Americans with Direct Deposits Bangkok Bank

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Americans with Direct Deposits Bangkok Bank

Post by bumper » August 28, 2016, 5:33 pm

Well we told that with social Security they require that. PERS is a completly different thing. Bit it is still required. I asked how we get money in event an illness I never really got an answer. Hopefully it wont come to that But, the probability becomes higher with each passing year.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 28, 2016, 6:12 pm

bumper wrote: I asked how we get money in event an illness I never really got an answer.
If your concerned about it, do this:

.Open a US bank account with on-line access.
.Open a new Bangkok Bank account with on-line access and a ATM card.
.Change your Direct Deposit checks to be deposited into your new US bank account.
.At the beginning of each month log onto your US account and do a bank-to-bank transfer to
Bangkok Bank New York. (They will send it to your Thailand account.- takes a few days) Your money will be available via ATM without having to show your face at the bank.

.Show your wife how to do the monthly transfer so she can take care if it should you become too ill to do it.
UFF DA!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » August 28, 2016, 8:31 pm

If you want to use your ATM card from the U.S. find a bank that will rebate fees. My bank, Chase, allows up to 4 free ATM withdrawals per month. The ATM here charges it and the bank reimburses it.

A search of Google showed several banks that offer this service, most without huge minimal deposits,

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 29, 2016, 3:38 pm

Jello wrote:
bumper wrote: I asked how we get money in event an illness I never really got an answer.

.Change your Direct Deposit checks to be deposited into your new US bank account.
.At the beginning of each month log onto your US account and do a bank-to-bank transfer to
Bangkok Bank New York. (They will send it to your Thailand account.- takes a few days) Your money will be available via ATM without having to show your face at the bank.

.Show your wife how to do the monthly transfer so she can take care if it should you become too ill to do it.
That sounds like a good idea
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 29, 2016, 8:49 pm

bumper wrote:
Jello wrote:

That sounds like a good idea
Problem here is that a US bank account cannot be opened except by face to face interview back in the US. Then, not all banks have transfer capability from their online site. Because of money laundering and some people funding terrorism through the money transfer channels, many banks have implemented plenty of hoops through which one has to jump to get a transfer done from a US bank to a foreign bank.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 29, 2016, 9:15 pm

semperfiguy wrote:Problem here is that a US bank account cannot be opened except by face to face interview back in the US. Then, not all banks have transfer capability from their online site. Because of money laundering and some people funding terrorism through the money transfer channels, many banks have implemented plenty of hoops through which one has to jump to get a transfer done from a US bank to a foreign bank.
I think you can join Pentagon Federal Credit Union online https://www.penfed.org/About-PenFed/ Click join

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 29, 2016, 9:22 pm

semperfiguy wrote:Problem here is that a US bank account cannot be opened except by face to face interview back in the US. Then, not all banks have transfer capability from their online site. Because of money laundering and some people funding terrorism through the money transfer channels, many banks have implemented plenty of hoops through which one has to jump to get a transfer done from a US bank to a foreign bank.
I've opened two accounts online from here. Capital One and Schwab.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 29, 2016, 9:26 pm

Lone Star wrote:
Lone Star, I'm guessing that was awhile back before they changed all the rules. I hope I'm wrong about that, but can you tell me how recent that was?

The Pentagon Federal website will not give my computer access since it recognizes an IP address from Thailand.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 29, 2016, 9:36 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
Lone Star wrote:
Lone Star, I'm guessing that was awhile back before they changed all the rules. I hope I'm wrong about that, but can you tell me how recent that was?

The Pentagon Federal website will not give my computer access since it recognizes an IP address from Thailand.
The Capital One account was opened in the last 2 months. The Schwab account was within the last six or seven years. I'm not sure what "rules" you're talking about that changed things. I haven't had any issues with anything, and I do business with at least five or six different financial institutions in the US.

