The Brick House.

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
thighlander
udonmap.com

Re: The Brick House.

Post by thighlander » March 25, 2018, 7:49 pm

So I got cursed at for giving a G rated assessment of the place. I havent had an Archa in ten years+, probably better than Cheers, but both would be better than any beer out of a cooler set on 7 C. My experience in Udon is limited; my experience in Thailand and my Business School diploma are not. Seen places come in and not really encourage drinking, but offer more of a family kind of thing all too often. They mostly fail miserably. Are singles going to go in there? Are groups of Thais? Are backpackers? Pensioners looking for cheap drink and love? Perhaps, there is a special menu for the growing number of roidheads seen in the tourist areas. So that leaves more well to do expats that live here, and aren't loyal to their regular places. THe food in the pictures is mostly imported, and most of it can be bought at Tops (at an already high price) and prepared by an unskilled cook. I wish them luck, but would rather see a handful of places that rock, than countless bars with the owner as the only customer. Promo girls, food specials, drink specials, free lance girls....can find all of that within 50 m of the place....Once a place is sparsely visited; it just kind of starts to die. I would rather eat streetfood any day, than eat at a restaurant with no customers and a refrigerator.
Last edited by thighlander on March 25, 2018, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 25, 2018, 7:53 pm

thighlander wrote:
March 25, 2018, 7:49 pm
So I got cursed at for giving a G rated assessment of the place. I havent had an Archa in ten years+, probably better than Cheers, but both would be better than any beer out of a cooler set on 7 C. My experience in Udon is limited; my experience in Thailand and my Business School diploma are not. Seen places come in and not really encourage drinking, but offer more of a family kind of thing all too often. They mostly fail miserably. Are singles going to go in there? Are groups of Thais? Are backpackers? Pensioners looking for cheap drink and love? Perhaps, there is a special menu for the growing number of roidheads seen in the tourist areas. So that leaves more well to do expats that live here, and aren't loyal to their regular places. THe food in the pictures is mostly imported, and most of it cant be bought at Tops (at an already high price) and prepared by an unskilled cook. I wish them luck, but would rather see a handful of places that rock, than countless bars with the owner as the only customer. Promo girls, food specials, drink specials, free lance girls....can find all of that within 50 m of the place....Once a place is sparsely visited; it just kind of starts to die. I would rather eat streetfood any day, than eat at a restaurant with no customers and a refrigerator.

Well on that note let me know where and when your establishment is open for business and I will compare the two, until then shut the f up.

Big boss
udonmap.com

Post by Big boss » March 25, 2018, 8:49 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 25, 2018, 7:19 pm
Doodoo wrote:
March 25, 2018, 6:52 pm
Fat Bob
Struck a nerve did they???
To many lazy pricks that only now how to complain but wont have a go on there own.... same everywhere I guess but a bloke is having a go and the ******* are out because there Archer beer is 10 baht more expensive....
Fatbob
Right in his words of wisdom give the New owner of
Brick house a chance...
It seems he just opened the 'DADS ARMY 'been around
And now it's time to pick faults ... UDON THANI never
Change ...
There are some really nice people there good locals
Too .
But there are also them who tell you how to run your
Bar and not have a pot to piss in but also leave your
Bar after they successfully give you there bar restaurant
Mangement skills ....
People who stand other side of counter then go to save 5/10 baht on bar and that's there choice .
I personally if you don't like the place this man trying his
Best to give his best shot at in Udon Thani go back
Where your happy and let him make customer who wish
To go there .....
Anyway new owner of Brick house WELL DONE and
Goodluck with your Business and thumbs up for fatbob

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » March 25, 2018, 8:51 pm

So only restaurant owners can give reviews? Never seen that on TripAdvisor. Wouldn't be very credible to review one's competition. I bought stock in Philip Morris, Kraft, and Mondolez last week. Am I suppose to be respected for having "a go at it"? Does my large investment make me immune from critique, skepticism, or a common sense assessment? Should I curse at people who smoke L&M, instead of Marlboro, or eat pig guts instead of candy bars? Hey, look at me, I'm a big investor, I flew business class (snuck in once), and pay double for my nasty beer...don't mess with me! Everything I touch is golden (if not golden brown), and I am the best friend of every barowner I pay stupid prices to...whoo-hoo.
Last edited by thighlander on March 25, 2018, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 25, 2018, 9:00 pm

sorry is it " fatknob " or " fatbob " not quite sure ... i dont know you but you seem like a big mouth ***** to me ... but thats just me , i dont care about your " annoying day " all i asked about was do they sell ARCHA as some of the more expencive bars dont stock it ... i dont need tossers telling me to " go eff myself " as udonmap dont seem to mind how you talk , best fight fire with fire ....

