Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Post by tamada » September 7, 2019, 7:54 am

TJ wrote:
September 6, 2019, 7:26 am
This premise of overcharging because of color strikes me as non-logical and nonsense. They are overcharging or high-pricing because those overcharged ARE Not Thai citizens. Am I wrong?
No TJ, you are 100% correct.

It's a very unfortunate happenstance that there are still some sad, white-skinned individuals who despite claiming that their skill sets and education are far, far superior to everything Thai and handily berating the lamentably poor state of education in Thailand, they continually conflate nationality and/or citizenship with race.

Between you and me, I reckon they probably missed their own 'O' levels way, way back when such things were significant. Missed them by a mile.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 7, 2019, 8:38 am

tamada wrote:
September 7, 2019, 7:41 am
Marcosteffano wrote:
September 5, 2019, 6:00 pm
So tamata-saint,you seem to be ok paying a lot more for services than the next man.when the government came up with this policy they must of had you 2 in mind.i thought all the mugs might of left Thailand by now but it looks like there's still a few about.
When someone overcharges me and especially based on my colour I tend to take it personally and feel I have the right to bleat about it or given the choice not accept the goods or services.
Since I obviously don't do national parks nearly as much as all the bleaters do nor do I cadge around for cheap medical treatment when deep in my heart and maybe only in an emergency, I know I am not really entitled to any of it, then my exposure to this over-hyped 'racist' dual-pricing malarkey is reduced to the very, very infrequent 'farang price' gouge by a local merchant. In these extremely isolated cases, the last one being so long ago and so insignificant I can't even recall when it happened, I avoid bleating to him/her (and then posting with the ritual white-man's righteous indignation on forums) and simply chose "not accept the goods or services." No drama.

The way I see it, the only mug here is still on holiday in the UK. Hurry back, your gene pool in Thailand needs you.

Meanwhile, while you're over there, try being a darkie for a day and get back to us about racism.
Nicely put . =D> =D> =D>

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Lone Star wrote:
September 7, 2019, 6:17 am
eagle wrote:
September 6, 2019, 8:43 pm
I just wonder…

An European coming to Thailand using visa of any kind. He must pay medical cost and sometimes have a medical insurance, not always.

A Thai going to Europe using a visa of any kind. He must always have medical insurance to cover medical costs.

So...?

An European coming to Thailand and after got residence permit. He must pay medical cost, but with lower price as Thai people do.

A Thai going to Europe and have residence permit. He has to pay medical costs, no insurance and cost is same as locals pay.

So...?

Key word is resident (or visitor using only visa). Resident can get cheaper medical coverage, someone using visa or extension of visa not. Same rule applies in Europe and in Thailand.

Why we say that in Thailand it is not good, when in Europe it is good?

I live in Thailand and my address is in Thailand. If I go to my home country, I have to pay exact the same fee as any Thai pays. Social security and prices based on that are only for people who are resident in that country. My nationality is based on that country, but nationality does not matter, because it has to be resident, not citizen.

I would like to see how many of us claiming this system to be unfair are really resident of Thailand. With visa extension we are only visitors and we should not have same rights, because our own home countries do not give those to visitors either.

Our home countries have dual pricing and will have in the future also. Most of us just do not see that, because we are citizens there.
Excellent Analysis!
The issue here maybe is, how easy is it to get resident status in Thailand? Why can't expats be extended this courtesy if they are living here long term. Seems like we a being kept on visas, so we can be overcharged.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 7, 2019, 9:34 am

I have no idea why the Thai visa/residence system is structured as it is - but the proposition that it is "so we can be overcharged" is just nonsensical.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 7, 2019, 10:04 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
September 7, 2019, 9:01 am

The issue here maybe is, how easy is it to get resident status in Thailand? Why can't expats be extended this courtesy if they are living here long term. Seems like we a being kept on visas, so we can be overcharged.
If we want to expand this discussion to include obtaining Thai resident status as a means to avoiding the 'farang price', the issue here may be the overwhelming, nascent sloth of the foreigner to get off his indolent, beer-swilling arse long enough to do anything about getting the readily available Thai residency. I think there are enough dedicated posts and threads on the 'big forum' about long-termers (lifers?) who have comparatively easily qualified for, applied for and gained this vaunted status. I would wager that most made an effort to actually learn the language.

