Thai Equivalent to Eating Pizza with a Knive and Fork

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 14, 2016, 3:02 pm

While having my post-noodle soup cup of coffee at Dose today, I was going to ponder the detection of gravitational waves.....but decided Dose was a better place to ponder this:
What's the Thai equivalent to eating pizza with a knife and fork? I found my answer at Dose.......but thought I'd see what others say first. I'll post my answer in the next day.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 14, 2016, 3:26 pm

Eating khao niao and larb with a fork and spoon?

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 14, 2016, 3:31 pm

I always found it funny that when I order a cookie in a coffee shop here it comes with a knife and fork.
UFF DA!

parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Equivalent to Eating Pizza with a Knife and Fork

Post by parrot » February 14, 2016, 3:36 pm

Shado wrote:Eating khao niao and larb with a fork and spoon?
That definitely fits the picture of someone eating pizza with a knife and fork. I've seen it done on occasion at my favorite Lahb place.....Uncle Mustache.....next to the mosque.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 14, 2016, 5:02 pm

A little off topic, but I've found that when I order (western) soup, I've eaten everything else by the time it arrives at the table.
But in my early days in Udon, I joined an established farang for a meal. I was a bit taken back, but went along with it, when he ordered large portions of ice cream and we both ate it before ordering the main food.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 15, 2016, 2:34 pm

As promised, here's my Thai equivalent of eating pizza with a knife and fork (although it may not be as good as eating sticky rice with a spoon):
Using chopsticks to place noodles neatly on your spoon so you don't have to slurp.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 15, 2016, 2:44 pm

Using chopsticks to place noodles neatly on your spoon so you don't have to slurp.
My wife does that all of the time and she wondered why I didn't. I do more often now.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 15, 2016, 3:13 pm

Shado wrote:
My wife does that all of the time and she wondered why I didn't. I do more often now.
I think noodles were meant to be eaten from a spoon, they'd be served with a serving spoon rather than a soup spoon.

Off topic.....but concerning eating: Are there any other (than me) left-handed chopstick users?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 15, 2016, 3:36 pm

I can't see what's wrong with eating pizza with a "Knife and Fork" --- Do it 'most' all the time so as not to spill roughage into my lap.

OK, we were born with fingers - their primary use, designed by genetics, to place food in our mouths or help our primeval ancestors to swing through the trees - BUT, IMHO, one sets the standards of his/her present day.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » February 16, 2016, 4:31 am

parrot wrote:Using chopsticks to place noodles neatly on your spoon so you don't have to slurp.
Well, the proper way to eat Spaghetti is of course using fork and spoon. Spaghetti are no finger-food.

And of course was the pizza in Italy eaten with knive and fork. As a good pizza came with a good glass of wine.
And nobody wanted to have that glass of wine spoiled with the sugro which belongs on every pizza.

Pizza became finger-food - even in Italy - when people started to drink beer out of bottles together with the pizza. What an elegant move. :lol:

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 16, 2016, 7:51 am

now thats odd if you think about it,eating pizza with a knife and fork, ok ... so eating toast with butter and marmalade on for breakfast would be the same, naaaaaa someone eating toast with a knife and fork don't sound right.
my thoughts on eating pizza, knife and fork, pretentious and effeminate :lol: , noodles with chopsticks :? who came up with that idea was smoking crack, mind you i don't think theres anyway of eating noodles without looking like your trying to pukka up to a monkeys butt, theres always one noodle hanging out and you end up with your face in the bowl,or a noodle hanging on your chin
"what have the romans ever done for us" ..... forks :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Little Italian Udon » February 16, 2016, 11:42 am

I always advice my customers to eat pizza with hands, it's easier and can enjoy it much more.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 16, 2016, 12:02 pm

l.italianrestaurant wrote:I always advice my customers to eat pizza with hands, it's easier and can enjoy it much more.
as the man say's ,the correct way to eat pizza
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » February 16, 2016, 1:38 pm

Some really think that all Italian food is Finger-Food :D
Fat-man-eating-spaghetti-with-his-hands-and-drinking-beer.jpg

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 16, 2016, 5:25 pm

Another observation that is a bit off topic. We bought some crunchy Cheetos at VM not long ago. This afternoon I see Mrs. Shadow with a bowl of Cheetos and she is eating them with a pair of chop sticks. Her logic is sound. That keeps the orange colored "Cheetos dust" from getting on her fingers.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 16, 2016, 5:52 pm

I hope, for the sake of the best part of an empty bag of cheetos, she licks the chopsticks clean.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 16, 2016, 6:42 pm

On the subject of Cheetos.....next to Doritos, my favorite heart blocker......Thais offer an 'everything-in-moderation, doctor-approved snack size', whether you're a Lays potato chip fan or a fan of Cheetos. In 16g bags, you'd have to eat a whopping 14 bags to equal a typical half pound bag.......a half pound would be gone in a quarter of a football game. So now, when I'm watching a favorite show on TV or on Netflix, I don't feel so guilty having a meager 16 grams of snack in the evening. You can buy the snack at Makro or Ngeesoon......12 bags for a colossal 48 Baht. Heck you could eat all 12 bags and still come up less than a half pounder.
And yes, Thai Cheetos are finger-lickin' good.
ชีโตส
Attachments
20160216_175339-1.jpg

Return to “Society and culture”