A bit move Bovver

Post by stattointhailand » August 2, 2018, 11:52 am

England blew a solid start to the first test with yet another collapse [-X

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45031634

Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: A bit move Bovver

Post by Zidane » August 3, 2018, 11:32 am

"a bit move bovver" ???...….statto,you should never post when you've started that 3rd bottle of Beer Chang ! :D

I think you meant "a bit MORE bovver" and it relates to the England v India Test Match currently being played at Edgbaston.

Maybe a kind hearted moderator could change the topic title to "A bit more bovver (England v India)" or something similar ?? ;)

Anyway,after 2 days the match is evenly poised and could go either way....

England 287 (Root 80,Bairstow 70,Ashwin 4-62) and 9-1
India 274 (Kohli 149,Curran 4-74)

Virat Kohli withstood England's bowlers to score a fine 149 and keep India in the game on an enthralling second day in the first Test at Edgbaston.
England were bowled out for 287 before reducing India to 50-3 and 100-5.
Sam Curran took 4-74 and James Anderson and Ben Stokes bowled superbly for two wickets apiece, but captain Kohli dragged India back into the game.
India made 274 before England lost Alastair Cook for a duck to the day's final ball as they closed on 9-1 - a lead of 22.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 4, 2018, 8:15 am

All set for an exciting day at Edgbaston but England need to get Kohli out quickly.
Englands batting again....87-7 at one stage..... :oops:

First Specsavers Test, Edgbaston (day three of five)
England 287 (Root 80, Ashwin 4-62) & 180 (Curran 63, Ishant 5-51)
India 274 (Kohli 149, Curran 4-74) & 110-5 (Kohli 43*)
India need 194 to win

England's first Test against India is set for a thrilling finish after Sam Curran's counter-attack dragged the hosts back into the game on the third day at Edgbaston.
Ravichandran Ashwin dismissed England's top order and Ishant Sharma took three wickets in an over to leave England in disarray on 87-7.
However, Curran hit an enterprising 63 to help the hosts reach 180 and set India 194 for victory.
Stuart Broad took two wickets as India slipped to 78-5, but captain Virat Kohli ended the day unbeaten on 43 with his side 110-5, requiring a further 84.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

So do we hold the Edgbaston mangement to task for not preparing a proper wicket for a test match, or do we just have to concede that the TWO sets of International standard Cricketers are incapable of batting for 5 days anymore :evil: If its the latter then someone somewhere HAS to ban 20/20 at any level above village green cricket until players relearn the basics of being a batsman =;

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 4, 2018, 10:00 pm

I can barely be bovvered to post this but England won by 31 runs after 3 days and 1 session of a FIVE day test match barely 900 runs in 4 innings on a pitch where Indian captain Kohli proved that staying at the wicket WAS an option with 200 runs on his own ....... pitty the other 21 players couldnt manage to show ANY basic batting skills

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 5, 2018, 10:36 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you statts but I do hope that this wont deter you from posting in the future ! :D
Batting aside,it was quite an exciting game and was evenly poised until Stokes trapped Kohli lbw.If that wouldn't have happened I think India would have gone on to win.

The batting....well,India seem worse of than us.Kohli scored 149 and 51 which was nearly as much as the other 10 made in total.
For England,Root made 80 and Bairstow 70 in the first innings and 20 year old debutant,Curran,weighed in with a match winning 63 in the second innings as well as giving a decent bowling performance.
Cook,Malan and Buttler had absolute shockers but who is there out there to replace them with ?? The curse of limited overs cricket is a big problem,not just for England.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 5, 2018, 10:53 am

I'm with you Zid. Was a proper contest between bat and ball all the way through. Great track and far superior to the road served up at the MCG on Boxing Day and the wickets prepared throughout that series in general. More wickets like this and test cricket will prosper. The game also showed how the Ashes missed Ben Stokes.
Watch Me!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 5, 2018, 11:25 am

Jeez guys its supposed to be a TEST MATCH FFS .......... 3 days and 1 session 10 sessions 40 wickets, that FOUR wickets EVERY session throughout a test match ](*,)

These are supposed to be the BEST cricketers these two countries can muster and they cant provide enough players to withstand what was basically little more than average bowling.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 6, 2018, 10:50 am

