UK Passport Renewal

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
fogeyes
udonmap.com

UK Passport Renewal

Post by fogeyes » May 26, 2016, 1:33 pm

Last time I did this I just sent away documents and received my passport by post.
Has anybody applied for a renewal recently? If so could you give a step by step accont of your application.
Also section 10 of the application form is asking for a countersignatory do I need to do this if the application is for myself?
Many thanks.

Windy Gyle
udonmap.com

UK Passport Renewal

Post by Windy Gyle » June 3, 2016, 1:21 pm

I’m going through the UK passport renewal process at the moment. It now involves trips down to Trendy House in Bangkok for application and collection.

Go to gov.uk and follow the links to Overseas British passport applications. The application form and information/ guidance notes are all there.

You have to email VFS at Trendy house for an appointment. I did this the week before I wanted to go down. I gave them three consecutive dates and just specified after 11:00am for the time. The reply with appointment was swift.

You’ll need proof of address in Thailand. I used a voter registration letter from Northumberland CC for mine. I know some people have used a translated copy of their Thai driving license.

Trendy House is easy to find, it’s a short walk from BTS Nana. There’s a bar on the ground floor, perfect for a cheeky pint if you get there early.

I got my photos from a visa firm on the ground floor. 200THB for 6. As long as your appearance has not changed drastically over the past ten years there is no need for a counter signatory. I didn’t bother.

I was in and out from the appointment in less than 15 minutes. Hassle free.

My appointment was on the 15th May. Today, 3rd June, I’ve had a phone message from DHL saying there has been a delivery for me to Trendy House. Two hours later an email from Trendy telling me to come and collect. Then soon after that a telephone call saying the same.

It may have been processed quicker, but this renewal was for my second passport. Liverpool PO needed a letter from my employer, this delayed things by a couple of days.

Excellent service that also gave me an excuse for a shopping trip to Bangkok and a couple of nights on the lash.

Windy Gyle
udonmap.com

UK Passport Renewal

Post by Windy Gyle » June 4, 2016, 9:35 am

Trendy House?? - Sorry, not sure where I got the House bit from. Maybe because VFS used to be in Regent House. It's Trendy Office.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: UK Passport Renewal

Post by trubrit » February 18, 2018, 10:15 am

Nearly time for mine to be renewed and found this very helpful blog.
https://www.ajarn.com/blogs/bangkok-phi ... in-bangkok.
The only thing I can't find out is about the colour copies of the old passport. It says every page but my question is does that mean each page singly or does a copy of the two pages on view when open suffice?
Incidentally The Beyond Coffee in the sports stadium do colour printing at 5bht a page , while you wait .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

fogeyes
udonmap.com

Post by fogeyes » February 18, 2018, 11:39 am

Two pages when open will suffice

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 18, 2018, 9:47 pm

fogeyes wrote:
February 18, 2018, 11:39 am
Really? There is a lot of information including several posts in another place saying you are not correct.

If you need more copies in the trendy building then they are 20 Baht each possibly more in the VFS office

From another place
You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).
And from HMPO
Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 18, 2018, 9:47 pm
fogeyes wrote:
February 18, 2018, 11:39 am
Really? There is a lot of information including several posts in another place saying you are not correct.

If you need more copies in the trendy building then they are 20 Baht each possibly more in the VFS office

From another place
And from HMPO
Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand
You are misreading. They do not want every individual page copied, each on its own separate sheet of paper. They simply want a color scan/photocopy of the entire passport including blank pages. FWIW, I did 4 pages/sheet when I renewed both my UK passports at Trendy a couple of years back. Took a bit of time on the scanner/printer at home but saved a rainforest somewhere. I am pretty sure that the photocopy shops in and around Trendy have their own 'official' interpretation though.

So would I if I was charging at least 20 baht/page!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 21, 2018, 6:20 pm

tamada wrote:
February 21, 2018, 5:32 pm
You are misreading. They do not want every individual page copied, each on its own separate sheet of paper.
I did not say that they did.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 21, 2018, 7:16 pm

February 21, 2018, 6:20 pm
tamada wrote:
You are misreading. They do not want every individual page copied, each on its own separate sheet of paper.
trubrit asked for clarification if it was single-page/copy sheet or if 2-pages opened/copy sheet would suffice.

fogeyes confirmed that 2-page opened/copy sheet would be accepted.

You begged to differ.

I confirmed that they accepted 4-pages opened/copy sheet. Twice.

What are you trying to say?