On accounts where there are international blocks, I have been able to call those financial institutions and get through after they reset things on their end to allow it. They were happy to do it.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 29, 2016, 9:40 pm

Lone Star wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:
Lone Star wrote:

The Capital One account was opened in the last 2 months. The Schwab account was within the last six or seven years. I'm not sure what "rules" you're talking about that changed things. I haven't had any issues with anything, and I do business with at least five or six different financial institutions in the US.

On accounts where there are international blocks, I have been able to call those financial institutions and get through after they reset things on their end to allow it. They were happy to do it.
Thanks for the suggestions Lone Star. I'll give it a shot!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 2, 2016, 11:10 pm

Hey semperfiguy,
Did you have any luck opening those accounts? I tried both Schwab and CapOne about two years ago.
Schwab initially opened an account but then notified me that I needed to come into a branch to finalize it.
I'd still like to have an account with them. Just need to wait till my next visit home.

CapOne was no problem. Of course I used my US address when opening the account. I assumed it would be disapproved if you listed your home address as Thailand, but I could be wrong.

Anyone have a US bank account with your home address listed as Thailand?
UFF DA!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 3, 2016, 1:07 pm

Jello wrote:Hey semperfiguy,
Did you have any luck opening those accounts? I tried both Schwab and CapOne about two years ago.
Schwab initially opened an account but then notified me that I needed to come into a branch to finalize it.
I'd still like to have an account with them. Just need to wait till my next visit home.

CapOne was no problem. Of course I used my US address when opening the account. I assumed it would be disapproved if you listed your home address as Thailand, but I could be wrong.

Anyone have a US bank account with your home address listed as Thailand?
Jello, I haven't tried that hard as yet although I did read all the info on the Capital One 360 Savings account. From what I understand I can link their online account with my other US bank and have money transferred to the Cap One account. Then, what I'd like to be able to accomplish is an online wire-transfer to my Thailand bank linked account, but just by reading all the information provided, I can't tell if that is possible. Have you figured any of that out yet?

My problem is that I have my money in a US Federal Credit Union in Tennessee and they don't offer online capability to transfer money to my Thai bank. I have to call the bank, then send them an email with photo of Passport and TN Driver's license, then they have to call me back to confirm and finally they will send me an encrypted copy of my request asking several key questions from my past before I can even get into the form that must be confirmed. They have really set up some strict security in recent years due to money laundering and funding to terrorists.

And, according to the requirements, one must list a physical address in the US to open the account. It appears that one can write a check on any US bank and make a snapshot of the check and send it by the Capital One online app and fund the new account after a 5 day hold. That sounds pretty efficient!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 3, 2016, 5:07 pm

I've never tried doing a wire transfer from CapOne, although the fee is lower than other banks.

After I opened the CapOne account I set up a bank-to-bank transfer link to Bangkok Bank New York. (Info on BKB's website on how to set it up). All done on-line and not too difficult. New York BKB then sends the transfer to my BKB account here in Thailand. Takes a few days and get a fair exchange rate. No fee's.

So now each month its just a matter of log onto CapOne, click bank-to-bank transfer, type in the amount and the money is in my BKB account 3-6 days later.

Works good for me. I think you may get a better exchange rate on wire transfers, but the fee cancels out any saving unless your transferring a very large amount.
UFF DA!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 5, 2016, 7:52 pm

I did have problems after I moved here. Since I DO live here, I refused to use a US address. I have been using Citibank in California for about 20 years. When I changed my address to Thailand, they immediately cancelled my Visa credit card even though I had a fairly large amount of money in the checking/savings accounts. ($20,000 plus). They told me I had to live in the US to have a credit card. Government regulations. That is BS. Bank of America changed my address to Thailand and had no problem with me keeping my BoA Visa card. I have no love for Citibank but after a couple of years searching for another bank, I gave up. I could not find another bank that would allow me to make wire transfers online without jumping through a lot of hoops. I can order a wire transfer today and have the money in my SCB account tomorrow.

