Ruy Suk Mansion

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
VicVegas
udonmap.com

Ruy Suk Mansion

Post by VicVegas » January 21, 2007, 7:17 pm

Just returned to Udon from a trip to Cambodia and decided to try out this new hotel. Sorry I don't know the name of the street, but it's located on the road leading from downtown to Nong Sim, the one just past The Downunder Bar. As you head towards Nong Sim, Ruaysook is on the left, just past 7-11 and the big karoke place.

Anyway, the pluses:

-Brand spanking new.
-Big rooms
-Good AC
-New TVs with local cable (no UBC :cry: )
-Internet access on premises (I can use my Wifi from my second floor room).
-Currently very affordable at 320 baht per night, though that's an introductory special and will likely go up.
-Also have 3,200 baht monthly rate, again an intro special.
-Off street parking
-Safe at reception for valuables
-Young Thai manager speaks very good English
-And, of course, it's a short walk to a few "local entertainment venues" :wink:

The minuses:

-Walls are a bit thin and with tile floors you get some noise from the hallways (as in the "clip clop" of high heels :shock: ). Also noise from busy street.
-Cheap rates seem to attract young, loud partiers.
-The in-room frig is small
-Hot water usually lukewarm at best
-Tuk tuk ride to center of town (or a long walk, which is what we do during the day)

Me and my TGF are staying for a week and then deciding if we want to try it for a month or look elsewhere. I'll keep you posted. :)

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » January 21, 2007, 7:34 pm

Please do. I saw that one from the outside and wondered what it was like inside. Besides the wi-fi, do they have wired internet connection in the rooms? I am living not so far from there now but who knows what the future may bring?
Thanks for sharing the info.

VicVegas
udonmap.com

Post by VicVegas » January 22, 2007, 1:08 pm

Muscle they have a computer in the lobby which guests can use and the manager, Joe, told me they plan on having sort of an internet cafe set up in the restaurant area, which should open in the coming months. Don't know if he plans on wiring the rooms for internet?

Another plus I forgot to mention - our big bed is very comfortable. After sleeping on a number of hard beds in various hotels and GHs around Thailand, I can tell you that's a welcome change. =D>

On the downside, I could hear the guy in the next room snoring for awhile last night. #-o

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 22, 2007, 1:24 pm

sounds like top mansion, but with comfy bed, hmm, next time maybe. i'll try not to snore too loud.

tomcat57
udonmap.com

Post by tomcat57 » January 23, 2007, 1:45 pm

it's a great short time hotel... not far from all the action :)

VicVegas
udonmap.com

Post by VicVegas » January 26, 2007, 12:50 am

Just a little update:

They've now changed the sign to say, "Ruy Suk Hotel", in case anyone comes looking for it. Address is 249/1 Adunyadet Rd, the phone number is 081-0547267 or 081-9654345, and their email address is "[email protected].

Joe said he has no plans to run internet cables to the rooms, but there's no charge to use the computer in the lobby.

The restaurant is now open, though I haven't tried it yet.

Edited to add this pic

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 26, 2007, 9:38 am

Looks a bit like student apartments !!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 12, 2007, 7:25 pm

Ruy Suk Mansion are now a sponsor of udonmap.com. They have their own webpage and online booking form here: http://www.udonmap.com/ruysuk

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 25, 2007, 2:27 pm

staying here now, on their computer for free internet, nice touch and seems to be available, i seem to be the only one hogging it. agree with all comments above, nice inexpensive place, not centrally located but a short, very short tuk tuk or stroll to everywhere. was at the Arena last night for some beers, a little later than planned, and ended up walking back to hotel as tuk tuk availability was nil, checked this morning on motorbike, 2.4 kms, seemed longer as it was past midnight. easy stroll and felt safe the whole time, less than an hour at a very slow pace. while at it, it figured i'd measure a few more spots. about 100 meters to closest farang superstore (7-11). mere 1/2 km to Down Under Bar, just shy of 1 km to shopping mall/central everything. nong prajack park in the other direction, a mere 1 km.

rooms are clean, safe, water pressure good and hot, beds comfy enough, bye bye top mansion's hard bed. have motorbikes to rent, 200 per day for 3 or more days (250 day), so 320 for room, 200 for transportation and you have place and transportation, hard to beat. tuk tuk ride to arena was 40 baht, at 8:30 pm, so hard to haggle. one guy started at 60 and came to 40, but chose another as 1st had started his festivities for the night. propietor is very accomodating and customer oriented, very good english.

highly recommend it as an inexpensive place to stay. baht busses available during day, have on premise restaurant, didn't try, but not much in the local area for food. couple rice/soup shops, marginal health standard for those. returning late at night from central area shouldn't be the problem i had from arena, as tuk tuk are everywhere downtown if not wanting to rent motorbike. or simply return a bit earlier and should be available from everywhere.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » March 25, 2007, 3:23 pm

Thanks for the great review LA. One more thing to add is that Nong Sim lake in under 500 meters away if you fancy a stroll, or excellent food at the Thai Orchid on the far side of the lake.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » March 25, 2007, 11:43 pm

tomcat57 wrote:it's a great short time hotel... not far from all the action :)
by 'all the action' are you referring to the 2 or 3 dirty and crappy little shacks where the Laos girls can be found imprisoned (around soi 2 & 3)? I can't imagine where else you are talking about.

