Seriously ?

Thailand news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » November 11, 2015, 8:47 pm

The third paragraph from the bottom: I experienced that same sort of thing from two different Thais I've known for many years.....who otherwise feel comfortable talking about all sorts of things. But on this news, it's voices lowered and eyes on the lookout.
Shades of Thanom/Prapaht era.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by marjamlew » November 30, 2015, 6:34 pm

Now this one is pure gold. Fella charged with planning dastardly acts despite being locked up the whole time :D

A prime suspect in the "Khon Kaen Model" insurrection plot filed a counter-suit against investigators Sunday, his lawyer said.
She said her client could not be guilty of taking part in a recent insurrection plot alleged by the government, because he has been in Khon Kaen prison since May 2014.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... ues-police
Watch Me!!

Udon Map
Admin

Seriously ?

Post by Udon Map » November 30, 2015, 7:41 pm

marjamlew wrote:She said her client could not be guilty of taking part in a recent insurrection plot alleged by the government, because he has been in Khon Kaen prison since May 2014.
Really? So people in prison never scheme to commit crimes?

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by marjamlew » December 1, 2015, 1:33 pm

Udon Map wrote:
marjamlew wrote:She said her client could not be guilty of taking part in a recent insurrection plot alleged by the government, because he has been in Khon Kaen prison since May 2014.
Really? So people in prison never scheme to commit crimes?
Did ya read the article?
Gen Prawit Wongsuwon, the deputy prime minister for security, said last week the nine men plotted subversive attacks in Bangkok and the assassinations of two key government figures.
Please credit and share this article with others using this link:http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... ues-police. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.

8 were not in jail. 1 was in jail. difficult to prove conspiracy if he was the only one in jail.
Watch Me!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » December 1, 2015, 2:55 pm

Shades of Taiwan censorship under Chiang Kai Skek and censorship in Saudi Arabia today.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... n-thailand

noosard
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by noosard » December 9, 2015, 3:38 pm

Mr Kent and Mr Davies maybe to be questioned by police for speeches given
Now that is seriously

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by marjamlew » December 10, 2015, 12:19 pm

Revealed: Thailand's most senior human trafficking investigator to seek political asylum in Australia
Thailand’s most senior police investigator into human trafficking is seeking political asylum in Australia, saying he fears for his life because influential figures in the Thai government, military and police are implicated in trafficking and want him killed.

Major General Paween Pongsirin arrived in Melbourne a few days ago on a tourist visa and has now told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s 7.30 program and Guardian Australia he plans to seek asylum.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... are_btn_tw
Watch Me!!

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by jai yen yen » December 10, 2015, 12:38 pm

This is going to cause some trouble. That fellow better hope he can stay in Australia.

parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » December 10, 2015, 2:26 pm

jai yen yen wrote:This is going to cause some trouble. That fellow better hope he can stay in Australia.

Seriously?? As seriously as today is a holiday.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by marjamlew » December 10, 2015, 4:46 pm

Head Human Trafficking Investigator Seeks Asylum in Australia
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... section=11
Watch Me!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » December 31, 2015, 4:44 pm

Thai Rath is closing out the calendar with a cartoon that asks: What sort of leader is better, a democratic leader or an authoritarian one? The second panel says the democratic leader solves problems to make the people happy. The third panel says the authoritarian leader shoulders the burden of the people and solves problems to make the leader happy.

The little mouse to the left is carrying a sign that says 'we want to choose our PM'.

The cartoon doesn't answer the question. :roll:

http://www.thairath.co.th/cartoon/5/97/25

parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » February 8, 2016, 12:38 pm

An extract from an article in today's BP:

The monkey is seen as belonging to the hard metal element, while fire represents the sun, says Hong Kong-based celebrity feng shui master Alion Yeo.

"When the two things combine, it creates an extremely high temperature. We have to be prepared for a lot of disputes, sickness," he told AFP.

"One can even associate fire and metal with missiles, bullets or rockets," he said.

Our western minds have a hard time grasping things like feng shui.......but when it comes to Chinese (not just in China!), it's part of their DNA.

parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » April 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

I learn my Thai in bits and spurts (mostly bits)......like today when I wanted to know how to say 'delusional'......as it seems to so appropriate to the times. And like so many words in Thai these days, it's derived from the word in English:

พา-รา-นอย
pa-ra-noi

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by FrazeeDK » April 4, 2016, 10:04 pm

I'm surprised it doesn't have a "d" at the end with a silence indicator.. Thai's tend to drop the last consonant from English words...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by parrot » April 12, 2016, 1:33 pm

Several years ago on a trip to a border crossing (foot traffic only) in MaeHongSon, my wife, daughter, and I were allowed by the border guard to place one foot over the barbed wire fence into Burma. At the time there was zero inkling of any moves toward democracy in that country......so I joked with my brothers back in the US that our mission that day 'was to free the country from military rule.....and Aung San Suu Kyi from prison'.
One of my brothers emailed me recently and suggested a return trip.....only this time going to Burma......and placing one foot across the border.......in hopes that we can have the same luck on the other side of the fence. That almost seems more far fetched than our previous mission.
Attachments
That's what Burma looks like-!!.JPG

rjj04
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by rjj04 » April 12, 2016, 2:09 pm

With what just happened in Arizona and Colorado, in the not too distant future, you might need to take another trip to Canada and stick your foot across that border as well.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by rjj04 » April 12, 2016, 2:24 pm

Last time I drove back into the USA from Canada the US Customs decided to search my car. I asked them what the hell they were looking for... "drugs" was the reply. Then he clarified... "prescription drugs". Thus spake the corporate fascist state that cometh.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Seriously ?

Post by marjamlew » April 15, 2016, 4:36 pm

Watch Me!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Seriously ?

Post by parrot » September 6, 2016, 3:34 pm

Excuse me while I shed a tear (crocodile).

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... i-2-others

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Seriously ?

Post by FrazeeDK » September 6, 2016, 5:03 pm

do you truly suppose he'll do 20 years?? The founder and backbone of PAD?? He must have really peed on somebody's parade with his Manager editorials and articles...
Dave

Return to “Thailand News”