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » March 25, 2018, 10:28 pm

I filmed this thread, here's the video:

Restaurant walking along the river when....

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 25, 2018, 10:43 pm

Video Reviews On youtube Brickhouse INN Udon
Master Builder

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 26, 2018, 8:44 am

timmy wrote:
March 25, 2018, 1:05 pm
do they sell ARCHA or to hi-so , for them types ..?
My statement about you stands.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 26, 2018, 10:23 am

fatbob wrote:
March 26, 2018, 8:44 am
timmy wrote:
and mine about YOU ...

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 26, 2018, 10:28 am

timmy wrote:
March 26, 2018, 10:23 am
fatbob wrote:
timmy wrote:
and mine about YOU ...
So why is the Brick House deemed to be Hi-So by yourself, would love to know???

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » March 26, 2018, 10:40 am

fatbob wrote:
March 26, 2018, 10:28 am
timmy wrote:
March 26, 2018, 10:23 am
fatbob wrote:
timmy wrote:
and mine about YOU ...
So why is the Brick House deemed to be Hi-So by yourself, would love to know???
it seems that your reading skills ar,nt upto much ,, so i,ll write slowly , it was ONLY a question ... do they sell " archa " ??? . OR is it a HI-SO bar ( because i dont know as i,ve never been in the bar ) i do know that some bars wont stock it because archa is classed as a low end beer ...

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 26, 2018, 12:39 pm

IMG_2698.JPG
The Brick House review, not a squabble fight, best change drinks.
Pineapple crush BHI= B80 Size 800ml cost per ml B0.1 served in Glass
" ' " " "" Night market= B30 Size 300ml cost per ml B0.1 served in Plastic

Choose where you like to sit= nice wooden surrounds BHI, or busy night market
Choose service type = Table serve BHI or self serve
Choose ambiance = Decor BHI, industrial shed Market
Choose Parking ease car = BHI 70% chance find before 3PM approx
.................................= Market 100% chance
Scooter........................= BHI / market 100%
Welcome response..........= BHI always a smile, as a regular/ Market, Yes please, maybe smile, as a regular
Choose relax-ability .........= BHI stay as long as you like, move to soi view tables, stay middle tables. watch TV, play pool, go sit garden tables. Market move to table facing north, or move to table facing south, repeat as often as you like.
Reason for outing.............Cheap charlie meal drinking at market, just to fill the spot and resupply body fuel, eat sleep keyboard homi.
..................................BHI, take your time enjoy life, make it a pleasure, take in life's journey, still eat sleep keyboard homi

Final report= cost does not apply to Supparot Bun/ Pineapple crush

Reccomendations: Drink PINEAPPLE CRUSH
Attachments
IMG_2734.JPG
Master Builder

Renshaw Farm
udonmap.com

Post by Renshaw Farm » March 27, 2018, 2:54 pm

What a great bar!

Another positive step forward for Udon Thani!

Well done Max ..... who has invested in our town, and deserves our support.

Amongst the local beers is San Mig Light on draft .... not due to be released in this area until June, a bit of arm twisting sorted it and barrels are being emptied smartish.

The Brick House draft beers are stored in a cold room above the bar.

Barazzas ....Camps Bay, Cape Town, Embassy Bar.... Mandarin, Macau, The XV .... Val d'Isere, France ..... Delaneys.... Kowloon ...... yes ..... The Brick House has sneeked into my top five!

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » March 28, 2018, 8:56 am

This is now my "local"

The choice of beer is outstanding. Old Speckled Hen on draft is my choice but there are plenty of others to suit all pockets.

