Car cameras...

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Car cameras...

Post by tamada » May 5, 2019, 3:40 pm

glalt wrote:
May 2, 2019, 5:52 pm
One reason I really like the Yi cameras is because I don't have to fiddle with them. I can do everything from the WiFi with my phone.
Is that a Yi dashcam? Do you have a model number and a link?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 5, 2019, 4:22 pm

I have one like this and one lower resolution;

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaom ... c&search=1

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » May 7, 2019, 6:42 pm

trouble with these units they all have to plug into the cigyy lighter with cables dangling all over the cabin ..is there a stand alone unit ?
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 7, 2019, 7:11 pm

When you google it maybe you can let us know

Thanks

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 9:48 pm

yartims wrote:
May 7, 2019, 6:42 pm
trouble with these units they all have to plug into the cigyy lighter with cables dangling all over the cabin ..is there a stand alone unit ?
Doing a 'clean' looking installation isn't really rocket surgery. Plenty YT videos to show how it can be done. Unfortunately most dash cams come with the cig lighter power as standard, even expensive ones. There's plenty shops that will happily chop that plug off and hard-wire it in and tacking cables behind and a-pillar and roof lining is too easy. But I reckon 500 baht would be a fair price to get it done by a third party. Part of the cost if you buy the dash cam from the shop with free installation.

My sports lorry has 3 cig lighter plugs so I converted one of them to a 5V DC twin USB outlet by gutting a regular cig lighter/to USB adapter, making it straight-through and buying a DC-DC converter that takes the 12V DC that was the supply to the cig lighter socket and outputs the 5V DC @ 5A to the new USB socket. Neatly mounted behind the glovebox and great for charging higher-current devices like tablets and smart phones with big batteries faster than the current-limited 1.5A ciggy adapter.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 7, 2019, 10:55 pm

Just as an FYI the car power port, formerly cig lighter socket, adapter I use has 2 USB plug in ports. A 1 amp and a 2.1 amp. Use the 1 amp to power GPS and 2.1 amp to charge phone.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2019, 5:23 am

^ That's the correct connection as phones and tablets are power hogs.

A point to note on those generic cig lighter-USB charger adapters. While a lot of them do indicate a low-current and high-current socket, they are hard pushed to charge/run two devices at the same time at the currents they claim. If in doubt, check how hot the device gets with a couple of devices charging or running. You may be surprised at how hot they get and not leave stuff plugged in and charging unattended.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 8, 2019, 6:57 am

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 9:48 pm

Doing a 'clean' looking installation isn't really rocket surgery. Plenty YT videos to show how it can be done. Unfortunately most dash cams come with the cig lighter power as standard, even expensive ones. There's plenty shops that will happily chop that plug off and hard-wire it in
I thought that plug contains a 5v power supply adapter for the camera so just chopping it of isn't good for the camera?

The hard wire kits I have for my 2 both have voltage change boxes.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 8, 2019, 9:44 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 8, 2019, 6:57 am
tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 9:48 pm

Doing a 'clean' looking installation isn't really rocket surgery. Plenty YT videos to show how it can be done. Unfortunately most dash cams come with the cig lighter power as standard, even expensive ones. There's plenty shops that will happily chop that plug off and hard-wire it in
I thought that plug contains a 5v power supply adapter for the camera so just chopping it of isn't good for the camera?

The hard wire kits I have for my 2 both have voltage change boxes.
Yes, they chop it off and maybe use the innards to lash up the 12V to 5V conversion behind the dash, wrapped up in cheap insulating tape. Using boxes to house the DC-DC converter as you mention is the proper way.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”