Grass Roots Footie 2015/16 (everything except EPL)

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 6, 2015, 10:04 am

KuPS Kuopio 2 FF Jaro 0......which league is this ?
socksy wrote:No idea without Googling Zid.
Well,I'm sure many of you will be kicking yourself for not realising that its the Veikkausliiga in Finland ! #-o
Kuopio is Finlands 8th largest city located in the region of Northern Savonia,Finland.......an area even more remote than Scunthorpe or Inverness,readers ! =;
Which brings me nicely to the Euro 2016 qualifying matches.....on Thursday,Finland are away to Romania who are currently only 1 point behind leaders,Northern Ireland.
With two matches two go,3 points will ensure qualification for the Irish and as they are at home to bottom team,Greece,they should make it.
But Finland need to win to keep their play off hopes alive and as they have won their last 2 matches,they might do N.Ireland a big favour.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 7, 2015, 6:58 am

Cheltenham 1-1 Braintree
Guiseley 0-3 Macclesfield
Disappointing result for Town in a way, but still sends them, temporarily, to the top of the League. No score at full time the visitors looked to have sneaked the points with an injury time goal, only for Town to finally strike as well.
After Forest Green had originally raced away to a substantial lead in the League it has now reverted to 'business as usual' with only 4 points separating the top 8 sides.

3 great points for Macclesfield away as they had been below Guiseley in the League. No longer after this result though as they move up to 14th. spot.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 7, 2015, 8:29 am

Zidane wrote:
Anyway,Torquays immediate future looks grim and I fancy them and Kidderminster as two of the teams to be relegated from the Conference this season ! =;
As per my earlier post,Torquay and Kidderminster are now the bottom 2 in the Conference ! =;
Biggest gate of the night was 6,706 who saw former long established football league clubs,Wrexham and Tranmere Rovers battle to a 2-2 draw.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 7, 2015, 8:55 am

This made me smile :D from a Macclesfield fan who went to Guiseley last night......a free sweet from the turnstile operator.....could never see it happening in the Premiership.

"Never having been to Guiseley before, I decided to venture up only to find it thundering and lightning and lashing down when I arrived.
A friendly little club. I mean where else have you been where you get a sweet off the turnstile operator on the way in? The cafe/club was relatively inexpensive (£1 for a hot chocolate and £1.30 for a sausage roll) and I was impressed by the guys doing the golden goal and the lady doing the raffle to raise money for the coffers, as Guiseley will be one of the clubs with a lower budget than ours. When I was going to the car park I was wished a safe journey home and congratulated on our excellent performance by a couple of Guiseley fans. A friendly little club and I must say I enjoyed my visit and not just because on the pitch we were excellent."

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 7, 2015, 2:23 pm

Of course Guiseley are a friendly club - they are based in Leeds where we are well known for welcoming visiting supporters.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 7, 2015, 2:55 pm

How many of these badges have you got,samster ? :D
Leeds United Service Crew.jpg
Leeds United Service Crew.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 7, 2015, 4:27 pm

Aaaah the LUFC Service Crew. Not for me but followed Leeds all over the country when they were in their pomp and was in the wrong place a few times to witness (and been on the end of!) a few things I would rather forget! TBH I did enjoy football more when there was a bit of an edge to it and not the present happy clappy crap you get when you go to the games. Only improvements to the spectacle of going to a game these days is the CPFC cheerleaders which should be compulsory at all grounds.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » October 8, 2015, 7:24 am

Braintree Town players shook the hands of all 30 fans who made the 290-mile round trip from Essex to Cheltenham after Tuesday's National League match.

Braintree drew 1-1 with Cheltenham despite taking an 90th-minute lead.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 10, 2015, 9:49 am

Today is National Non League Day which includes a televised match on BT Sport 1 at 12.30 lunchtime GMT between Macclesfield Town and Kidderminster Harriers. :shock:
Kidderminster are currently bottom of the Conference with no wins in 15 matches and Macclesfield are the most inconsistent team in the league having thrashed league leaders Forest Green 4-1 but lost to teams like Torquay and Cheltenham ! ;)
With Kidderminster having just appointed former Leeds boss,Dave Hockaday,as there new manager everything is pointing to an emphatic away win for the Harriers ! :-"
Also playing in the Conference today are Forest Green v Guiseley and Cheltenham who face a long trip to Gateshead.

