What makes Thailand the greatest country in the world

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
georgioGastapo
udonmap.com

What makes Thailand the greatest country in the world

Post by georgioGastapo » September 23, 2016, 10:16 am

by world popular opinion supported by Mastercard data:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 95923.html
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/busines ... 95964.html

not just by deluded propaganda as with other places :mrgreen:

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: What makes Thailand the greatest country in the world

Post by the-monk » September 23, 2016, 10:25 am

BANGKOK NO 1 ..... no way ...
check this << Indeed, overall visitor numbers to Paris for 2015 were 45 million, nearly unchanged from the previous year, although American and Chinese visitors remained very supportive of the city. >>
Source :: http://www.travelmarketreport.com/artic ... er-Attacks
P.S. I am not French.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » September 23, 2016, 11:36 am

Playing tourist and living is 2 different things. OP here referring to a holiday.

An intelligent person would realize, no country can claim 'greatest'.......as it's all a bit relative.

One gauge on the illusion of great, would be the lines outside the embassy, of people applying to go there. In which case, in Asia, may well be the USA embassy, if Krung Thep is any indication of the Asians wanting to live elsewhere.

For the eastern EU blocks, and middle east, N. African nations, seems trying to get to the UK, Germany and France is high on the list. Though maybe not because of 'greatest', but easiest to get there, with the greatest amount of bennies / free living if making it there. If the forum and entertainment news is anything to go by.

Actually, for myself, since not wanting or needing, at the time of picking a retirement place / country, my criteria was much different than someone else looking to emigrate.

A crappy economy, with crap schools, and employment opportunities BUT and almost stable gov't, OK weather. The first three, economy, schools, earning opportunities, would dictate the other things I was looking for, inexpensive housing and daily cost of living. So Thailand was a good choice. The woman, simply icing on the cake.

The same criteria would be used in the USA, IF was simply moving from one place to a better place to retire, but nothing over there perked my interest enough, and after 45 years, quite bored with the place. looked afar.

If working w/family, this would be one of the last places I would choose.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » September 23, 2016, 11:51 am

As a tourist, a Yank.....neither London nor Bangkok, would be on my short list of place to go to. Actually wouldn't make the long list either. Bangkok, too far away, London, way too expensive, and absolutely nothing there that would interest me.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » September 23, 2016, 12:19 pm

London gets more refugees and illegal immigrants in a year than Bangkok gets tourists.tom,dick or harry can get into Bangkok.if the uk opened their immigration up to the world London would probably sink.

georgioGastapo
udonmap.com

Post by georgioGastapo » September 23, 2016, 12:22 pm

here have some of these it will make you feel better

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 6, 2017, 12:55 pm

Thailand is a great country but I don't want to live there all year round.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 8, 2017, 12:21 am

I prefer the icing from the cake, but without the cake!! :razz:

Wherever one lives or goes, it's a trade-off, between the good points and the bad points.

I hate bureaucracy and corruption. The former seems to be everywhere now, if not the latter.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 8, 2017, 1:04 pm

Being a handsome man makes Thailand the greatest country in the world for me. :oops: :-P

Some of you fellas might be similarly blessed.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 8, 2017, 1:56 pm

12345 wrote:
September 23, 2016, 11:51 am
As a tourist, a Yank.....neither London nor Bangkok, would be on my short list of place to go to. Actually wouldn't make the long list either. Bangkok, too far away, London, way too expensive, and absolutely nothing there that would interest me.

Just out of Interest, what does a major city needs to have to be of interest to you 12345?

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » November 8, 2017, 2:45 pm

Damn good question.

I can tell what doesn’t interest me first, Brit food, I find boring, most of the offerings here, or what I experience in Philly. The weather, cold and wet, and why most of y’all enjoy here.

London, and UK tourist attraction seem to revolve a bit around the Royal, elite, and history of, which I really have no desire, or respect for. London being a huge, expensive, English speaking city, again, not interesting, as can and have visited too many already. Same same, not very different, and wouldn’t travel for.
I prefer travelling for something different. Probably why Thailand and Asian culture was interesting and probably how I ended up here.

Islands and scuba tick off some of my interests, and why I visited the Caribbean and Mexico quite often, and love the diversity of the food and people. And close, a few hours, along with inexpensive, when I visited anyway.

Again, lovely weather. My EU experiences have only been Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Sweden. And quite enjoyed them. If returning, Prague and the E. Bloc countries seem to peak my interest. Along with a few Russian cities.

Diverse, something new and unique, hopefully, and non English speaking. A major plus, as I travel to experience something new.

If I want diversity with English speaking, I’d just go to the USA, since quite a few things to see I haven’t yet. Huge and diverse country.

