2015 Aussie Rules season

General sports news and discussions.
downunder
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by downunder » July 27, 2015, 8:31 pm

GT, I am very interested to know what Strine are you talking about? I never knew that you could possibly interpret the general way Aussies talk as you see it. Not many Aussies are old enough to even understand as it is not commonly used by the younger generation. I am reasonably experienced being 78 years of age and if I talk to you in Strine you would not know what the hell I would possible be talking about. As for the commentators themselves, they would know as much information required to put Strine into general everyday use in line with their lack of knowledge about football getting in the way of a lost understanding in the WAY STRINE WAS SPOKEN SOME 50-60 years ago.
I therefore submit to you to tell the facts. I am not suggesting that you are reckless with the truth, just talk about something you know more about.555

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 1:33 pm

You have lost me there Khun Downunder.

I thought Strine was simply Australian English. Heaven forbid, is it in danger of passing into the history books? I think it would be a very sad day if many Aussies including high profile Aussies such as Pauline Hansen and Mick Dundee started speaking the Queen's English.

P.S. my dad was 78 this month. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

downunder
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by downunder » July 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

You have lost me because of your ignorance to the fact, read what the experts say, Here you go again GT, facts are facts, Check Wikipedia . Aussie people in very rare circumstances talk like Mick Dundee who was a fictitious character or Pauline Pantsdown. As mentioned before, if I was to speak genuine Aussie Strine to you, you would not have any idea what the hell I was talking about, again check Wikipedia. If I was to say to you what is a three wheeler, salada cracker used in a conversation mean to you. Very much the same as Cockney Rhyming Slang. If you so much as thought that Aussie Strine was simply Australian English tells me how much you really lack in knowledge or ignorance about the way we talk. Keep to what you know about or please check Google or Wikipedia to get the facts.DU

Paladin
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by Paladin » July 28, 2015, 3:25 pm

I am with you Downunder, Aussie Strine in the true sense of the word is dead. Died so many years ago. Australians have their own pronunciation of many words, just as NZ have their own queer way of talking, but to suggest we speak strine is very far from the truth. G.T., I suggest you get the correct information before you make rash and very silly statements.

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 3:31 pm

I thought Stine was just the informal word for Australian English. Like all languages Australian English will evolve. Is Strine dead? That's not how I would see it. Perhaps Strine has a technical meaning. I haven't hit google yet.

If it is dead, how do you describe modern Australian English?

noosard
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by noosard » July 28, 2015, 3:42 pm

Wouldn't have said Aussie Strine is dead just evolved like most living languages

Paladin
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by Paladin » July 28, 2015, 3:46 pm

SLANG not STRINE https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... PmE3s_HrXg
You have got a lot to learn Ignorance is bliss, Facts speak louder than words

slang
Last edited by Paladin on July 28, 2015, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 3:48 pm

Yes noosard. Do you see it as a pejorative term? I see it as a positive word. Aussies seem justifiably proud of Australia and things Australian to me. OK, you go over the top on cricket but I see Strine as a good assertion of Australian identity.

The link isn't working paladin?

Paladin
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by Paladin » July 28, 2015, 4:10 pm

you have the boot on the other foot. you are talking obvious BS. are you trying to tell me that you know more about the Aussie speech than I do. you two deserve each other. The pure fact is we do not speak Strine and strine is not commonly used as Aussie English it died a clear death. you are terribly confused with Aussie Slang. I would like to strongly suggest you use the words Aussie Slang which in todays method is what is sometimes used not strine

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 4:23 pm

Wikipedia says that Strine is "used to describe a broad accent of Australian English."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strine

It's wider than slang and that's how I use the term. In my opinion many Aussie speakers still speak with a broad accent of Aussie English. It clearly isn't dead on this meaning. You seem to be giving words your own meaning Paladin?

downunder
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by downunder » July 28, 2015, 4:41 pm

THIS IS STRINE

   

Strine 

An abbreviated form of the word "Australian" that in legend is heard in the Australian accent of English, in much the same way as "Arcadian" has evolved into "Cajun".
Because of that shortening of the word and the way the Oz accent seems to run one word into the next, it's been used as a name for the collection of words that have been similarly shortened by Australian English speakers, expecially ockers, as well as the wide range of particularly Australian slang words. BUT NOT BY ALL

In the mid '60s an Australian writer Alistair Morison wrote a book under the pseudonym Afferbeck Lauder (alphabetical order) called "Let Stork Strine" (Let's talk Australian) which became popular for a while and spawned a series of books and other Strine publishings (Nose Tone Unturned aka No Stone Unturned, and so on.)