Non-League Day: Wigs, free beers and 'priceless' tickets for fans
By Gary Smee BBC Sport
Free beer and burgers, a sea of brightly coloured wigs and paying whatever you like for a ticket are not the usual things you would expect at a football match.
However, these will be just some of the sights at non-league grounds on Saturday as tens of thousands of fans enjoy Non-League Day.
Now in its sixth year, and backed by the Football Association, Premier League and charity partners Prostate Cancer UK, the event is going from strength to strength.

In League 1 Scunthorpe are away to Oldham Athletic.Both teams boast identical records with 11 points from 11 games and a goal difference of minus -4.Everything points to a dour 0-0 draw.....sorry.
No game for Rangers this weekend but tomorrow FC United of Manchester entertain Buxton in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 10, 2015, 10:07 am

This seems my kind of match. Is this the national shxt on grossly overpaid professional footballers day? I wish we had the equivalent day in NZ for rugby.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 10, 2015, 10:32 am

This weekend sees international matches so there are no English or Scottish Premiership or Championship matches so its an opportunity for the grass roots teams to get in the limelight.
My local team,Macclesfield,are giving free entry to students,U18's and also U12's if they are accompanied by an adult.
At other clubs you can just pay what you want to enter and some have free beer and free food as part of the entry package.
Here are some of the things going on.....

Current Evo-Stik NPL Premier Division leaders Marine from Merseyside are leading the way on Saturday by offering free admission to Everton, Liverpool and Tranmere Rovers season ticket holders.
Marine Chairman Paul Leary said: "National Non-League Day provides a great opportunity for football clubs like Marine to attract new fans. This is a great way for local football fans to visit the Arriva Stadium, possibly for the first time. It would be great if more Premier or Football League supporters in Merseyside could adopt Marine as their second team."

The top-of-the-table clash between fourth placed Rushall Olympic and third placed Chorley at Dales Lane sees the Pics discounting admission to £5 for supporters from professional clubs and they are also running the same deal for anyone who can produce a utility bill with a Walsall postcode.

Ilkeston are running the same £5 offer for supporters across the East Midlands when they host Stocksbridge Park Steels and will also be admitting ladies and children for free. Students and members of the Armed Forces will be also be offered £1 entry.

Ilkeston chairman Dave Mantle said: "This is a tremendous opportunity to profile the team and our facilities. We are dead set on turning this into a family club that is a key part of the community and we are already aware that we are a lot of people’s favourite ‘second team’.

"Plenty of supporters are coming to our games when their side are not playing and the more the merrier. This is not an exercise about making money. We just want to show people what we have to offer at the New Manor Ground."

Hednesford fans are helping to organise events at Keys Park where they take on Ashton United. The Hednesford Football Club Supporters’ Association are planning a half-time penalty shoot-out between two local schools along with a gymnastic display.

The group’s Chairman Scott Smith said: "Non-League Day really is a big event this year across the country and the Supporters Association are delighted to be involved in assisting the club with trying to raise its profile within the local community. We hope people who perhaps haven’t visited Keys Park in the past come to enjoy the facilities for what promises to be a hugely enjoyable event."

Frickley Athletic are also throwing open their doors with free admission for supporters from Football League and Premier League clubs for their fixture with Stafford Rangers. The Blues are also staging to two junior games afterwards with a £3 pie and peas deal to raise funds towards the clubs redevelopment target of £50,000.

Matlock Town versus Eastwood Town is the final Premier Division fixture taking part. The Gladiators are also offering free admission and Chairman Tom Wright is looking forward to taking part in the nationwide celebrations promoting Non-League.

He said: "Non-League Day is an ideal opportunity for clubs to promote themselves and the non league game and we hope that fans who normally watch Football League sides will come down and like what they see and be persuaded to come back to Matlock on a more regular basis."

In Evo-Stik NPL First Division North Garforth who take on Mossley have given away hundreds of free tickets to local schools to celebrate Non-League Day. They are admitting pro club season tickets holders to the Brazilian Soccer Schools Stadium for free while reducing standard adult tickets to £4 and children and seniors to £1.