I like going out and about, and discovering smaller quaint towns, seaside or mountain villages a plus.
Actually love Krung Thep as a large city, but wouldn’t travel 5 or 10k kms miles to visit. A short drive up the road works though.

Happy to arrive, and happy to leave. The congestion can be stifling, and main reason I couldn’t wait to leave Udon.

Now live in a small seaside town of 20k people, and loving it.

London wouldn't interest me at all. Maybe a museum or 2, or a canal boat holiday, but really can't think of anything else I'd travel there for, and way down any list of interest. A pit stop a best, UK that is, and certainly not London.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 9, 2017, 1:15 am

12345 wrote:Now live in a small seaside town of 20k people, and loving it.
12345, I would be interested to know where you now live, if its a small seaside town.

I like small seaside towns. I also like to wander about, stop for a coffee or a beer, chat to the natives, in their language if possible. I don't like heavy traffic or people congestion. Though that said, I don't mind the odd trip to Bangkok, where I can explore small soi's, coffee shops etc.

I used to live in Phuket, but eventually found it too commercial, too busy in high season and too exploitative, though very scenic.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 9, 2017, 8:06 pm

GT93 wrote:
November 6, 2017, 12:55 pm
Thailand is a great country but I don't want to live there all year round.
Pretty much my take on it as well. I have had a quieter year work-wise and the extra time here, although mostly good, has taken its toll and events and situations have "done my head in" sometimes. Usually I have at least 3, long-ish, work-related trips outside LOS each year which makes me appreciate the things I like here and gives me relief from the things that p!ss me off. This is the first year I have ever needed to do 90-day reports and although relatively unchallenging in itself, I detest time-wasting bureaucratic procedures. Having said that, Thailand isn't near as bad as Brazil when it comes to pedantic, paper-shuffling, government desk jockeys... but the girls bums tend to be bigger and better over there. Roundabouts... swings...

Unfortunately, the current work gig is in Thailand and has reminded me of how really crap it is to work here. This will be my 6th job in LOS and it hasn't gotten any better IMHO so very likely to be my last.

...unless they take 'soap boy in maternity ward' off the "endangered jobs for Thai's only" list.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 10, 2017, 9:09 am

it is all relative indeed , all depending your needs and will to adapt to other things...., i ask myself many times why some falang even want to come live here if it must be a reflection of their home country, complaining many things , food to spicy , falang food not really available, crazy traffic,corruption,enc....so this will be different for everyone , to me it is great to stay here , i must make this year an obligatory trip to my home country , the land where everything has become an obligation , where everything must be done a particular way robbing you every day more and more of your personal freedom ,(what we still do have in los ....)and i am not looking forward to it , if i could i would send someone else :( ...
my wife also does not want to go ,lucky for me it will be my last trip ...probably only will stay 5 days .... ;)

maxeboy
udonmap.com

Post by maxeboy » November 10, 2017, 9:16 am

I wonder where You come from!
Being Danish I think no other country is worse than Denmark. :mrgreen:

Kind regards from

maxeboy
GreatDane born free taxed into slavery

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

Why I live in Thailand? High on the list is my hatred of cold weather. The only place I ever want to see ice again is in my glass. Also important is that the cost of living is lower than most other countries. Another is I am not taxed to death here. Thailand also has many very scenic areas. Finally Thailand is the Land of Smiles. Contrary to what some say, they are not phony smiles. Yes, there are warts but they are far outweighed by the positive things.

Unlike some people, no way would I live somewhere that I despise. If you came here with a pocket full of money and have blown it all, that is your fault. It's not only Thailand where scams are common.You don't have to be wealthy to enjoy life here but you do have to look out for number one because no one else is going to look after you.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 11, 2017, 2:09 am

There do seem to be a surprisingly high number of people who despise or dislike Thailand but still live there. I'd go even more bananas if I was living in those circumstances.

I reckon the Thais are great fun. They're nearly as much fun as our number 1 Everton fan's entertaining posts on the Toffees.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 12, 2017, 6:41 pm

as for all the folks living here that spew on about various disliked things in Thailand.. Well, I'd wager if they were living in their home country they'd equally find things to moan and groan about.. Remember, the troops ain't happy unless they're bitchin'..
Dave

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 12, 2017, 11:48 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
November 12, 2017, 6:41 pm
as for all the folks living here that spew on about various disliked things in Thailand.. Well, I'd wager if they were living in their home country they'd equally find things to moan and groan about.. Remember, the troops ain't happy unless they're bitchin'..
...Or "the grass is greener on the other side".

Yes, it's human nature.

I admit I get frustrated about things when I'm in Thailand and about other things when back in the UK. :roll:

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » January 17, 2018, 4:50 pm

Smiles and the NEVER mind Attitudes<>which translate into we don't really give a DAM "let it Be"

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”