The food is wonderful. I've had 5 meals so far, all perfectly cooked. Incidentally, non-greasy chips, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside just like Mum couldn't do!

The staff are attentive but unobtrusive, a really difficult balance to achieve.

The interior has taken a lot of thought as has the garden ( a work in progress but very comfortable),

Max, the owner, is very approachable and also very professional.

To echo other comments, I consider we are very lucky to have the Brick House and I hope Max gets the rewards for his highly innovative approach.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » March 28, 2018, 8:59 pm

Curry's Up
Master Builder

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » March 29, 2018, 9:56 am

In town yesterday took the opportunity to visit the Brick House. Warmly greeted at the entrance by a very polite young girl , seated under a fan, and shown the menu. My order taken immediately, and double-check by the waitress. My bacon cheese burger c/w chips arrived , beautifully presented on a wooden platter, more about that later. Burger was very tasty and juicy, the salad on the bun does need to be dressed however. The piece-de-resistance are the chips, served in a mini deep fat fryer, were simply the best I have eaten almost anywhere I have been. They look good, have a wonderful crunch and insides are soft and fluffy. well done the Chef. Prices were very reasonable. The wooden platter however aesthetically pleasing it may be, will be a devil to keep clean and sharp looking.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » March 31, 2018, 9:35 am

Eaten there 3’times this week - foods fine, price is fine, great decor but geez the service staff are terrible. Not wanting to diss the place completely but if the owner wants to message me I can elaborate.

I’m fully aware of staffing issues etc in Thailand and I wish the business well but if it’s any chance of success they do need to sit their staff and communication issues out and PRONTO

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 31, 2018, 9:56 am

ajsp9 wrote:
March 31, 2018, 9:35 am
Eaten there 3’times this week - foods fine, price is fine, great decor but geez the service staff are terrible. Not wanting to diss the place completely but if the owner wants to message me I can elaborate.

I’m fully aware of staffing issues etc in Thailand and I wish the business well but if it’s any chance of success they do need to sit their staff and communication issues out and PRONTO
I have known Max for many years from the old days in Patts , our wholesale company supply the BHI with some beverage products so i do talk to him regularly ..after many years in the trade here in Thailand (Witherspoons Pattya) he is fully aware of the issues you mention and is working on them .. i can confirm from my own experiences STAFFING PROBLEMS are the main cause for concern when operating a business here....the Thai workforce here in Udon are very transient , no sooner have you found a good reliable one trained them up ..then they disspear quicker than a Yorkshireman at check bin time and you are back to square one.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 31, 2018, 10:20 am

a bit of advice take it or leave it. if you want the best from staff , put aside 1 hour a week for brush up training, introducing new dishes and reflecting on last weeks failures and how to improve on them. staff will appreciate it and I'm not sure how many staff he has, but try to get some team work going, so everyone knows what their job is. if you give small responsibilities out they respond well "x" checks tables ," y " makes sure cutlery and dumb waiters are stocked. make staff feel they have an interest in running a ship shape business. also sorts out the lazy ones, and bonus time is you don't get headaches . the problem is when you try to get them to do everything, just too much. kitchen should have a chef and cleaner, outside a floor supervisor to co ordinate waiting staff and a barman that only takes care of the bar. don't try to get them to be a jack of all trades...it stresses them and then off the disappear
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » March 31, 2018, 10:24 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 31, 2018, 9:56 am
ajsp9 wrote:
March 31, 2018, 9:35 am

I have known Max for many years from the old days in Patts , our wholesale company supply the BHI with some beverage products so i do talk to him regularly ..after many years in the trade here in Thailand (Witherspoons Pattya) he is fully aware of the issues you mention and is working on them .. i can confirm from my own experiences STAFFING PROBLEMS are the main cause for concern when operating a business here....the Thai workforce here in Udon are very transient , no sooner have you found a good reliable one trained them up ..then they disspear quicker than a Yorkshireman at check bin time and you are back to square one.

DM
Yes I know hence my offer of a PM to specifically mention where I think it can be improved.

Incidentally and off topic I was talking to Selina on Wednesday about this and she wishes Max all the best in his Issan venture

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”