Garforth Secretary Chris Wright said: "Garforth Town wish to play a large part in the local community and the Non-League Day was seen as a way to give back to all the local children. We'd also like to thank our sponsor JS White and Co for their kindness in donating 100 free Garforth Town scarves for the children."

Radcliffe Borough are another side in the division participating when they host Cammell Laird by reducing adult prices to £5 with children and concessions going free. Like increasing numbers of Non-League clubs they are also admitting members of the Armed Forces for free.

Ossett Albion have invited their local Round Table group to their game against Burscough to line a up a range of entertainment for fans including a mascot event which will see Ossett Albion name their new junior mascot.

In Evo-Stik NPL First Division South early season title challengers Coalville Town are heavily discounting ticket prices to Owen Street for their clash with Leek Town with adults paying £4.50 or two adults and two children gaining entry for £10. Like Ossett Albion they are also laying on entertainment for fans including a bouncy castle for the youngest supporters.

Stamford are also offering £5 admission to their game with Halesowen to pro club season tickets holders and Chairman Chris Rivett hopes fans tempted along will see a cracking Evo-Stik NPL Division One South encounter to encourage them to return.

He said: "Non-League Day is a special day in the calendar, a chance for clubs to celebrate everything that is great about the semi-professional game. For the first time in a few seasons we are actually at home and with the international break co-inciding, it presents the opportunity for us to welcome some new faces to Kettering Road.

"We hope that this will certainly appeal to fans of our neighbouring teams across our county borders, who can pop down and see what we, as an ambitious club they perhaps don't get to watch too often, have to offer. I know supporters of clubs from higher up the football pyramid will be pleasantly surprised by the standard of football played at this level; it's a comment that has been regularly made by those who have already watched us this year.

"We hope the fans of teams who don't have a game, or are playing away, will want to come down and see how we're getting on. It'd also be great if our supporters can persuade a friend who follows another club regularly to come down with them on Saturday too.

"We've got players here with ties to a lot of clubs locally and I know fans like to see how they are getting on but whatever the reason for coming, I can assure them they'll be guaranteed a warm, Non-League welcome."

It was rumoured that 747man was asked to make a gesture by giving free taxi rides to fans wanting to see the Marine game......I believe he did make a gesture but not the one asked for.....true or not,I dont know ! :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 10, 2015, 11:08 pm

Zid scribed ........ In League 1 Scunthorpe are away to Oldham Athletic.Both teams boast identical records with 11 points from 11 games and a goal difference of minus -4.Everything points to a dour 0-0 draw.....sorry.

A bit off the mark with this statement Zid me old mucker - dont give up yer day job working at Tesco Lotus !! :lol: ... a pulsating high tempo encounter with The Iron coming out on top away at Old Ham 4-2 ...is this the start of a winning streak now thats 2 on the trott ?? [-o< .

In the lower LOWER leagues The Codheads of Grimesby scrambled a very lucky draw away at Braintree whilst Robins drew with Gateshead apparently enjoying a pork pie eating competition at half time ...BTW thats the players NOT the fans :shock: :shock:

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 11, 2015, 9:22 am

It certainly was an important win for Scunthorpe as beaten Oldham now slip into the bottom 4,level on points with Blackpool.Scunthorpes next game is at home is to Shrewsbury who also have identical points and goal differnce as The Iron.A win for Scunthorpe and they can start to focus on the top 10.....I'll predict its a dour 0-0 draw just to ensure a convincing Scunthorpe win.....just off to start my shift at Tesco Lotus now ! :(

Also in the Conference,Macclesfield defeated Kidderminster 2-1 which takes the Harriers winless run to 16.
Forest Green defeated Guiseley 3-0 to extend their lead at the top and,in form,Dover made it 5 wins on the trot by beating big spending Wrexham 2-1 and move into 3rd place.