I seriously doubt any country allows a foreigner the 'courtesy' of a free(er) ride, let alone someone who still needs a hand-holding translator after 20, 30 or 40 years there.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 7, 2019, 11:19 am

tamada wrote:
September 7, 2019, 10:04 am

If we want to expand this discussion to include obtaining Thai resident status as a means to avoiding the 'farang price', the issue here may be the overwhelming, nascent sloth of the foreigner to get off his indolent, beer-swilling arse long enough to do anything about getting the readily available Thai residency. I think there are enough dedicated posts and threads on the 'big forum' about long-termers (lifers?) who have comparatively easily qualified for, applied for and gained this vaunted status. I would wager that most made an effort to actually learn the language.
tam, can you please keep us all updated on the progress of your PR application.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » September 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

tamada wrote:
September 7, 2019, 7:41 am
Marcosteffano wrote:
September 5, 2019, 6:00 pm
So tamata-saint,you seem to be ok paying a lot more for services than the next man.when the government came up with this policy they must of had you 2 in mind.i thought all the mugs might of left Thailand by now but it looks like there's still a few about.
When someone overcharges me and especially based on my colour I tend to take it personally and feel I have the right to bleat about it or given the choice not accept the goods or services.
Since I obviously don't do national parks nearly as much as all the bleaters do nor do I cadge around for cheap medical treatment when deep in my heart and maybe only in an emergency, I know I am not really entitled to any of it, then my exposure to this over-hyped 'racist' dual-pricing malarkey is reduced to the very, very infrequent 'farang price' gouge by a local merchant. In these extremely isolated cases, the last one being so long ago and so insignificant I can't even recall when it happened, I avoid bleating to him/her (and then posting with the ritual white-man's righteous indignation on forums) and simply chose "not accept the goods or services." No drama.

The way I see it, the only mug here is still on holiday in the UK. Hurry back, your gene pool in Thailand needs you.

Meanwhile, while you're over there, try being a darkie for a day and get back to us about racism.
Try being a darkie,do you mean try being a person of colour.it seems you may have a touch of old time racial hatred built in that is totally out of touch with the 21st century.i feel there is a lot less racism in the uk than you think.now if your talking about that word islamaphobic-islamaphobia this isn't racial,Islam is a religious ideology not a colour of skin even though the media portrays it as racial.anyone can walk into a hospital in the uk and will receive treatment no matter what the colour of their skin is.they will pay the same for a prescription as I would.anyway it appears you and saint are probably the only 2 willing to pay up to 400% more for treatment than a Thai.
Attachments
IMG_2977.PNG
IMG_2976.PNG

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 7, 2019, 11:19 am
tamada wrote:
September 7, 2019, 10:04 am

tam, can you please keep us all updated on the progress of your PR application.
jack, you must be mistaking me with someone else. I am not in the least bit interested in PR in this benighted realm, either earned or wishfully handed out as a 'courtesy' just for pulling millions of baht out a Thai ATM. But feel free to critique the earnest and honest efforts of those others who wanted it, applied for it and obtained it in the aforementioned 'other' forum. For the most part, they appear immensely happy that they did. Granted, the less ardent and poorly motivated probably fell by the wayside early in the process. Then there are those that have a Masters in procrastination.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 7, 2019, 3:04 pm

Well it is CLEARLY harder to gain Thai residency, than it is in any Western country. Starting with the fact that there is a quota in the first place. Generally expats place no burden on Thai society, they just keeping spending money earned outside the country. I guess we are deemed of no value.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 7, 2019, 3:35 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
September 7, 2019, 3:04 pm
Well it is CLEARLY harder to gain Thai residency, than it is in any Western country. Starting with the fact that there is a quota in the first place. Generally expats place no burden on Thai society, they just keeping spending money earned outside the country. I guess we are deemed of no value.
I just got my glasses back from the optical shop, so I can see clearly now. The Americans I've known who were here since the early 70's (all dead now), and ensuing years have been here without incident. None that I know of were ever refused an extension.....none even threatened with expulsion. One American was fined about 20,000 for forgetting his annual renewal, a few paid because they forgot their 90 day checks. Despite a handful of coups during that time, about the only thing that's changed is the increase in bank deposit (many many moons ago) and officials who are generally much easier to deal with than back before 2000. Two Americans from Udon had permanent residency, and both chose to deal with their final extended illnesses through AEK. I don't think either would have expected subsidized care through the general hospital....anymore than they'd have expected to have a say about the course of the government over many years of turbulence. We're expats here, not citizens. Push comes to shove, I doubt expats in any country would have much to say about government policies.
It's so nice to see clearly again!

