled the plug on supporting the currency.

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) last week sent a triple whammy to the markets: In a surprise move, it cut its benchmark interest rate by 25 basis-points to 1.5 percent. In its statement, the BOT mentioned its concerns about the continued strength of the baht. That was followed up with the easing of some of the country's capital controls, which will allow more funds to flow out of the country.

"All three things marked a strong message," said Santitarn Sathirathai, an analyst at Credit Suisse, noting it's rare for the BOT to mention the currency level. "If there is appreciation in the baht again, which could happen due to the current account surplus, then the Bank of Thailand could intervene to cap appreciation and to cap outperformance over regional currencies."

"It's a paradigm shift," he added.

After the moves, the baht fell, with the U.S. dollar fetching 33.25 baht early Wednesday, tapping the baht's weakest level since early 2010, when the euro zone crisis was starting to rear up. That compares with around 32.59 baht before the BOT's actions. Thailand's markets were closed Tuesday for the Coronation Day holiday.
Entire Article: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102647724

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 6, 2015, 12:52 pm

With things a they are here I wonder in they really are holding that money???????????????????????

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 6, 2015, 1:01 pm

jingjai wrote:
Thailand Takes a Hammer to the Baht
Leslie Shaffer | @LeslieShaffer1

Thailand's baht has long out-muscled regional peers, but amid a stumbling economy, the central bank has pulled the plug on supporting the currency.

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) last week sent a triple whammy to the markets: In a surprise move, it cut its benchmark interest rate by 25 basis-points to 1.5 percent. In its statement, the BOT mentioned its concerns about the continued strength of the baht. That was followed up with the easing of some of the country's capital controls, which will allow more funds to flow out of the country.

"All three things marked a strong message," said Santitarn Sathirathai, an analyst at Credit Suisse, noting it's rare for the BOT to mention the currency level. "If there is appreciation in the baht again, which could happen due to the current account surplus, then the Bank of Thailand could intervene to cap appreciation and to cap outperformance over regional currencies."

"It's a paradigm shift," he added.

After the moves, the baht fell, with the U.S. dollar fetching 33.25 baht early Wednesday, tapping the baht's weakest level since early 2010, when the euro zone crisis was starting to rear up. That compares with around 32.59 baht before the BOT's actions. Thailand's markets were closed Tuesday for the Coronation Day holiday.
Entire Article: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102647724
therefore anyone looking at a mortage or finance for a car might want to review if the banks etc have or will pass the rate drop on ?

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”