Windows 10 Download Reservation started today

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » August 9, 2015, 3:32 pm

[/quote]Adhoc, can you confirm everything is still working OK with your new W10?[/quote]

Working fine. The only problem i have is that I have no sound. It's got to be something in the settings, but I can't find it. Things play, it's as if the speakers are muted. (They're not). I've got some USB speakers and they work fine, so It's not that bad.
samuel - thanks for the link, useful info.

dazzz
udonmap.com

Post by dazzz » August 9, 2015, 3:57 pm

So far i have done 3 desktops and 1 notebook. There desktops were ok except for my paid bit defender internet security. On win 10 was no icon no program files so i tried to reinstall but kept getting told it was already installed . Win 10 deletes most antivirus programs. The was a bit defender update patch but when i ran it said repair not work ? Had to download a program to clean bit defender out of my pc then do a clean install . took me 2 days . The 3rd pc i unistalled bit defender before upgrade and then reinstalled not problem.
The notebook was the same uninstalled bit def but after installing windows 10 i find my intel wifi card does not work with windows 10 therefore had no internet . Had to buy a usb tp link pen drive for internet. My notebook is excellent and has mosly been upgraded but is 7 years old and no more updates for my intel wifi card. So if you have an old notebook beware your wifi will probably not work

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 17, 2015, 8:26 am

Typically in the computer world, very little is perfect & there is always some 'make do'.. :D
As it was with Mint 17.2. Almost everything worked perfectly, except, for reasons I still cannot fathom, I cannot use my bluetooth headset. I (eventually) managed to get it connected, but as no sound comes through them, I hardly rate that as a success.
So, being the weekend & having a bit of time on my hands I decided to go back & have an attempt at getting Windows 10 to work.

The rollback to Windows 7 went perfectly - except it is not a speedy task.
I removed the VPN but then ran into an issue as Microsoft no longer saw my copy of Windows 7 as legitimate & so wouldn't give me the free upgrade.
I bit of a 'fix' solved that issue & I went through the fairly lengthy process of re-installing Windows 10.

Then deleted BitDefender & re-installed it. All aspects of BitDefender do not appear to be working 100% on Windows 10 - which is a bit of a pity - but the basic virus protection is working fine.

Next I re-installed my VPN. Thanks to Strong that was extremely easy. They provide an execution program that does all the installation without any need for the user to do much at all.

So now have a working copy of Windows 10 up & running again. Mind you it worked fine for a week before, so maybe a bit premature to say everything is definitely fine... :D

When working I do prefer it to Windows 7, although I am nowhere near using all the new 'bells & whistles' it comes with. The speed at which it starts & finishes compared to 7 is a big plus in my mind though.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 17, 2015, 8:47 am

It's been a few weeks since I installed Windows 10 on my son-in-law's laptop......chrome as the browser. So far, no burps. No added security programs running. I never had any issues with Microsoft Essentials keeping my computer in Udon virus free......so I'll keep faith that Windows Defender does the same (or better).
A bit off topic, but I love Chrome. I sync everything between my devices......which means my bookmarks, my tabs, note (using Google Keep), etc are all accessible.
Back to Windows 10.........no discs, no charge, no need for a user's manual, constantly updated (behind the scenes).....and thus far, trouble free. What's not to like?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 17, 2015, 9:06 am

BitDefender offers a couple of useful addons that (in my opinion) makes it worth paying for.
It protects my phone & tablet as well (not only from virus but some nice anti theft stuff as well).
Plus it has added security (preventing the use of keyloggers) for 'high security' browsing, like internet banking.
As I do all my banking over the net that is an important feature for me.

Agree that 10 looks a good program.

The suspicious are concerned that maybe Microsoft are attempting to corner the market with a 'freebie' & then charge for the next version of it.
They (Microsoft) have been exact about when the free upgrade will finish (1 years' time) & there are suspicions that the next version will be cloud based (as with the new Office) which will make the production of pirated copies impossible. It is conceivable that Microsoft would then make a small monthly charge to use it... :shock:

Hence me wanting to also use current Linux alternatives to Windows. It should stop me needing to go through a very sharp learning curve in a years time if Microsoft's generosity expires... :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 27, 2015, 7:20 pm

just upgraded to Windows 10.. As I maneuver around the desktop and various "Apps" the phrase that I'm muttering repeatedly is "what a piece of nonsense!" Its going to take me a lot of getting used to this new system...
Dave

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 27, 2015, 7:52 pm

What did you move from Frazee ??
7 ???

If so I cannot recommend highly enough downloading & installing Mint 17,2 Cinnamon on top of Windows 10 - so that you have a choice of which OS you log into on startup.

It is a ratio of about 9 (Linux Mint) to 1 (Windows 10) with me.
Mint is just so much quicker to start (& finish) but there are still some odd things that I do seem to need Windows for...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 27, 2015, 7:59 pm

Bob

It seems, I might need to engage your services with my Win 10 sitting here on my notebook asking me to install it daily.

Free lunch, free beers and free ride home is part of my remuneration.

Im on Win 8.1 , but using Shell Classic to help me get back to Win 7 , I cant get my head around swipes on notebooks

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 27, 2015, 8:14 pm

Those are exactly the sort of wages that I now work for Wazz. :D
Not that I work, of course, no visa... :D

Will be happy to do for you - on the grounds that you would, undoubtedly, buy me a drink anyway... :D
10 does away with most of the non mouse stuff that came in with 8 & is happy for you to use on a non touch screen...

I have Mint installed on my other laptop that you can try for a day or so while I upgrade your machine. But I do realise that some organisations are still a bit hesitant to let Linux be used as a PC/laptop OS - while more than happy to use it on the mainframe & servers.... :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 27, 2015, 9:12 pm

Installed 10 overnight on my lappy - over my legal W7. No significant difference noticed, and quite happy.

