STRINE

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
downunder
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by downunder » July 30, 2015, 7:52 am

As mentioned before, if I spoke Strine to you, you would not have any idea what I was saying. Following is proof of the fact. Here is only a small section of strine . Are you, in your infinite wisdom about all things Australian can tell me that this is how football commentators describe matches. Not only would your Wife not understand, nor would anyone else including the Commentator. You make a fool of yourself [-X when you talk about Australia without the FACTS. Other people her have told you the same, but in your case it is "don't let the truth get in the way of what you think" as long as it sounds good to you. You have been advised before by others to talk about what you know, not the constant dribble you dish out. Advice: Take your onkapringa out of your lemonade and stop playing with you saladas.

STRINE

A Dictionary Of Terms

A comprehensive wordlist of real Australian speech
"Curtsey O' the bloke onna street"

(The original Strine Online was compiled by Rick Schellen)

[A] [C] [D] [E] [F] [G] [H] [J] [K] [L] [M] [N] [O] [P] [Q] [R] [S] [T] [W] [Y]

A
Air: Strine expression of agreement or affirmation ("Dja getny b'tydas fer dinner t'noite, maam?" "Air Aw did")
Airpsly Fair-billis: Exceptionally good or pleasing ("Aw heddan Airpsly Fair-billis toime lar snoite")
Awmus: See "nilly" and "sawmus"
An archer mean: Strine expression of agreement and solidarity ("Thet blokes a dairm lunatic!" "Air! An archer mean")
Anks: Strine expression of appreciation ("Anks mite, yer a reel spawt!") Often heard as "ynks" in Southern Strine dialect.
A-queue stick: Strine musical expression ("Gona gidda brairn new a-queue stick ktar")
A'riddy: Before the expected time ("Aw wint ta peeker up but she wuz a'riddy gawn")
Ark Ellery: A room or building where paintings and sculptured works are displayed
Assprad: Obsessively preoccupied with tidiness around the home. An affliction predominantly affecting Strine women ("She's so assprad y'know. She keepsa Rome lookin grite!"). See also Gloria Soame
Augustra: A group of Strine classical musical players ("It san's grite win the Augustra comes in, plyin' thet cleskal music")
Awelesh: Part of the anatomy of the eye. Most frequently used in plural ("She jiss fludders er aweleshes et innybody")
Awl: Petroleum product used in cars ("Y'godda hev awl in the ingine fya wannut ta run prop'ly")

B
Baandry: The edge ("He got ta the baandry 'n di'n know wut ta do")
Baked Necks: Popular Strine breakfast dish, as are Emma Necks, Scremblex, and Fright Chops
Bare-jet: Strine expression of surprise, used primarily by mothers ("C'mon you lazy goofer nuffin. Ain-choo owta bare-jet?")
Bay paan?: Strine expression of apology, often used when a sentence has not been understood ("Hey, queue doosa fiver?" "Bay paan? I din ear ya!" "Oz askin' if yikkud doosa fiver")
B'cuya: Odd, bizarre ("Looks priddy b'cuya t'me!")
Beards: Popular Strine game, often played in "pubs" and "tevvens" ("Cown mite, Aw gi' y'a ghyme o' beards")
Beeg: Opposite of "smool" ("Jeez ut's bloody beeg!")
Beeyon: A "meeyon meeyon" ("The wuz beeyons o' the baastuds!")
Berra: A handcart for conveying things, materials ("Fill the berra with sment pleece mite")
Betchry: Strine power unit ("Guessa cupla betchries f'me rydio, pleece maam")
Bewful: Strine word used to express the beauty of something ("Ut wuz jiss bewful!")
Bim-bye: A form of attack ("Arm! Arm! I bin bim-bye a bloody Mozzie")
B'jamas: Special clothing used when sleeping, also known by some as "jaamies" or "peejyes" ("Cown kids! Gitcha b'jamas on!")
Boll; Boller: Strine drinks container ("Gissa boller rum pleece mite?; Less creka boll t'noite")
Borra, Burra: To obtain something on the premise of returning it at a later date ("Cobburra yer Pearl Jairm CD?")
Bran: A colour, ranging from light oatmeal to dark chocolate - 'Pline rairping piper' is often Bran
Breeyant: Wonderful, Clever, Exceptional ("Oy seen some smaat kids but thet kids jiss breeyant!")
B'teecular: Specific ("Woddaya hefta be so b'teecular a bed ut?")
B'tyda: Strine vegetable, also known as a "spad" ("Gdonya mum, the b'tydas a grite!")
Bynk: A Southern Strine dialectal pronunciation of "benk", a place that trades in money. ("Jeggoida the bynk, Frynk?" "Noy, Aw dingo that wye hoime")

C
Caan: Strine equivalent of "long live" used only at sporting ceremonies. ("Caan the kets!" "Caan the moddy Roos!")
Cancel: A group of people who meet to decide Strine future and policies. See also "Taan Cancel"
Cancelling: Unique Strine method of helping those with difficulties ("Jacko's awrot! He jiss needs a bidda cancelling!")
Carmen Seamy: Unusually helpful Strine character ("Carmen Seamy annile see what ic'n do")
Ceegrette: A "smoke". Also known as a "ceeghie" ("Godda ceegrette, mite?")
Chiggit aowt!: Strine expression of wonderment or awe. ("Chiggit aowt, maam!")
Choojern: Nippers ("Oola choojern god edda skewl early todye")
Civeeyan: Non-military person ("Inny civeeyan kesualdies?")
Coda: Half of a half ("She kyme beck 't coda ta four")
Colcha: The skills, arts and practices of a people ("Ool a nytion needs is a bidda colcha")
Commanytion: A combining ("Ut wuz a commanytion o' fectas thet cause' 'is death")
Congredulite, Congredulide (between vowels): Strine expression of approval ("I 'ed ta congredulide 'im on 'is tyste in music")
Corparse, Corpse: Expression of time with similar usage to "Hubbarse" ("----! Sorady corparse four!")
Cosha: Strine bargaining expression ("Yikkun 'ev ut bud ut scona cosha!")
Cossum: Strine request, usually as used by a child to a parent ("Cossum new shoes please maam?")
Covva: a request ("Covva lookatje new car?")
Cown!: Strine expression of impatience ("Cown! We 'evn' god ool dye!")
Cudav: Strine word to express something which might have happened ("Weel you Cudav nokme daahn wivva fevva!")

