mickojak
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by mickojak » February 4, 2016, 5:22 pm

rreddin
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by rreddin » February 4, 2016, 7:09 pm

An earlier report said that the only offence committed was that of having more than 120 playing cards!

"Asia Pacific Bridge Federation - The Pacific Asia Bridge Federation is a bridge organization in Pacific Asia. It is an organization formed in 1957 as the Far East Federation to administer bridge activities in the respective geographic area. This organization was later renamed. The PABF comprises World Bridge Federation Zone 6 and as of now the President is Ms Khunying Ester C. Sophonpanich of Thailand. The PABF includes 13 members Australia, China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand." http://www.bridgeguys.com/International ... tions.html)

Oops!

waanjai
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by waanjai » February 4, 2016, 10:14 pm

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2212 ... h-pattaya/

Seen from Udon there are two Hmmms

1. Who ordered the crackdowns on foreigners happening or announced lately? No longer a special treatment for foreigners? Whose countries became more and more critical towards Thailand? It would be only normal that it starts in Pattaya, then Phuket and then maybe Udon?

2. Are they all that stupid? That card playing club was founded in 1994 - 22 years ago. And nobody never asked a lawyer, a judge, a city servant or a member of the police whether what they were doing was compliant with Thai Law? Had they never seen these plates - called concessions - on the wall of other entertainement venues? Could that happen anywhere else? That you are ordering a beer only to find out in the wrong moment that the place does not have a licence to sell booze? What guarantees are given to the innocent visitors of the recommended sponsors here? I am not very optimistic.

tataw
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by tataw » February 5, 2016, 1:58 am

Oh boy, lets arrest expatriates playing bridge whilst the rest of the criminals, scam merchants, pimps, con artists, ladyboys, prostitutes, and many more other nefarious activities that take place in sin city are ignored by the boys in brown. Maybe they thought they could extort more money out of retirees who are easy pickings?

Also not to mention the numerous gambling dens (with more than 120 playing cards) that are run under the noses of the BIB and in complicity with the numerous high ranking officials.

About sums Thailand up!

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by jai yen yen » February 5, 2016, 3:01 am

I guess if I could speak my mind I would have a lot to say, unfortunately in the land of silliness I cannot. Just glad I dont live there anymore.

Zidane
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Zidane » February 5, 2016, 3:58 pm

I wonder who the whistleblower was who complained to the Thai police ?
Maybe some disgruntled old ex member who was asked to leave the group as he tried to introduce "strip jack naked" into the sessions to try to entice some of the old dears to get their kit off ! :shock:
Maybe getting a licence from the local authorities is the way forward for the Bridge Club.
Useing a sledghammer to crack a nut is a good description of whats happened here.

"Oh,Beatrice,there are 50 young men from the Royal Thai police who want to take down our particulars....at our age,too.....what a cheek."
card school.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Jsell50
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Jsell50 » February 6, 2016, 9:18 am

I was told it was because the tax was not payed on the playing cards. There were no tax stamps on any of the packages. Maybe they are trying to send a message to foreigners???

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by jai yen yen » February 6, 2016, 9:45 am

Jsell50 wrote:I was told it was because the tax was not payed on the playing cards. There were no tax stamps on any of the packages. Maybe they are trying to send a message to foreigners???
That tax law is an old law from 1935 or so and only used this time because they could find any evidence of gambling and so to save face they fingerprinted and charged all these terrible people along with a 5000 baht fine I believe. My wife says most Thais are fined 500 baht for gambling. Make of that what you will.

tataw
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by tataw » February 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Apart from the poor written English it would appear that the local constabulary will not or cannot accept that the elderly people playing bridge weren't gambling. Probably a case of trying to save face.

http://pattayadailynews.com/update-of-f ... card-game/

fantom
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by fantom » February 6, 2016, 11:24 am

According to the story in yesterday's online Bangkok Post, one woman remained in jail after she refused to to sign a report saying she was caught gambling. ONLY ONE! Did the other 31 meekly pay their 5,000 baht fine/bail and sign their confessions? I have warned my wife that I may be a few days late getting home next time I go to play Bridge.

Jsell50
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Jsell50 » February 6, 2016, 12:01 pm

I sure don't like it either but there is an old saying that applies here: "You can't fight city hall!" You especially can't fight it if you are not a citizen. I think it would be better to find some Thais that like to play bridge and ask them to help.

Zidane
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Zidane » February 6, 2016, 12:12 pm

From the Bangkok Post.....

"The card players' plight was eased after the president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand, Chodchoy Sophonpanich - a civic activist and a member of the prominent banking family - went to Pattaya on Thursday morning to advise police that bridge was treated under the law as a sport rather than gambling.
Local media reported that she intended "to educate police" on the rules of bridge.
"Police know that bridge is a sport because a similar case happened before, but this time it was military and district officials who initiated the raid and they probably didn't know," said Chaiyut Assanaiyarat, the bridge league's manager."
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Jsell50
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Jsell50 » February 6, 2016, 2:13 pm

Does that mean they are going to give all the fines back? LOL!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by marjamlew » February 6, 2016, 4:48 pm

Detailed account from a hardened bridge player who was in the thick of it -
http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/c ... -criminal/

This story is up there on the bizarre Thailand stories list :D
Watch Me!!

Jsell50
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Jsell50 » February 6, 2016, 4:57 pm

Thank you!

fantom
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by fantom » February 6, 2016, 5:13 pm

Thanks Jsell, good advice I guess, Tom

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by Jing Jing » February 6, 2016, 9:23 pm

Replace the normal cards with Spanish playing cards. That will really confuse them
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by thaiguzzi » February 7, 2016, 8:40 pm

TAT and the RTP's version of Russian Roulette;
remove revolver from holster
load with all six bullets
aim at foot
fire at will...

tataw
udonmap.com

A bridge too far

Post by tataw » February 8, 2016, 1:41 am

Thai Police - extortionists.............150,000 baht for playing with untaxed cards and then reducing it to 50,000 when the amount wasn't available. All of them should be transferred to a "non-active" post in Outer Mongolia

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ty-tourism

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”