Which bank has the best currency rate?

General Udon Thani topics only!
DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Which bank has the best currency rate?

Post by DuiDui49 » July 20, 2018, 12:37 pm

Hi fellow UM people !

I've just opened 3 diffrent bankbooks in 3 diffrent banks.

Goverment Bank
Kasikorn Bank
BKK Bank

The one i've used so far is SCB,and i'm okey whith them.BUT whith the Swedish Krona going down i've started to look to maybe have my money coming to another bank whith,hopefully,better exchangerate if possible.
And it's here i ask you for your knowledge..Forget about the Thai Rich one..but the above banks..which would you think be a better choiche,if any.

Thanks for reading,have a great day all..:-)
Last edited by DuiDui49 on July 21, 2018, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Re: Which bank has the best currency rate?

Post by Nigglyb » July 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

I use this website to check rates when making odd transfers from the UK

https://daytodaydata.net

Personally I use Bangkok Bank the most as I find the transfers easy (& charge free \:D/ ) & I their iBanking is easy to use to keep my eye on things
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 20, 2018, 1:46 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
July 20, 2018, 12:37 pm
Hi fellow UD people !

I've just opened 3 diffrent bankbooks in 3 diffrent banks.

Goverment Bank
Kasikorn Bank
BKK Bank

The one i've used so far is SCB,and i'm okey whith them.BUT whith the Swedish Krona going down i've started to look to maybe have my money coming to another bank whith,hopefully,better exchangerate if possible.
And it's here i ask you for your knowledge..Forget about the Thai Rich one..but the above banks..which would you think be a better choiche,if any.

Thanks for reading,have a great day all..:-)
Out of the 3 You mention BKK Bank is the best, But You might find Krungsri ( Yellow Bank ) has the best rates Only Just Though !!!

Forget Kasikorn their rates are absolute CRAP With a capital " C "............

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » July 20, 2018, 3:17 pm

Dui,
I use BKK. Check out their Website. I transfer to the New York BKK Branch. Usually shows up in 2 or 3 days. BKK charges a flat rate of 300 bht plus a TT rate. Bottom line it cost me .26 bht where as US Cash in hand, going to a Thai Bank here, costs anywhere between .5 and .75 bht per dollar. As mentioned, I really like BKK's iBanking....pay bills, transfer money and no ques. Done right from your home computer.
Regards

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 20, 2018, 7:28 pm

Thanks to all of that took time to help me suss this best-currency-rate thing out..:-)

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » July 21, 2018, 11:46 am

As far as I know any transfer from a Swedish Bank to a Thai bank always first passes Bangkok Bank and for that reason it will be smarter for you to just use the BKK account. If you use another bank there will be a second set of charges.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » July 21, 2018, 11:57 am

Each month I t/f money from Barclays UK to Kasikorn. As long as a weekend or bank hol not involved, takes less than 24 hours
Rate from UK in sterling guaranteed in transaction
Costs :Barclays 8 pounds, and kasikorn bank bt250( this is for any ammount up to 10,000 pounds I believe.)

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
July 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

Personally I use Bangkok Bank the most as I find the transfers easy (& charge free \:D/ ) & I their iBanking is easy to use to keep my eye on things
Thanks Niggly. Very useful tool.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 21, 2018, 2:24 pm

lassebasse wrote:
July 21, 2018, 11:46 am
As far as I know any transfer from a Swedish Bank to a Thai bank always first passes Bangkok Bank and for that reason it will be smarter for you to just use the BKK account. If you use another bank there will be a second set of charges.
LB,are you sure about that?If that what you state is true,why do i still have to wait 2-3 days until my money is in "my hand"so to say.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » July 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

the easiest and cheepest way I have found of transfering money over here is western union online costs 2.90GBP transfer it into my Bkk bank account as long as over 501 GBP get the same rate as the gold shops only hassle is u have to send a scan of your passport to set up the account after you have transfered 800 GBP but well worth giving a go to see how it works out to see if its worth sending the scan I know its not possible from all counties so would need to check western union website for your country

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 21, 2018, 6:55 pm

Nigglyb wrote:
July 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

This is the best site I have found for up to the minute exchange rates at most Thai banks in Udon. Under "Currency Type"
choose the TT option for rates for telegraphic transfers and use of foreign ATM cards in Thailand for withdrawals off your home country card.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Baht Man
udonmap.com

Post by Baht Man » November 18, 2018, 4:43 pm

If your sending $50,000 to BKK bank here they will give you a much better rate negoiated from BKK main office via a phone call from the manager here.
Additionally, they will give you paperwork stating that it was transfered here which allows you to take it back without an issues.
(The old minimum a few years back was $20.000). Back when I had it to send.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » November 20, 2018, 6:11 am

We changed over from Krungsri to Bangkok Bank as the latter seem to know more about what they are doing with money exchange etc.