Here are several Strine examples translated into English:

"Eye level arch feed, a frosty, anna feecher, with air chew" is Strine for "I'll have a large meal, a cold beer, followed by a feature (i.e. sex), so I don't want you around."

Maz dryza dead dingo's donga (I am as dry as a dead dingo's donger, i.e. I'm rather thirsty)

Flamin Pom bastard zazmadza cutsnake, he yodelled on the wall to wallen ran out way past the black stump (The crazy English guy is as mad as a cut snake, he just threw up on the carpet and ran off into the outback)

Moffta point percy atta porseline (I'm off to point percy at the porcelain, i.e. take a piss)

WE DO NOT SPEAK LIKE THIS. IT IS A LOST ART.

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 5:05 pm

Surely the good citizens of say Melbourne haven't spoken like this for yonks if ever? I understand Australia is one of the most urbanized countries in the world and I suspect that has been so more or less since it was settled by white people. The Thais are understandably big on farm language but in Oz that's largely hamming up for foreigners? Principally you guys stirring up the Poms. :D

While I enjoy that kind of chat, that's not how see I Strine. I see it as Wikipedia suggested - it's a very wide definition.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by jackspratt » July 28, 2015, 5:12 pm

GT93 wrote:I thought Stine was just the informal word for Australian English.
Correct (strine, that is).

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 28, 2015, 5:20 pm

Right the Tigers are roaring.

GO JACK, now take your time and kick the Bloody Goal

:D

It's one all between you chaps.

Oh we're from Tigerland
A fighting fury we're from Tigerland
In any weather you will see us with a grin
Risking head and skin
If we're behind
we'll never mind
we'll fight and fight and win
oh where from tigerland
we never weaken til the final siren goes
like the tigers of old
we're strong and we're bold
oh we're from tiger
-YELLOW AND BLACK-
oh we're from tigerland

Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/richmond-foot ... Lelh3tt.99

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » July 30, 2015, 1:56 am

You just couldn't make this up. Malthouse is open to a call to coach Adelaide and it's reported:

"A few days ago, AFL commentator and Malthouse's former Richmond teammate Kevin Bartlett said the Crows should look at Malthouse.

"Remarkably ... my wife said to me today `I've seen that quote' and I said `well, there's no way you'd want to live in Adelaide'," Malthouse said.

"She said `we don't have to live in Adelaide - you do'."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... z3hJA78U3U

Adelaide doesn't deserve the miseries that come with Mick. :D

marjamlew
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by marjamlew » July 31, 2015, 7:42 pm

Great game of footy tonight. Tiges on fire and beat the Hawks with pace and quick ball movement BUT the big winners were Jack and Aardy's mobs in Perth. Weagles beat Hawthorn over there next Saturday and 1 - 2 on the ladder and home finals stitched up.
How's the cricket goin? :D
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by GT93 » August 1, 2015, 12:54 am

Oh man, the Tigers. The top teams have to be very wary of them. Rex Hunt will be happy. The Hawks can be beaten and I'm very pleased to see that.

The what marjamlew? :D

marjamlew
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by marjamlew » August 1, 2015, 2:01 pm

Today Foxtel had a Press Red for Ed commentary option for the Collingwood v Melbourne game. The red button got you Eddie McGuire, Tony Shaw and Peter Daicos doing a deliberate pro Collingwood call of the game that the pies were supposed to dominate. Given that Melbourne pulled their pants down and publicly xxxxxx them it was a hilarious call of the game. They blamed the umpires, bagged the opposition and in the end finally turned on their own players. It was gold.
Watch Me!!

wazza
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by wazza » August 1, 2015, 2:11 pm

Hope u didnt boo them Arjarn

marjamlew
udonmap.com

2015 Aussie Rules season

Post by marjamlew » August 1, 2015, 5:14 pm

wazza wrote:Hope u didnt boo them Arjarn
Nah Wazza but mate I had a great chuckle. Eddy was as dark as Khamal and no poker face - it was written all over his massive mug :D
See the Swannies were back on track today. They gave Adelaide a bath. I wonder if anyone else is questioning whether they are a better side without the Australian of the Year in the 22?
Watch Me!!

Return to “World Sports”