Udon City Bus

General Udon Thani topics only!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Udon City Bus

Post by stattointhailand » April 25, 2019, 4:08 pm

parrot wrote:
April 25, 2019, 12:33 pm
You're asking the city to foot the bill for a few loose cannons who can't control their liquor intake? That's what late night taxis are for.
That's VERY unlike you parrot :-k
There is a serious social problem that needs addressing ....... locals will drink when out because thats what they have always done (the family/social group here is on a much larger scale than in UK) Saying "get a taxi home" is a ludicrous suggestion as B300 or so 5 or 6 times a month would be an enormous strain on many Thais finances (added to the cost of the alcohol). From my experience we are not dealing with a "few loose cannons" as you say, but a large part of the population (both young and old). I'm not suggesting the city provide a "free" service, just a regular service that can be relied upon to run. A half hour service on most routes could be operated by one or two vehicles per route (perhaps charging B20 during the night). If this was widely advertised and drink driving fines were increased I'm sure the number of accidents on the roads would be reduced, and the roads would thus become a much safer place for all of us

Natas

Post by Natas » April 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 25, 2019, 4:08 pm
parrot wrote:
You're asking the city to foot the bill for a few loose cannons who can't control their liquor intake? That's what late night taxis are for.
There is a serious social problem that needs addressing ....... locals will drink when out because thats what they have always done (the family/social group here is on a much larger scale than in UK) Saying "get a taxi home" is a ludicrous suggestion as B300 or so 5 or 6 times a month would be an enormous strain on many Thais finances (added to the cost of the alcohol). From my experience we are not dealing with a "few loose cannons" as you say, but a large part of the population (both young and old). I'm not suggesting the city provide a "free" service, just a regular service that can be relied upon to run. A half hour service on most routes could be operated by one or two vehicles per route (perhaps charging B20 during the night). If this was widely advertised and drink driving fines were increased I'm sure the number of accidents on the roads would be reduced, and the roads would thus become a much safer place for all of us
WTF are you going on about?
The City Thai I know have and use Grab to get around. 120 baht max inner city if they are going out to dinner with drinks. At midnight pretty much each bar closes. So they end up at Rythem Bar or Phoenix club. There are others too. After this we tend to Grab to get food or go home.
They are happy to buses are running. But to have these run at night. Udon is a ghost city at night most nights.
Where you get 300 baht is beyond me. If they live in the village and cannot afford to come to the city they should not come in the 1st place..
Again I am unclear where you get your info from. You seem to be the type who rarely does anything but has an opinion.
Everyone should be happy there is buses. This is progress and for the Thai.
Get it together.. seriously such a stupid post.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » April 25, 2019, 6:08 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 25, 2019, 4:08 pm
parrot wrote:
its not even just about drink driving malls are open till 2100 UD Town 2300 markets and on and on but the only way for employees and customers to get around after 1800 is either private transport or taxi tuk tuk and grab and yes would be helpfull for bar hoppers Thai and farang alike there are far more Thai drink drivers than farang as its part of the culture without alternatives nothing will change

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 25, 2019, 7:53 pm

Nice to see these busses stopping at the airport. Perhaps they won't need that parking garage there after all.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 26, 2019, 5:34 am

I hope the service is successful and it continues its expansion to the 3rd route that will run the Ring Road.. My only concern is that when viewing their FB page the fare machine with its ability to take a tap card payment, bills or coins means that device will eventually need maintenance.. Same with the buses.. Nice CNG machines that are low pollution and efficient.. Does the bus "barn" have a good crew of maintenance folks or will we see a gradual decline in buses as they start to have maintenance issues?? Remember the modern queue ticket machine and counters installed with some fanfare at Immigration? How long did that last?
Dave

UdonOAH
udonmap.com

Post by UdonOAH » May 4, 2019, 12:37 am

Yes it is phenominal. I have been lecturing for years anyone that would listen how Udon needs a modern bus service.

Less crowded roads, no parking problem, can relax and work on your phone, yada, yada, yada,,

Sure beats the buses of indeterminate age they had sometimes still running. (they were old buses 3 decades ago!)
Old buses could barely get out of there own way. Looked like they would collapse into pieces any second.
They certainly got their investment back.

Hope they don't try to make the new buses last 50+ years also : )

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 29, 2019, 5:50 pm

Teaching the Pau Song (2nd grade) students at St. Mary's how to use the new city bus.
Attachments
Udon Bus.jpg

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 30, 2019, 7:02 pm

we've yet to see the planned 3rd route that was scheduled to run the Ring Road. Judging from the few passengers I see on the buses traveling by I've got to wonder how long it will last?
Dave

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 30, 2019, 7:40 pm

On the Thaharn rd route very few passengers but the Big C - Airport route seems to very popular with students, St-Mary's and others.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 31, 2019, 7:06 am

the-monk wrote:
October 30, 2019, 7:40 pm
On the Thaharn rd route very few passengers but the Big C - Airport route seems to very popular with students, St-Mary's and others.
I had a couple of nights in Bkk last week and decided to take the bus instead of a taxi as it’s on my route.The bus was completely full by the time we moved, waiting time was about 10 mins.I also use for going into central rather than take the car,only problem lately I’ve noticed is the real time app has been dropping out when I’m trying to locate the next bus unless the problem lies with my phone.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 31, 2019, 7:11 am

I should have said take the bus on arrival at Udon,as you come out of the building at the arrival gate turn left and the bus stop is along there.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 4, 2020, 10:28 am

Any news of when the service will resume?

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 4, 2020, 10:54 am

Resume ? I was told that the service had been cancelled, no mention of re-activating the service.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » October 4, 2020, 11:29 am

the-monk wrote:
October 4, 2020, 10:54 am
Resume ? I was told that the service had been cancelled, no mention of re-activating the service.
Thanks for the update, I presumed it had been postponed due to Covid. Ill definitely miss it , I used the Airport-Big C route quite frequently.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 4, 2020, 2:45 pm

Have been told the buses have been sold !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » October 5, 2020, 12:36 pm

That was the best bus service in Udon, used it daily when it was going, relax in A/C wifi, let some one else drive in the traffic, short lived service,
Master Builder

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » October 6, 2020, 12:54 am

Yes why do they scrap a great service, not very popular with local people I suppose.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 6, 2020, 6:26 am

dezzer111 wrote:
October 6, 2020, 12:54 am
Yes why do they scrap a great service, not very popular with local people I suppose.
It was handy for some but from my observations the passenger loads weren't significant. They probably didn't budget for the Corona virus lockdown though. Maybe someone else will put some money into it as the buses, if they are in storage somewhere, were quite new and probably haven't been trashed yet. If they've been sold off already, well...

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”