Australian Vs indonesia - strained relationships ++++

World news discussion forum
wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 28, 2015, 8:44 am

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/govern ... 427-1mu1zw

Seems like these executions of 2 Australian citizens in the next 30 odd hours, is more about the distain that Jakarta is holding for Australia now, irrelevant they have outstanding appeals in place.

If Australian Foreign Minister Bishop did visit Jakarta, she would be humiliated and embarrassed according to Aust Consulate officials .

France, Brazil and Australia already talking of diplomatic withdrawal of Ambassadors.

Former Indonesian President SBY cancelling key Uni presentation in Perth this week.

One thing I will predict is once these executions are carried out there will be anger in Australia, and then watch the numbers of boats sailing soar through the roof as Indonesian officials, deliberately turn a blind eye to the people smuggling. Creating a massive logistical nightmare for Sovereign Border Policy.

2 bob Indonesia will refuse to accept any returned refugees found in International Waters.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 28, 2015, 9:05 am

Australia really needs to re evaluate their aide package to Indonesia, it's obviously not working!
Australia’s aid program to Indonesia is designed to support prosperity, stability and security in one of our closest neighbours. The program includes a range of investments designed to promote sustainable economic growth, good governance and stability.
http://dfat.gov.au/geo/indonesia/develo ... nesia.aspx
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 28, 2015, 9:20 am

I read some time ago after the first appeals all rejected that the DFAT budget for Indonesia was regarded as just a drop in the Ocean in their bigger GDP picture.

Starting to think that phone bugging is coming back to bite them ?

Military cooperation cancelled etc..

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » April 28, 2015, 9:30 am

Did you mean that pun regarding Indonesian's wazza? "Drop in the Ocean". :roll:
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 28, 2015, 9:43 am

OH DEAR OH DEAR

Thailand have just inherited a former Indonesian Government official arrested in Phuket with 5.2 kg of Cocaine

That's a Capital Punishment haul.

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/n ... g-cocaine/

I bet internally the Junta are saying OHHHH NOOOO, who was the idiot who caught him.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 28, 2015, 10:20 am

This is disgusting, making the relatives having to go through this

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/how-b ... 7323939860

No dignity at all ...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 28, 2015, 10:31 am

socksy wrote:Did you mean that pun regarding Indonesian's wazza? "Drop in the Ocean". :roll:
Socksy

Affirmative.

I thought only Japan, Koreas, China , Vietnam and Philippines were having territorial spits in the Ocean,

Australia's previous policy of forced turn around of people smuggling vessels, I believe will fail with Indonesia's new stance in retaliating to various actions taken by the Australian Government.

I hope Im wrong, but Blind Freddy can read in between the lines here , from the way the prisoners were transported from Bali, Relatives treated as above post, and the fact that the executions will be carried out I presume tomorrow, Local time, with Court Appeals / Reviews still pending , inc the alleged bribes the Judges wanted originally of 1 Billion Rupiah ( $136,000 AUD ) then upped after Jakarta intervened insisting on Death Sentence .

Now the lastest breaking news, is the Australian prisoners have been refused their requested religious advisers and appears that court appoint officials will preside.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 28, 2015, 12:02 pm

I remember the first time I flew to Bali and hearing the announcement on the plane just before landing, drug offences are punishable by death. I guess after that you make your choice and take your chances. I may not agree with the way things are done in other countries but I abide by their laws and customs while I am there and if I was foolish enough to break another countries laws I would live with the consequences and not expect Canada to come to my rescue. I have also seen the devestation caused by heroin use and have lost friends to it as well. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who profit from causing so much misery.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 29, 2015, 12:18 am

Indonesia has severely annoyed other governments and countries as well with its executions of foreign drug dealers. I always thought there was an element of payback with Australia. The governments already have a strained relationship and this only makes it worse.

One plus from this is other countries in Indonesia's position might be less likely to carry out executions if they're going to face such pressure from abroad.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 29, 2015, 12:32 am

One Oz politician who i dont normally agree with Jacqui L from Tasmania is pushing for the foreign aid budget for Indonesia to be relocated to Nepal to assist with their massive humanitarian crisis there.

Some will argue that it penalises the Indonesian communities etc. Yes
but their Politicians need to be sent a strong message.