Recently spent just a few minutes at Bangkok Bank with something that took over an hour last time at Krungsri.

Have also had other issues with them in the past where they said it was not possible for me to have an account there. Pointed out there was no difference from years before and after (again) at least an hour, they finally discovered they were looking in the wrong pages of the "online manual".

Hamma
udonmap.com

Post by Hamma » November 20, 2018, 10:41 am

My problem was my danish bank overcharging to send the money to BKK Bank. I now use TransferWise.com, best rates, they tell you what they charge and guarantee the rate for 24 hours, what my danish bank did not. Transferring money always was a lottery game. You never knew what you got. Now it gives me peace in mind. Can recommend them

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » December 9, 2018, 8:58 pm

I agree with most of the responders, BKK Bank is the better... AND, I've also found that almost all the ATM's charge me ฿220 if I use my State-side ATM card. I recently found that Aeon Bank (Japanese I believe) only charges ฿150 for using my US ATM Card. One minor problem, the Aeon Bank ATM will not accept Thai Debit Cards???
Stay atop the grass

maxeboy
udonmap.com

Post by maxeboy » December 10, 2018, 8:41 am

Hamma wrote:
November 20, 2018, 10:41 am
My problem was my danish bank overcharging to send the money to BKK Bank. I now use TransferWise.com, best rates, they tell you what they charge and guarantee the rate for 24 hours, what my danish bank did not. Transferring money always was a lottery game. You never knew what you got. Now it gives me peace in mind. Can recommend them
The best advice I can give You is to open a FCD Foreign Currency Deposit account.
Use Bank of Ayudhya which is very good. You get an ATM card connected to the account and You can withdraw cash or use the VISA part of the ATM Card. Transfer Danish Kroner from Denmark to the account and when using the card TT rate of exchange gives You the best rate of exchange. You can check the TT rate every day from the home page og Bank of Ayudhya.

PM me if any more questions. I am from Denmark.

Kind regards from

maxeboy
GreatDane born free taxed into slavery

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 10, 2018, 9:04 am

Hamma wrote:
Hamma, can you tell us if your Thai bank charges you a fee when the TransferWise deposit it made. For example....my Bangkok Bank account is charged 1/4% of the transferred amount, or a minimum of 200 baht and a maximum of 500 baht.
Last edited by semperfiguy on December 10, 2018, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 10, 2018, 9:29 am

semperfiguy wrote:
December 10, 2018, 9:04 am
Hamma wrote:
Hamma, can you tell us if your Thai bank charges you a fee when the TransferWise deposit it made. For example....my Bangkok Bank account is charged 1/4% or the transferred amount, or a minimum of 200 baht and a maximum of 500 baht.
No change, as the TransferWise transfer is in Baht not a foreign currency.

When you agree the amount you are sending and accept the exchange rate they tell you exactly how much you will receive and that's what is deposited in your account.
image.jpg
Small test transfer so quite high fee it goes down to 0.5% with large transfers. It took about 1 day.

The best exchange rate is cash in Superrich both examples were at the same time
IMG_5862-2.jpeg
IMG_5861-2.jpeg
TransferWise examples
IMG_5864-2.jpeg
IMG_5865-2.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 10, 2018, 10:23 am

Last week i did a small transfer with another agency, Xe.com. However, it looks like my Thai bank (Krungsri) has walloped it with a 500 baht fee ..... even though it was a baht transfer. Krungsri updated their fees and charges last month, there are pages and pages of them. I suspect they are now shafting the baht transfers as well. Thai banks hate not making money off you.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

rick wrote:
December 10, 2018, 10:23 am
Last week i did a small transfer with another agency, Xe.com. However, it looks like my Thai bank (Krungsri) has walloped it with a 500 baht fee ..... even though it was a baht transfer. Krungsri updated their fees and charges last month, there are pages and pages of them. I suspect they are now shafting the baht transfers as well. Thai banks hate not making money off you.
I suspect that it was an international transfer AFIK the TransferWise is local
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”