I take your point,statts and it must be very frustrating for fans who have purchased tickets for the 4th and 5th days. (do they get some sort of refund or is it just bad luck ? ).
However,surely it must be better for the groundsman to prepare a wicket where there is something in it for both the batsmen and the bowlers.If you were a cricket fan would you rather see a match like the one at Edgbaston or one on a batsmens paradise over 5 days which could end up something like this...….
England 600 (Root 300 not out) and 20-0
India 650 (Kohli 350 not out)
Match drawn :badteeth:
At the moment (probably because of all the limited overs formats) there aren't that many decent Test batsmen around and maybe its better to have a scenario where the bowlers are in the ascendancy ?
Possibly the answer could be to introduce 4 day Tests ? The newer Test playing countries like Ireland and Afghanistan are already taken part in that.
An Ashes series of 4 day Tests ? Well,if you look at recent series it wouldn't make too much of a difference ! :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 11, 2018, 8:28 am

Second Test at Lords.....first day washed out by the weather and the second day rain affected,as well,but still time for Jimmy Anderson to run amok through Indias batting.

Second Specsavers Test, Lord's (day two of five)
India 107: Anderson 5-20, Woakes 2-19
England: Yet to bat

James Anderson took 5-20 as England bowled a woeful India out for 107 on a rain-affected second day of the second Test at Lord's.
India fell to 15-3 after being asked to bat in conditions perfectly suited for swing bowling.
Anderson struck twice early on before the first of two lengthy rain delays.
Chris Woakes took 2-19, including captain Virat Kohli, in an extended evening session as India - 1-0 down in the series - folded in only 35.2 overs.
Woakes, returning to the side in place of Ben Stokes, and Anderson bowled superbly to expose India's poor technique against the moving ball.
Only the intervention of Mohammed Shami, the number 11, pushed India beyond 100 before Ishant Sharma was trapped lbw by Anderson to wrap up the innings.
With the weather set to improve on Saturday, India face a sizeable task to drag themselves back into the match.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 12, 2018, 7:55 am

Second Specsavers Test, Lord's (day three of five)
India 107: Anderson 5-20, Woakes 2-19
England 357-6: Woakes 120*, Bairstow 93, Shami 3-74
England lead by 250 runs

Chris Woakes' maiden Test century put England in total control on the third day of the second Test against India.
The all-rounder's unbeaten 120, coupled with 93 from Jonny Bairstow, took the hosts to 357-6, a lead of 250.
England slipped to 89-4 before Bairstow and Woakes shared a sixth-wicket stand of 179 at Lord's.
Heavy rain is expected for much of Sunday, but England have put themselves in an ideal position to win this Test and take a 2-0 lead in the series.
Although bad light ended play early and spared India further punishment, they will need a much-improved batting performance after their first-innings 107 if they are to save the match.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 13, 2018, 7:58 am

Second Specsavers Test, Lord's (day four of five)
India 107 & 130: Ashwin 33*, Anderson 4-23, Broad 4-44
England 396-7 dec: Woakes 137*, Bairstow 93, Hardik 3-66
England won by an innings & 159 runs

England completed a crushing innings and 159-run victory over India at Lord's to take a 2-0 series lead.
James Anderson took 4-23 to finish with nine wickets in the match and Stuart Broad shone with 4-44 as India were bowled out for 130.
The hosts had declared on 396-7, with Chris Woakes finishing on 137 not out, before Anderson reduced India to 17-2.
Rain delayed play twice but India lost wickets regularly and Woakes took the final scalp to secure an emphatic win.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2018, 10:02 pm

Ben Stokes back for the Third Test after being found NOT GUILTY.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-45182868

And Glenn McGrath's record is now within Jimmy Anderson's sights ...... 10 to go

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

I've been following this trial and was a bit surprised both these guys got off but the charge of "affray" apparently includes where innocent bystanders are at risk which clearly was not the case.
On the first day of the trial the prosecution tried to change the charge to actual bodily harm,a lesser charge of which Stokes could well have been found guilty,but this late change was rejected by Judge Root ! :-s :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 19, 2018, 3:12 am

