Dog....what should I get?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » November 18, 2006, 8:48 pm

A doberman pup, they are most affectionate and protective not to mention the psychological they have on people. Years ago I had a part time job collecting bad checks in south central LA (Watts). My girlfriend had a red dobie male that was scarred from having been accidentally drug behind her exs car. He was really sweet but people at their door looking at him sitting in the front seat of my car with the window open were most impressed.

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » November 19, 2006, 5:29 am

The red Doberman dogs are fine looking. My parent's neighbor rescued one that was blind at birth (the owners were just taking it to the vet to be euthanized since it couldn't be sold) -- his hearing was so hypersensitive that he made the best protective dog in the neighborhood -- barked and growled at any sound he didn't recognize, but could tell recognize the sound of his owner's car and my parent's car.

My experience with Dobermans also has been very favorable regarding children. They are quite gentle with the little ones.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » November 19, 2006, 4:57 pm

To cut or not cut, My hines 57 is a agressive little character well maybe not so little 50 Lbs. He is about as hard headed as they come, but a firm han mine not the wife can control that. He wanted to stray, but repairs to the fence stopped that. He is very loveable with us. Most times with other people as well, but sometimes not. Enough so that most people think twice before entering the yard. Would he bite maybe I don't know, never have let it go that far.

A simple and a lot less costly answer would have been the cut, but it would change his personality. I like the dog like he is, even if he and I have to fight once in awhile. I established control over him when he was little so it really doesn;t take much now. I tried to get the wife to do the same thing she didn't listen and he will challenge her from time to time. But still has never bitten just growls and that is enough to stop her. He knows it, I said he was hard headed not stupid.

So if you can trian the dog when he is little, lots of love and no means no, sit up a secure complex early on for him, you probably won't have to many problems.

The second cut yes WORRY !!!!!!!! :shock:

valentine

Post by valentine » November 25, 2006, 9:55 am

To those that have been following this topic, they will know my choice was a 50%/50%. Dad pure doberman, mother soi dog. he is now 9 months old, recently discovered the joys of sex, so tries everything to get out and at IT.Time for a visit to the vet with the sharp scissors.He is an excellent house guard, barks at any strangers but lets known persons in with a waggy tail. His appearance can be ferocious and as he is getting quite big, is a good deterrent. Those big ears can hear a pin drop so nothing is going to get by him.Image

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 25, 2006, 11:12 am

:) I was wondering how secure anyone feels with a guard dog in their yard.I have a friend that lives in a village down in Burriram that has had many dogs poisoned.He finally stopped buying outside dogs,put some pressure plate security pads around his house and bought a small house dog.
He told me that his little house dog yapps when someone is in his yard and his triggered lighting system has scared off intruders several times with his seeing them scramble out of the yard twice.
The last time I talked to him was 3 years ago and he told me that he hadn't had any problems for over 1 year as compared to having 4 dogs poisoned and several attempted breakins with some ''yard item thefts'' in the prior 3 years!
It should be mentioned that he was not well liked by the locals as he did not allow any of them to participate in the building of his house over the 5 years it took him to complete it!Except for some dodgy marble,he got the house built exactly the way he wanted,but made enemies around him including the wifes kin!
So,I never thought of a outside dog for security although I could see it scaring off individuals that might consider some impromptu stealing.

Our little Shih Tzu doesn't even bite!I don't know if it is a trait inherent to Shih Tzu's or not.I know she doesn't even chew her food.I was thinking that because we play so much with her,that she didn't want to hurt us early on ,now never bites at all,clamps down but never breaks skin.I like that now because I would hate to have a dog bite someone that was not a bad guy!

She is very lovable,but needs a lot of grooming care to prevent molding sores.We keep her hair cut relatively short compared to most Shih Tzus and she is showered ,blown dry and combed out every 2 days by the wife.Image
It is like having a baby and places limits on some of our activities,but she has added many other good ''stuff'' to our life!But not a dog to get if you are not willing to give it the attention needed for good care!

kbvegas
udonmap.com

Post by kbvegas » March 29, 2007, 1:01 am

I will have American Pitbull Terrier puppies available shortly both my male and female are great guard dogs the male is about 70 lbs and the female is about 45 lbs good temperment but not with srangers if your not around

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » March 29, 2007, 3:09 am

kbvegas, those are beautiful pit bulls!

We have a white American pit bull terrier male, neutered, 69 lbs, very calm now that he is 7 years old. They definitely aren't friendly when they are protecting their own turf and no one is around to let them know who is OK and who is not!

One thing I'd recommend for anyone who gets a pit bull -- train them from puppyhood NOT to even play with the mouth. Their jaws are so powerful, it doesn't take much for them to hurt. Ours is never allowed to place his mouth on a human hand, fingers, etc. -- we play with huge rubber rings that let him tug-a-war.

If barking is what is desired, however, I'd recommend one of the yappy little kind -- our schnauzer is a terror.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”