When I get back to Thailand, will look at putting it on my PC - over a not so legal W7.

I have heard that Daz Loader sorts out the problem. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 27, 2015, 9:15 pm

Jack

good to hear Windows for Westies is working well.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 28, 2015, 9:15 am

here's what I noticed after upgrade:

- If you previously had your Folders set not to "Hide" anything, then you lose it.. Significant files previously there were hidden. Right-click the START go to Control Panel and File Exploer Options - View and click on Show Hidden files folders and drives.. Click Apply, OK.

- Edge default Search Engine is BING.. No way to change it as only two other unknown search providers are in the drop down.. Help shows that Edge uses a particular search protocol obviously not yet found in other popular Search Engines.

- Edge "Favorites" is down the right side of the screen and too large to easily maneuver through your Favorites.. I see nothing in the settings menu that would allow me to change this.

- Other applications have crappy graphics in Win10..; SKYPE, GOOGLE EARTH among them..

- The first few start-ups in Win10 were exceptionally slow.. It seems to be getting better but still slower than Win7.

- My Antivirus has shown as OFF several times after Startups.. The Windows 10 DEFENDER also shows OFF... My regular Antivirus does startup OK when I click ON... After the latest startup (about my 10th since upgrade) my A/V seems to be starting correctly.

- as I mentioned, it is a learning experience.. Overall I'd say the upgrade experience is a bit frustrating as the Win10 appears slower, more cludgy and to me NOT user friendly.. But, I suppose that's because I'm used to Win95/Win2000, WinXP, Wn Vista and Vin7 which all are similar in many respects.. Win10 is definitely "related" (unlike the hated Win8!!) but different enough to get me cursing..
Dave

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 28, 2015, 10:14 am

I am still using Firefox as my browser & so use Google UK as my default search engine.
I tried using Edge in the preview stage but wasn't that happy with it - probably not Microsoft or Edge's fault I think that I am just used to where everything is in Firefox.
There are a couple of default settings that Microsoft automatically set that I didn't especially like or want, but they are fairly easy to change once that you know they are there. Things like Movie & Music player & Picture viewer..

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 28, 2015, 10:21 am

top right hand side, 3 dots, click on it and get the drop down menu. go to settings and under " open with" tick custom and then type in google or what ever you fancy and add it, it won't change strait away you have to close the browser and open it again.one thing I can't work out is if you want to open another page, the second page goes back to useless bing. also you can import stuff too. i'm not a computer buff and I ain't got a clue how it works but I seem to be able to use my old windows browser , that still has the old search and it found my hidden files in windows.old
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 31, 2015, 12:58 pm

I am currently testing a different Linux offering that has just been released - Zorin 10.
It is based on the much used Ubuntu 15.04 so has a very stable & solid base.

However Zorin's target audience is very much Windows 7 & Windows XP users.
Indeed it is possible (with one click of the mouse) to turn Zorin 10 into a replica of either of those two products.
It will, obviously, still have the issues that all Linux products have with a small number of Windows designed programs but, if they really are 'must have' then it is always possible to run them in a VirtualBox environment.

People really should not be using XP as an operating system any longer. It is now a hackers' paradise as Microsoft themselves highlight its' holes every time they release a new Windows security release...

Zorin is downloadable from here...
http://zorin-os.com/download10.html

It was particularly easy to install (alongside another Operating System as well) however I did discover 1 issue once I launched it...no wifi. As I do not have a hardwired connection that can be described as a bit of an issue.. :D

However I found this easy to do solution - which is really the point of my post, to post it here in case anyone else tries it & has the same issue..
Insert your Zorin installation disk and copy these 2 files from the installation disk to your Home directory:

pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_XXXXX.deb
pool/restricted/b/bcmwl/bcmwl-kernel-source_XXXXX.deb

Then run the following in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

That fixed it immediately...

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » August 31, 2015, 2:23 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:here's what I noticed after upgrade:

- My Antivirus has shown as OFF several times after Startups.. The Windows 10 DEFENDER also shows OFF... My regular Antivirus does startup OK when I click ON... After the latest startup (about my 10th since upgrade) my A/V seems to be starting correctly.

You may wish to try disabling all your anti-virus software and then repairing your Windows 10. Following this,switch on whatever protection you want.

I don't know what anti-virus you use but I know that Avast interfered with the Windows 10 installation and so it is possible that others do too.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 31, 2015, 6:24 pm

my A/V runs fine now...

Another thing I noticed today when I scanned an item to a PDF file and tried to view it.. My old Adobe Acrobat Reader was gone after the Win10 upgrade and without the Adobe Acrobat app I couldn't view it.. I went to the Adobe Acrobat site and tried to download the Free Acrobat Reader (ver 10). After downloading it advise "a new version is already installed". I checked the ALL APS area and found Acrobat Reader DC icon in the listing.. After clicking on it, the DC Reader went through installation and I now can view PDF files again... What is a bit bothersome is that when I went to the Adobe site I noticed that the Acrobat Reader DC was for sale.. I'm hoping the app I installed after the Win10 upgrade isn't a "trial" version with a time limit.. I've checked the Help About for the APP and it looks OK... I guess these are the things I'll run into over time.
Dave

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » August 31, 2015, 6:43 pm

This is because the installation of Windows 10 changes your default programs if you installed it using the "express" method. You need to change the default program for pdf files to Adobe Reader.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 3, 2015, 12:26 pm

My "Get Windows 10" has been reserved for a long time and I still have seen no sign of a download. How long have you guys waited for the upgrade?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 3, 2015, 12:43 pm

The day it came out... :D

It has probably downloaded already, but you have to click on the icon in the Windows tool bar. Then it should tell you that it has downloaded & that you need to install it...

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”