I have found that US banks have absolutely no consideration for expats. Some years ago, I used my Citibank ATM card here. No charge. It then went to 1 percent and is now 3 percent plus the Thai bank charge. I no longer use my Citibank ATM card here. A wire transfer used to be a flat $30 regardless of the amount. Now they have added an intermediary bank charge of $15. Of course the intermediary bank is Citibank so now it is $45. I make large wire transfers only once or twice a year. I pay my BoA credit card with the Citibank bill pay option, that service is still free. At one time I did contact Bangkok Bank in New York. I must have asked the wrong questions because they told me they don't do individual bank accounts. My pensions are direct deposited in Citibank.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 5, 2016, 8:30 pm

Does anyone out there have a Capital One bank account in the US with online access wherein they can order a transfer of funds online, without having to speak with a live person, and have the money wired through Bangkok Bank in New York directly to their Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand? If someone can confirm that is possible, then I will be a happy camper!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 5, 2016, 8:49 pm

glalt wrote:At one time I did contact Bangkok Bank in New York. I must have asked the wrong questions because they told me they don't do individual bank accounts. My pensions are direct deposited in Citibank.
I think that's where a lot of people get confused. You don't need to open an account at the BKB New York branch, you just need to have a BKB account here in Thailand. Then do a bank to bank transfer (done on-line, just like your Bill Payer option) from your US bank to BKB NY who then transfer it to your Thailand account.
Holders of US bank accounts can save on fees for international funds transfers by transferring funds from the United States to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your US transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services.
http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... omUSA.aspx
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 5, 2016, 9:47 pm

semperfiguy wrote:Does anyone out there have a Capital One bank account in the US with online access wherein they can order a transfer of funds online, without having to speak with a live person, and have the money wired through Bangkok Bank in New York directly to their Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand? If someone can confirm that is possible, then I will be a happy camper!
Yes, as I wrote in my previous post. Maybe it was confusing saying I haven't done a wire transfer. I do ACH transfers, 2 different things, different procedure, but same result, transferring money.

No I don't need to call the bank. Everything's done on-line.
Jello wrote:I've never tried doing a wire transfer from CapOne, although the fee is lower than other banks.

After I opened the CapOne account I set up a bank-to-bank transfer link to Bangkok Bank New York. (Info on BKB's website on how to set it up). All done on-line and not too difficult. New York BKB then sends the transfer to my BKB account here in Thailand. Takes a few days and get a fair exchange rate. No fee's.

So now each month its just a matter of log onto CapOne, click bank-to-bank transfer, type in the amount and the money is in my BKB account 3-6 days later.

Works good for me. I think you may get a better exchange rate on wire transfers, but the fee cancels out any saving unless your transferring a very large amount.
UFF DA!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 5, 2016, 9:51 pm

Jello wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:Does anyone out there have a Capital One bank account in the US with online access wherein they can order a transfer of funds online, without having to speak with a live person, and have the money wired through Bangkok Bank in New York directly to their Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand? If someone can confirm that is possible, then I will be a happy camper!
Yes, as I wrote in my previous post. Maybe it was confusing saying I haven't done a wire transfer. I do ACH transfers, 2 different things, different procedure, but same result, transferring money.

No I don't need to call the bank. Everything's done on-line.
Jello wrote:I've never tried doing a wire transfer from CapOne, although the fee is lower than other banks.

Thanks a million Jello!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 5, 2016, 10:09 pm

No problem.

BTW, I wrote in that post "no fee" which isn't true. They don't list the fee (as far as I know) but when the money shows up in my BKB account the exchange rate works out to be somewhere between 0.1 to 0.4 baht less that their posted exchange rate for the day.
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » September 5, 2016, 10:55 pm

Jello wrote: They don't list the fee.
Found it, bottom of this webpage: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/ ... omUSA.aspx
UFF DA!

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”