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » February 21, 2018, 7:44 pm

tamada wrote:
February 21, 2018, 6:20 pm
tamada wrote:
trubrit asked for clarification if it was single-page/copy sheet or if 2-pages opened/copy sheet would suffice.

fogeyes confirmed that 2-page opened/copy sheet would be accepted.

You begged to differ.

I confirmed that they accepted 4-pages opened/copy sheet. Twice.

What are you trying to say?
Don't waste your energy Tamada. He's just a key board warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 22, 2018, 5:14 pm

It seems that the authorities in Bangkok are making you jump through hoops.
I am in the UK and applied online for a new passport by answering maybe a dozen questions mostly to confirm I was the owner of the passport to be renewed. I uploaded a photo, paid the £72.50 fee and posted the old passport to them.
I had e-mail confirmations that my application had been received, my old passport had been received, I had been approved and finally that the renewed passport had been posted and would be delivered within 2 working days.
If I receive it tomorrow the whole process will have taken 8 days.

One of the questions asked was if I was applying from abroad. It might be worth someones time to apply from Thailand and see what happens.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 22, 2018, 6:49 pm

karonsteve wrote:
February 22, 2018, 5:14 pm
It seems that the authorities in Bangkok are making you jump through hoops.
It is the Thai authority that requires you to have your passport that is creating the system we have to live with, together with the need to ensure that you are in fact you not someone faking your identity.
There are a few other countries that have the same requirements.

Japan is a little similar to the UK system and so much easier than Thailand, as are most other countries.
I am in the UK and applied online for a new passport by answering maybe a dozen questions mostly to confirm I was the owner of the passport to be renewed. I uploaded a photo, paid the £72.50 fee and posted the old passport to them.
I had e-mail confirmations that my application had been received, my old passport had been received,
There you have the reason for the process we have to suffer as we cannot be without our passports at any time.
I had been approved and finally that the renewed passport had been posted and would be delivered within 2 working days.
If I receive it tomorrow the whole process will have taken 8 days.

One of the questions asked was if I was applying from abroad. It might be worth someones time to apply from Thailand and see what happens.
What happens is that you are directed to follow the process that we go through. You cannot do an end run round the Trendy building process. HMPO will not send your passport to you in Thailand

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 26, 2018, 10:03 am

Off to Bk to apply for my replacement passport tomorrow, now I read somewhere on forum that there is an agent of some sort in the Trendy building that will collect my finished passport for me and post it to me for 500bht, saving me another trip down there , but I,m buggered if I can find where I read it .Anyone used this service and can give me an idea where to find them .

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 26, 2018, 10:16 am

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 26, 2018, 11:14 am

No they do the whole thing no need to go to BKK at all, but charge 5,000bht. I am applying in person but trying to avoid another journey down to pick it up when its ready .Thanks anyway .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 26, 2018, 11:51 am

trubrit wrote:
March 26, 2018, 11:14 am
No they do the whole thing no need to go to BKK at all, but charge 5,000bht. I am applying in person but trying to avoid another journey down to pick it up when its ready .Thanks anyway .
Val,The ONLY Way you can avoid the PICK-UP Trip is for have someone you know to pick it up,But you have to give them the authourization form that VFS Have given you on your'e 1st Trip, Signed by yourself....I Did the 2 Trips about 6 Months ago for mine,But also picked a Mates up on my 2nd trip ( Saved Him Going )

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » March 26, 2018, 5:38 pm

Truebrit.
I remember seeing the post & someone did it with no problems.
They said the agency was on the ground floor of the Trendy building.
They may have moved as it was about 2 years ago.
When you arrive at the Trendy building you have to report to the Reception.
Ask them about the Agency & where they are situated.
They do speak English at the reception.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 26, 2018, 6:23 pm

pal52 wrote:
March 26, 2018, 5:38 pm
Truebrit.
Thanks Pal thought I 'd seen something about it, that's what I'm after .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 26, 2018, 11:42 pm

trubrit wrote:
March 26, 2018, 6:23 pm
pal52 wrote:
Truebrit.
But That's the one that does EVERYTHING for you @5,000 Baht....

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » March 27, 2018, 6:18 am

747man wrote:
March 26, 2018, 11:42 pm
trubrit wrote:
March 26, 2018, 6:23 pm
pal52 wrote:
Truebrit.
But That's the one that does EVERYTHING for you @5,000 Baht....

No it is not.
The one which charges 5000 baht is in Pattaya.
The one which was in an earlier post is in the Trendy Building & had a Thai name.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”