If that's your idea of action then you need to get out more.

violatedm3
udonmap.com

Post by violatedm3 » March 26, 2007, 6:24 am

What is the best way to get to this hotel to the from the airport?

violatedm3
udonmap.com

Post by violatedm3 » March 26, 2007, 6:33 am

I tried to email the hotel using the one listed on the website its no good non-deliverable

oldfield

Post by oldfield » March 26, 2007, 11:36 am

For 60 Baht you could get the 'limousine' service, which stops at a couple of places before taking you there. Available at the airport. (it's actually a mini-van, but they call it a limousine service???? Anyway, it's cheap, and you get a bit of a tour of udon on the way.

Or you could get a 'taxi' for 200 Baht from the airport.

violatedm3
udonmap.com

Post by violatedm3 » March 26, 2007, 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info I will take the limo, nothing like going on a free tour of the city for 60 baht :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 7, 2007, 3:55 pm

Yes. Ruy Suk Mansion really does appear to be another Top Mansion, however with soft beds at a lower rate.

Their web site states that "We provide car services for pick up and drop off at any place you wish." I would hope that means they have a hotel minibus that will take guests anywhere within Ring Road for a slight fee.

It also says they offer a choice of regular or delux rooms. Anyone had a look at a delux room? Likely it is a double sized room similar to Top Mansion's.

Although I can afford other hotels, there is a feeling of satisfaction in finding a bargain hotel that is comfortable. I am tempted to give Ruy Suk Mansion a try.

Thanks to all who have provided good information about this hotel.

kakariki
udonmap.com

re contact

Post by kakariki » August 8, 2007, 9:51 am

Hi All
I sent an email the same as someone else and didn't recieve a reply, I would like to stay there but don't know if I'm confirmed or any details about airport pickup and bike rental. I don't wan't to get stuck.
Does anyone know why they don't reply.
thanks barry

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 8, 2007, 10:45 am

About 6 weeks ago, when I was in Udon Thani, I stoped by Ruy Suk Mansion, looked at a room and had a few beers in the open-air lobby with the manager and a couple of guests.

The rooms were as advertised and a good value. My two drinking mates, an Aussie and a Finn, had been there for a couple of months and advised that they were quite comfortable with their accomodations. The manager mentioned that he was having good occupancy and expected the hotel to grow in popularity.

The oft-mentioned Jason had made a deal with the manager and was going to put in a pool table and liven the bar scene. Don't remember exactly what that involved.

Heard that Top Mansion hotel has a large clientel of falangs. It is at the center of the Irish Clock to The City Lodge collection of falang hotels and bars.

A couple of new falang-managed bar/restaurants (Down Under Bar and California Caf้) have opened close to Ruy Suk making it just off the edge of the falang-populated bars and eatery scene.

I believe Ruy Suk will be a very popular hotel with westerners.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Re: re contact

Post by Irish Alan » August 8, 2007, 7:14 pm

kakariki wrote:Hi All
I sent an email the same as someone else and didn't recieve a reply, I would like to stay there but don't know if I'm confirmed or any details about airport pickup and bike rental. I don't wan't to get stuck.
Does anyone know why they don't reply.
thanks barry
I find this a common problem with a lot of Thai businesses. Unless it is a site like hotelthailand.com with an up to date online booking service (possibly operated outside Thailand) I would not expect a reply. The hotels set up a website but don't always have the staff to answer online queries/emails. Case in point, the Thai dept of foreign affairs has a great website with online enquiry service that is even broken up according to your part of the world, Europe, Asia, Australasia etc. I sent them an enquiry about 3 years ago and I'm still waiting on the reply.

Freedom Fried
udonmap.com

Post by Freedom Fried » August 8, 2007, 7:22 pm

I believe Ruy Suk will be a very popular hotel with westerners.
I know the owners personally and have stayed there often. Whenever mates visit me I send them to RuySuk Mansion.

Top vibe, unlike Top Mansion. Just a cool, relaxed, brilliantly located guest house (with the emphasis on guest: you're one of the family at RuySuk Mansion not just some other falang).

Joe and Bo speak excellent English and will bend over backwards, metaphorically speaking, to make your stay as memorable as possible.

Nothing is too much touble for them. Now there's a welcome change.

And if you like Thai food, Thanon Adunyadet (where RSM is located) is simlpy teaming with wonderful mom 'n pop Thai eateries.

10 out of 10 to RuySuk Mansion.

Top Mansion have got some serious competition.

FF :D

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”