'Labour Party giant' Denis Healey dies at 98

World news discussion forum
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 4, 2015, 8:37 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34434378

The world of politics (especially in Britain) is sadly lacking characters like Denis.
Rough & tough in debate possibly hid what a smart thinker he actually was.
Might not have agreed with all he said & did but he was a person who would stand firmly behind his beliefs & argue the point.

He will be sadly missed..

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 4, 2015, 8:59 pm

I understand he was a veteran of Anzio too.

Unfortunately, his game was up when Mrs. T swept into power in 1979. He was really seen as the Labour Party old guard soon to be replaced by Bliar and his Cronies by the 90s.

Corbyn stands up for what he believes in, doesn't he? Political people with principles aren't all gone, Bob.

Mind you, I wouldn't vote for the blighter. :lol:
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 4, 2015, 9:09 pm

Yes he was a veteran with a pretty impressive CV during the second world war.

I always remember Healey saying (after a pretty heated Parliament exchange with Douglas Heard) that debating with Heard was like being savaged by a dead sheep - possibily should have said Pig given the Cameron revelations... :D

Sadly Corbyn is pretty unelectable in contemporary British politics, but he might actually manage to morph the Labour Party into something that offers people a genuine alternative to the special interest group politics that both main parties became.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 4, 2015, 9:24 pm

I would rather see a British political landscape populated by people like Corbyn or Healey than one occupied by the likes of Lord Ashcroft, a man who recently denied donating £8 million into Tory coffers to secure his place in the British Cabinet.

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/lord-ashcrof ... donations/
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 4, 2015, 9:49 pm

About 15 years ago I had to visit Mr Healey at his house at Alfriston, East Sussex.

I remember coming away thinking what a nice bloke he was. He made me a cuppa with cake and seemed more interested in asking about my life than the business in hand. I also remember it being difficult not to look at his eyebrows.

bignote1
udonmap.com

Post by bignote1 » October 4, 2015, 11:58 pm

[quote="Earnest"]I would rather see a British political landscape populated by people like Corbyn or Healey than one occupied by the likes of Lord Ashcroft, a man who recently denied donating £8 million into Tory coffers to secure his place in the British Cabinet.
Ashcroft no; but Healey, I would certainly agree with. As for Corbyn...he has been married 3 times....and because of his extreme left wing bent divorced his wife of 12 years because she refused to send their son to a failing comprehensive school. Or are you referring to JC (great initials) who a few weeks after the Brighton bombing invited Jerry Adams and Sinn Fein to tea at the House of Commons? He wouldn't be my choice. I have no idea why he canoodled with Diane Abbott.... they have nothing in common..... she refused to send her children to state schools and gave them a public education.

Return to “World News”