Not much to get excited about in Scotland but St.Mirren reached the semi finals of the Challenge Cup after thumping Dunfermline 4-0.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 11, 2015, 12:28 pm

[quote="Zidane"]It certainly was an important win for Scunthorpe as beaten Oldham now slip into the bottom 4,level on points with Blackpool.Scunthorpes next game is at home is to Shrewsbury who also have identical points and goal differnce as The Iron.A win for Scunthorpe and they can start to focus on the top 10.....I'll predict its a dour 0-0 draw just to ensure a convincing Scunthorpe win.....just off to start my shift at Tesco Lotus now ! :(

Please carry on predicting dourness Zid ...... Scunny win when you do .

Could of been my call (email) to Mr Swan Scunnys rotund chairman that has changed the Irons fortunes lately as i requested he gave Mr Robins a bollocking and stop talking crap that this is the best squad ever essembled at the club ..HOGWASH ,they obviously werent around in the days of Steve Cammack and Beefy Botham and Alex Calvo Garcia !!! .. too many uninterested overpaid prancers nowadays.

Rant over.

Dont you leave any shopping trolleys in the car park Zid !! :lol: :lol:
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 12, 2015, 8:01 pm

Fifa has said the move to suspend Thai FA president Worawi Makudi for 90 days was made "on the grounds that a breach of the Code of Ethics appears to have been committed and a decision on the main issue may not be taken early enough".

It added: "This decision against Worawi Makudi followed a request from the chairman of the investigatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee, Dr Cornel Borbély. The case is now the subject of formal investigation proceedings."

The ban covers all national and international activity and is effective immediately, it said.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » October 14, 2015, 9:01 am

Conference matches last night.....

Altrincham 2 - 2 Kidderminster
Boreham Wood 0 - 1 Aldershot
Braintree 1 - 0 Dover
Bromley 1 - 2 Cheltenham
Eastleigh 3 - 2 Forest Green

Grimsby 7 - 0 Halifax
Macclesfield 1 - 0 Gateshead
Southport 1 - 2 Chester
Tranmere 0 - 1 Barrow
Welling 2 - 1 Lincoln City
Woking 2 - 2 Torquay

These results mean that Cheltenham cut Forest Greens lead at the top to just 2 points.Halifax really struggling now and are right down there with Kidderminster......very tight in the league with Barrow in 15th being just 5 points off a play off place......Wrexham v Guiseley tonight.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » October 14, 2015, 1:30 pm

Big derby in the Aussie soccer this weekend -
Melbourne City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen prepares to meet Besart Berisha again
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/m ... z3oWMByTbj

The sheilas are kicking off shorty too - with an interesting byline under the video for those who are switched on :-"
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/m ... k81xf.html
Watch Me!!

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » October 16, 2015, 8:26 am

A couple of live matches can be seen on Sunday

Dundee United v Hearts 1815 hours Thai time. SPL on Sky Sports 3.

Derby v Wolves 1915 hours Thai time. English Championship on Sky Sports .

Don't forget the inconvenience of the end of British Summer time :lol: next weekend which means a seven hour and not a six hour time difference for kick off times.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 17, 2015, 7:23 am

Scunthorpe V Shrewsbury
Cheltenham V Eastleigh
Dover V Macclesfield
Forest Green V Tranmere
North Ferriby United V FC United of Manchester
Rangers V Queen of Sth

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 18, 2015, 7:42 am

Scunthorpe 2-1 Shrewsbury
Cheltenham 1-1 Eastleigh
Dover 2-1 Macclesfield
Forest Green 0-2 Tranmere
North Ferriby United 1-0 FC United of Manchester
Rangers 2-1 Queen of Sth
Bit of a mixed bag there resultswise.
The Iron went behind very early on but pulled it back in the second half. The Shrews have a terrible penalty record this season & they gave the game to the home side with their season's 7th. so far. The Iron move way up the table to 12th. Dizzy times Jon... :D
Cheltenham conceded a late equaliser to keep them from topping the table as Forest Green slump at home. Macclesfield's opponents, Dover, are starting to look the form side at the moment as they consolidate 3rd. spot & are now only 2 points behind Forest Green.
It looked like it might be a tough day for Rangers too, as they slipped into half time a goal down. They actually had to wait until the last minute to preserve their 100% start to the season. However preserve it they did & are still 9 points ahead at the top as Raith continue to try & hang onto their coat tails.

Return to “World Sports”