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 7, 2019, 3:55 pm

parrot wrote:
September 7, 2019, 3:35 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
I just got my glasses back from the optical shop, so I can see clearly now. The Americans I've known who were here since the early 70's (all dead now), and ensuing years have been here without incident. None that I know of were ever refused an extension.....none even threatened with expulsion. One American was fined about 20,000 for forgetting his annual renewal, a few paid because they forgot their 90 day checks. Despite a handful of coups during that time, about the only thing that's changed is the increase in bank deposit (many many moons ago) and officials who are generally much easier to deal with than back before 2000. Two Americans from Udon had permanent residency, and both chose to deal with their final extended illnesses through AEK. I don't think either would have expected subsidized care through the general hospital....anymore than they'd have expected to have a say about the course of the government over many years of turbulence. We're expats here, not citizens. Push comes to shove, I doubt expats in any country would have much to say about government policies.
Well since I am not a resident of my home country, but reside in Thailand, and cannot claim to be a Thai resident, I remain in Limbo. It would just be nice to say I am a Thai resident, because in reality I am. In most Western countries a resident, not yet a citizen , again qualifies for government Healthcare if available.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 7, 2019, 10:15 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
September 7, 2019, 3:55 pm
parrot wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
Well since I am not a resident of my home country, but reside in Thailand, and cannot claim to be a Thai resident, I remain in Limbo. It would just be nice to say I am a Thai resident, because in reality I am. In most Western countries a resident, not yet a citizen , again qualifies for government Healthcare if available.
In Canada you have to be a permanent resident to qualify for medical, work or go to school. It takes a bit of cash and about 1 to 2 years to get. Thailands government medical was developed to help the poorer Thais and was never intended for non Thais and if you think about it seems right.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 8, 2019, 5:50 am

I think we are looking at this the wrong way !
We all have a choice where we receive medical treatment . Most Thai people do not , and as stated the health service was established here for the Thai people , not guests , permanent or otherwise .
I know a guy who constantly brags about how much pension he gets from his home country every month , and im talking 6 figures in Baht every month .
His wife , child , and himself have all needed medical treatment this year that has involved stays in hospitals , yet dispite his income , all have used Udon general , because hes too tight to pay for private health care .
So how else does the Thai government legislate for people like him , other than set up a few rules to protect its population from users and abusers , who think its their god given right to take a hospital bed from a destitute elderly Thai .

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 8, 2019, 11:51 am

jai yen yen wrote:
September 7, 2019, 10:15 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
parrot wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
In Canada you have to be a permanent resident to qualify for medical, work or go to school. It takes a bit of cash and about 1 to 2 years to get. Thailands government medical was developed to help the poorer Thais and was never intended for non Thais and if you think about it seems right.
Your wife receives free healthcare in Canada, however if you moved to Thailand to live with your Thai wife you would not. There is the difference.

Before moving to Thailand my wife visited me in Canada on a visitor visa, upon landing I was told she had healthcare coverage because we were married.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 8, 2019, 3:44 pm

1. Every country is different.

2. "Expecting the unexpected" should have been baked into any decision to relocate to Thailand. That's why I lived here part-time for four years before finally pulling the trigger and living here full time.

3. Another variable in all of this is never to feel ENTITLED to anything just because you're here and your home country does it differently.

4. There are some things that cannot be controlled that will cause major shifts in quality of life and day-to-day existence. Do the best you can with what you've got and do what's best for you.

5. See number 1.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » September 8, 2019, 5:25 pm

Ahhh paradise.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 8, 2019, 10:20 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
September 8, 2019, 11:51 am
jai yen yen wrote:
September 7, 2019, 10:15 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
parrot wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
Your wife receives free healthcare in Canada, however if you moved to Thailand to live with your Thai wife you would not. There is the difference.

Before moving to Thailand my wife visited me in Canada on a visitor visa, upon landing I was told she had healthcare coverage because we were married.
I live in B.C. and healthcare just became free recently, my Thai wife could not get healthcare even though we were married until she became a permanent resident. I could not even buy it for her. The next step is citizenship which entitles a person to vote and does not have to be renewed like permanent residency. I imagine if you were a Thai citizen you would qualify for government sponsored medical similar to Canada.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 9, 2019, 7:14 am

But most of us are not in , or from Canada , and this thread started with the dual pricing of Thai health care .

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 9, 2019, 8:20 am

saint wrote:
September 9, 2019, 7:14 am
But most of us are not in , or from Canada , and this thread started with the dual pricing of Thai health care .
Well I guess the question is. Will this dual pricing increase the health insurance rates expats are currently paying ?? If not, on issue really.
Last edited by newtovillagelife on September 9, 2019, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 9, 2019, 9:09 am

. . .
If you choose to be uninsured, you are on your own dime.
Just wondering when that has never been the case for someone not entitled to free public heath care . . .
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “Health & Beauty”