France is using massive EU influence for now as Indonesia is sending a huge trade mission over there this week.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 29, 2015, 1:41 am

Sadly they have been executed.

Filipino lady has been given an 11th hour reprieve, when the guy who recruited her as an unknown mule has confessed in Manilla !! WTF.

So a Death Sentence imposed on her with her defence ignored , now appears now to be credible.

The other issue that I do have if the 2 executed Australians, hadnt publically spilt the beans on the Syndicate in Sydney, claiming their families would be hurt. Well tragically they have been hurt, and hope finally that the AFP might be able to progress on the names, should their lawyers have them.

Spare a thought for the DFAT Consulate Team who have been under some difficult challenges for this year and still are as they accompany the bodies to Jarkarta for transportation to Australia.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 29, 2015, 2:48 am

Huge coverage on the early morning news in NZ on the executions and the indignities inflicted on the Australian families and media. The NZ government will be facing pressure to also retaliate.

croc
udonmap.com

Post by croc » April 29, 2015, 6:04 am

Australia and Indonesia have always and will always have Differences of Opinions - be it Cultural, Legal and Religious.

I do not Agree with the Soft Penalties given out in Australia for Drug Smugglers and Sellers, yes people have a choice to say no to any Drug, but People do not have a Choice when your Home is Broken into and all your Valuables are stolen to support some one's drug habit, or Drug Crazed Rapes and Murders of aged pensioners in their own homes.

The Money, Resources and time spent by the Government on this case, and many others would be better spent on Homeless Children and Drug Rehab in Australia's own Back Yard and there are probably plenty of other causes that need funds.

Rest in Peace to all the People Executed Last Night, not only Australian's, and those executed Last Month and Probably Next month.

The Warnings are clear on Immigration Cards when you arrive in Indo. Luckily for some the same Laws are not followed here in LOS as I read on other Forums and the BKK Post there would be a dozen Expats a week on Death Row ( Maybe more ), only my 10 cents worth.
Attachments
5052593291_f6cbf017f9_z.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 29, 2015, 6:33 am

Australian surfer only last week arrested for smoking a joint on a beach at night. WTF.

Departure lounges FOR all Denpesar flights need to add an extra RECYCLE bin. COMMONSENSE Place here prior to departure.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » April 29, 2015, 7:06 am

wazza wrote:Australian surfer only last week arrested for smoking a joint on a beach at night. WTF.

Departure lounges FOR all Denpesar flights need to add an extra RECYCLE bin. COMMONSENSE Place here prior to departure.
You will be offered marijuana, cocaine, etc on the streets of Bali five paces from any hotel

croc
udonmap.com

Post by croc » April 29, 2015, 7:25 am

ronan01 wrote:
wazza wrote:Australian surfer only last week arrested for smoking a joint on a beach at night. WTF.

You will be offered marijuana, cocaine, etc on the streets of Bali five paces from any hotel
And Hotels in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Goa, Laos and the list goes on, if they want or need to have a Joint or a Snort, stay home, save the Australian Tax Payers Millions and the save the Heart Ache that their Families have to go through when it all goes Pear Shaped in a Foreign Country in a Foreign Jail with Foreign Laws.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 29, 2015, 10:09 am

Only place i have every been approached to buy drugs is once in Patong
Been to Bali 3 times and spent a lot of time in phuket and samui never approached
Maybe it is I don;t have a druggie look

As for countries putting pressure on Indo not to excute it will be nothing substantial
All will be forgotten till the next time
and there will be a next time

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 29, 2015, 5:21 pm

Maybe, but the next time Indonesia complains on behalf of their Nationals, they will be reminded very quickly. ps. the Saudis don't give a ---- either, they kill anyone they want ....

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 29, 2015, 6:19 pm

I think pollies complain so it looks like they care

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 30, 2015, 2:44 pm

noosard wrote:Only place i have every been approached to buy drugs is once in Patong
Only place I have ever been approached to buy drugs was Footscray, Melbourne. After that I decided I needed to raise my dress standards. Unfortunately I didn't, so I never ended up hitching up to a hi-so where I wouldn't need to do any hard graft to put food on the table.

Return to “World News”