Australian federal politics

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 15, 2015, 11:49 pm

Well, the truth is coming out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-15/b ... n=business

Spending more than the previous govt did, during the GFC and budget surplus just a pie in the sky now.

So much for Abbots arguement of providing economic management etc

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » February 6, 2016, 5:53 am

Does Australia have an opposition leader?

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 6, 2016, 2:54 pm

Tony Abbott? :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 29, 2016, 6:05 am

I had started to feel a bit sorry for George Pell given he's in ill health and the flak he took for not returning to Australia to give evidence before the Royal Commission. But then the bully boy tactics of his Vatican bodyguards helped dissipate that feeling.

Interestingly Pell's pending appearance before the Royal Commission was mentioned on the Radio New Zealand news this morning.

I suppose there were so many kiddie fiddlers among the priests it's inevitable Pell might have been living with some of the rock spiders at some stage. But I don't think he could back then be expected to have had any idea what some of these colleagues were doing. But we need to wait for the evidence.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 29, 2016, 6:16 am

Oh and yes, I know Pell is really there to give evidence on the mismanagement of the seemingly endless subsequent abuses ...

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 2, 2016, 12:25 pm

I see the Aussie leader of the opposition has been having a vigorous go lately:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... with-rudds

This is sadly so deja vu. Australia needs this like a hole in the head or another Ashes loss.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 3, 2016, 12:54 am

Oh my, how Tony Abbott has fallen as he faces an interview with the Aussie federal police about possibly leaking a classified draft of a defence white paper to one of his journalist mates.

Also, why is he talking down Australia's defence forces? He's telling the world that Australia's submarines are fragile at best. Clearly the Tony Abbott show isn't going away.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... n8rns.html

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 13, 2016, 9:30 am

What's happening in Shane Warneland? It seems there's great uncertainty on many fronts:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... ur-worries

Uncertain times. It's the same in the US with Drumpf and the UK with their Brexit debate.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 13, 2016, 9:35 am

And what's happened to one of our top flight Aussie posters, the provocative jack? He's up there with wazza and marjamlew. Presumably taking a self-imposed time out on 9999 posts. Perhaps Abbott toppling Turnbull might be a big enough story to get a post from jack.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 22, 2016, 1:23 am

It looks like the entertainment season is hotting up in Australia. Abbott put his oar in the water indecently quickly.

NZ is about to announce a new Governor General:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11609509

As I was reading the link I was thinking thank Buddha someone such as Trump would never be Governor General under our current system. His judgement would be way too suspect even for such a minor position from a global perspective.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 22, 2016, 12:15 pm

Oh dear. It's chaos again in Oz:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/turnbu ... nnvvv.html

"This election is between Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott. There's another bloke running for prime minister as well – someone named Bill Shorten, I think – but he's not the main game.
If Turnbull wins a double-dissolution election convincingly on July 2, Abbott will have to quit Parliament, like he should have when he lost the top job last September.
But if Abbott remains front and centre during the campaign – through leaks, public appearances and defences of his legacy like he's attempted already – then Turnbull will lose seats and blow a chance to control the Senate."

A NZ Tory radio jock takes the Greens' position on how NZ should appoint a Governor General:

"The Greens say it's time to change the Governor-General appointment process.

They want a more democratic process for appointing New Zealand's Governor-General - an appointment which should be confirmed by a super majority of Parliament. The Greens say that future appointments should rest on 75 per cent support of Parliament."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11609965

It would be such a small step to a republic if we had this process in place for the appointment of a GG. The GG would simply cease to be the Queen's representative and be the head of state herself. The Prime Minister recently said he didn't see NZ becoming a republic in his life time. He's probably right unless Australia makes the dash successfully. The PM is fairly young but not young enough for lilac shorts. Maybe a couple of more decades of the status quo.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 29, 2016, 11:26 am

A camera catches a blatant queue jumper off the east coast of Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... ts-my-wave

:D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 29, 2016, 1:10 pm

GT93 wrote:A camera catches a blatant queue jumper off the east coast of Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... ts-my-wave

:D

GT you have been talking to yourself on this post since February 6, I'l join in........ that article is the biggest crock for a long time. Why do you and anyone else still care about him.
I didn't do history at school as it is boring most of the time, add politics and history and it is sleeping pill time for me...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 29, 2016, 7:43 pm

Hold the FRONT Page !!

Hangers nomination for the Archies this year perhaps
Attachments
Suffer in Ya Jocks.jpg

Gabrielhat

Post by Gabrielhat » April 16, 2016, 12:32 am

From where Im sitting, Australian politics are slightly less confusing but just as hilarious as the stuff thats happening in the States.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 17, 2016, 2:14 pm

I hope you had a good Songkran Barney. I see Abbot has really knifed Bishop big time. He's helped orchestrate the dumping of a real Tory by the wettest of wets:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... o88zx.html

I say good riddance to Bronwyn. She was a shocker whatever her political colours. I guess Abbott in his strange political universe sees her helicopter ride as playing a big part in his downfall. He must be smiling this weekend. He still packs a powerful punch.

She must have been one of the most useless and biased Speakers in the Australian House of Representatives. Abbott was out to lunch putting her there. Oh Allah, she collects an enormous pension.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 8, 2016, 2:24 pm

Well, it's all on in Oz. I assume the respective political spin doctors have been studying Drumpf and how that might play out downunder.

One immigrant Aussie writer opined:

"People, our track record isn’t great. Last election we chose Tony Abbott. The election before that we didn’t choose anyone. And the election before that we chose Kevin Rudd.

It’s time to lift our game."

In my opinion both current principal would be PMs are many thousands of kilometres ahead of both Abbott and Rudd. I take it few tears will be shed for Palmer. The Australian election for the Senate usually holds great interest for followers of politics. I understand there's a special treat this year as all their bums are on the line and the electorate could throw some real weirdos into Canberra.

I recall reading some weeks ago that Jacqui Lambie is expected to get re-elected. She clearly wouldn't be impressed by Drumpf and the small man chat. Let the entertainment begin.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 9, 2016, 4:27 pm

Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » May 9, 2016, 5:38 pm

Aardvark wrote:Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....
Agreed. Dont mess with Super - was meant to provide a stable mechanism for retirement - that is no longer the case it seems.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Well Ardie, the politics south of Canada has been great fun this year. Hopefully your mob can give us some fine moments as well.

Good cop, bad cop - Mr. Harbourside Mansion. Team Tony still seems the best show in town. :D

Return to “Australia”