Third Specsavers Test, Trent Bridge (day one of five)
India 307-6 (87 overs): Kohli 97, Rahane 81, Woakes 3-75
England: Yet to bat

India's batsmen breathed life into their tour of England on day one of the third Test at Trent Bridge.
Virat Kohli made a superb 97 and Ajinkya Rahane 81 to help the visitors to 307-6 after England won the toss.
Chris Woakes' three wickets had reduced them to 82-3, only for Kohli and Rahane to add 159 for the fourth wicket.
India were set to end the day in a very strong position, only for James Anderson to remove Hardik Pandya with the final delivery.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 20, 2018, 7:18 am

An England batting collapse.....so whats new.... :(
Third Specsavers Test, Trent Bridge (day two of five)
India 329 all out & 124-2: Dhawan 44, Rahul 36
England 161 all out: Buttler 39, Cook 29, Pandya 5-28
India lead by 292 runs

An awful England batting collapse gave India complete control of the third Test on day two at Trent Bridge.
The home side were bundled out for 161, surrendering all 10 wickets in the period between lunch and tea.
At one stage they lost nine for 74 runs in the space of 20.5 overs, with India all-rounder Hardik Pandya claiming 5-28.
The tourists themselves had lost their last four first-innings wickets for six runs to be dismissed for 329.
When they batted for a second time, India moved to 124-2 to end a chaotic day with a lead of 292 and the perfect opportunity to cut their deficit in the five-match series to 2-1.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 20, 2018, 12:22 pm

I was at home yesterday watching the demise of England and must say that the catch to dismiss Root was IMO clearly not out. The ball clearly hits the ground just before his fingers touch the ball. And of all people to claim the catch it was Kholi, whom I think is a great cricketer but his attitude as a captain and leader is questionable at times.
The Indians are back to their old ways when appealing for the smallest of chances. Listening yesterday they scream in the loudest of school girl shrieks at the umpire, not once , not twice, not thrice times but 4 or 5. Some one should tell them to pull their heads in.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 21, 2018, 9:35 am

Plenty of time left for England to score the further 498 runs needed for victory..... :badteeth:
Third Specsavers Test, Trent Bridge (day three of five)
India 329 & 352-7 dec: Kohli 103, Pujara 72, Rashid 3-101
England 161 & 23-0: Jennings 13*, Cook 9*
England need a further 498 runs to win

England face a huge challenge to save the third Test after a century from India captain Virat Kohli on day three at Trent Bridge.
Kohli's exemplary 103, added to 72 from Cheteshwar Pujara and Hardik Pandya's unbeaten 52, allowed the tourists to declare on 352-7, setting England a notional 521 to win.
The home side were given nine overs to bat, Alastair Cook and Keaton Jennings battling to the close on 23-0.
That was something of a positive end to a difficult day for England, who dropped each of Kohli and Pujara and lost wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow to a fractured finger.
Bairstow injured the middle finger on his left hand when trying to take a delivery from James Anderson, with Jos Buttler donning the gloves for most of the day.
England say Bairstow is likely to bat in their massive task of making the largest fourth-innings score to win a Test or surviving for two days to save it.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 22, 2018, 6:58 am

Third Specsavers Test, Trent Bridge (day four of five)
India 329 & 352-7 dec: Kohli 103, Pujara 72, Rashid 3-101
England 161 & 311-9: Buttler 106, Stokes 62, Bumrah 5-85
India need one wicket to win

England are on the verge of a huge defeat by India in the third Test despite the defiance of Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes on day four at Trent Bridge.
Buttler made his maiden Test century and Stokes 62 in a fifth-wicket partnership of 169 that hauled England from 62-4.
But when Buttler was lbw for 106, playing no shot to Jasprit Bumrah, it began a slide that saw England lose four wickets for 10 runs to the second new ball.
The swiping of Adil Rashid and Stuart Broad took play into an extra half hour and, even though Broad became paceman Bumrah's fifth victim, last man James Anderson helped Rashid survive for another 5.4 overs.
England eventually closed on 311-9, leaving India needing one wicket on the final day to complete victory and cut their series deficit to 2-1.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Has a call for assistance been sent to the "George Davis is innocent" group yet?

or are we confident enough that this near to August Bank Holiday the weather will save us :lol:

Return to “World Sports”