D
Deb-beat: A loser ("Inny deb-beat kid taya thet!")
Debt: Disbeleif ("Nah debt a baretit, you're a Jim!")
Deeshes: Items used for eating etc. ("Dja woish the deeshes yit?")

pal52
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by pal52 » July 30, 2015, 8:27 am

As mentioned before, if I spoke Strine to you,

Is this thread under the wrong heading

ting_tong
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by ting_tong » July 30, 2015, 8:58 am

pal52 wrote:As mentioned before, if I spoke Strine to you,

Is this thread under the wrong heading
yes, a case of old timers disease :shock:

GT93
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by GT93 » July 30, 2015, 10:19 am

I think the old codger has been out drinking too many bottles of Shiraz with OT and is halfway under the table .......... \:D/

Perhaps the Mrs. needs to go pick him up. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by GT93 » July 30, 2015, 1:49 pm

On a more mature note khun downunder, here are a couple of definitions of Strine:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... ish/Strine

"The English language as spoken by Australians; the Australian accent, especially when considered pronounced or uneducated:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strine

"Strine /ˈstraɪn/ is a term coined in 1964[1] and subsequently used to describe a broad accent of Australian English. The term is a syncope, derived from a shortened phonetic rendition of the pronunciation of the word "Australian" in an exaggerated Broad Australian accent, drawing upon the tendency of this accent to run words together in a form of liaison.[2]"

So yes I'm still saying Australian football commentators commentate in Strine. Strine is way more than just colourful slang. If you provide some good links you might convince me I'm wrong. I think you'd need some good sources stating unambiguously that Strine isn't wider than slang. Cranky assertions don't cut it. While you're finding the sources you might like to write to the editors of the Oxford dictionary getting them to amend their definition.

For other readers this thread is a spill over from a dust up in the 2015 Aussie Rules season thread.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by marjamlew » July 30, 2015, 4:36 pm

Strine with Rex Hunt (no it's not Aussie rhyming slang):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuvO1zJJihw
Watch Me!!

ronan01
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by ronan01 » July 30, 2015, 4:45 pm

marjamlew wrote:Strine with Rex Hunt (no it's not Aussie rhyming slang):
He has a couple of brothers I think: Mike Hunt and Pork Hunt

GT93
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by GT93 » July 31, 2015, 1:01 pm

I'd forgotten old Rex Hunt. He's a real character. I hope he's a bit more subdued at home or he'd drive his family batty.

wazza
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by wazza » July 31, 2015, 11:58 pm

ronan01 wrote:
marjamlew wrote:Strine with Rex Hunt (no it's not Aussie rhyming slang):
He has a couple of brothers I think: Mike Hunt and Pork Hunt
Oldies but some goodies ! LOL

marjamlew
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by marjamlew » August 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by marjamlew » September 6, 2015, 5:51 pm

11960141_1000218589998555_2523563274600474648_n.jpg
too right
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by GT93 » September 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/canni ... jgfar.html

It would seem that this former teacher's sandgroper students should have a very colourful vocabulary if they ever heard her let fly like this. I should think she has a lovely Aussie accent. Imagine the gobful the husband must occasionally get if she's married. Ronan01 might want to borrow some of her words to describe Bill Shorten. :D

Barney
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by Barney » September 7, 2015, 4:16 pm

GT93 wrote:http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/canni ... jgfar.html

It would seem that this former teacher's sandgroper students should have a very colourful vocabulary if they ever heard her let fly like this. I should think she has a lovely Aussie accent. Imagine the gobful the husband must occasionally get if she's married. Ronan01 might want to borrow some of her words to describe Bill Shorten. :D
GT I didn't get any strine out of that.
Just the rantings of a typical aussie pi.sed off female. No more than I have heard at a footy game. The woman of today have it over men on the abuse language scale. But men are much better at strine and hiding an insult. It's how you say it that that matters. I'm sure even you have had aussies talk to you and you haven't picked up their true feelings. :D

GT93
udonmap.com

STRINE

Post by GT93 » October 29, 2015, 11:09 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-28/a ... nk/6892910

I see a couple of Aussie speaking experts have been slugging it out about the influence of alcohol on the development of Strine:

"Claims [by Dean Frankel that] the Australian accent sounds slurred because our forefathers were drunk all the time are "absolute rubbish", an expert says.

Victoria University public speaking expert Dean Frankel claims the Australian alphabet was "spiked by alcohol" because the first British arrivals to the country were big drinkers.

Mr Frankel told the ABC "speech was more contagious than the flu" and said: "Clearly we have been sloshed in alcohol for a very long time"."

Frankel also opined:

"Alcohol to Australians is like guns to Americans," Mr Frankel said. "Alcohol has been a part of the Australian culture for so damn long, it is crucial to the DNA of Australia." :shock:

I'm going to continue to use the word "Strine" as it's defined in the dictionaries:

"The English language as spoken by Australians; the Australian accent, especially when considered pronounced or uneducated:"

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... ish/Strine

Return to “Open Forum”