Best congee (rice soup)?

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Best congee (rice soup)?

Post by fredwilliams » January 11, 2020, 4:18 am

Where is the best "jok" rice porridge in UT now?

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Best congee (rice soup)?

Post by parrot » January 11, 2020, 8:22 am

Across the street from the satellite post office on Srisuk Rd. Been there for decades.
ร้านข้าวเปียก

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 11, 2020, 9:10 am

Don't know the name of the restaurant, but here's a map with a red arrow indicating the location. This place is really popular with the early morning crowd, and the food is excellent. Click on the map to enlarge.
Attachments
Rice Soup.PNG
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » January 13, 2020, 3:26 am

Thanks, Parrot and Semper.

Always a joy to be in the company of fellow food lovers!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 14, 2020, 10:24 am

ข้าวเปียก สาขา2 is on Phon Pisai, about 100 m from the Udon Dutsadi traffic lights on the south side. There's a lady has the big jok and thick noodle pots out the front for the early morning breakfast commuters. You can opt to have the chewy pig bits in it or otherwise. Outside of that, the restaurant has the usual daily noodle fair but closes after lunch.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » January 14, 2020, 1:55 pm

This rice dish interested me as I prepare all my meals in the U.S. So I proceeded to search the internet for recipes for Congee. Basic Congee preparation is very simple. You boil rice in water for about 30 to 50 minutes, paying close attention and stirring constantly so that the rice does not stick and burn at the bottom of the pot and you get the consistency that you prefer. Salt is generally added. The rice is usually rinsed a few times before cooking.

HOWEVER: none of the dozen or so videos I viewed kept to this simple recipe. They all had additional ingredients and some variations on the cooking process. Chicken was a common choice for a meat ingredient though there were others. A variety of spices, herbs, and sauces were used. One used left-over cooked rice. To me the oddest ingredient was a 100-year old egg.

A Thai cook recommended using broken rice, advising that the broken rice was cheaper and cooked faster. She also added two runny poached eggs as a finishing touch.

One or two used brown rice advising that it was more nutritious than the usual polished white rice. That appealed to me.

So, will any two people agree upon which rice soup (aka Congee) is best for everyone?
Last edited by TJ on January 14, 2020, 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 14, 2020, 2:08 pm

McD
Attachments
McD PorkPoridge.png

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 14, 2020, 8:41 pm

mak wrote:
January 14, 2020, 2:08 pm
McD
Thats a crappy picture Gus .. id rather eat one of Daos old shoes again

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 14, 2020, 8:43 pm

Dm likes rice soup with fish as a first choice Moo second but the famous and well patronaged Duck noodle shop opposite my office does both excellently , cheap as chios n onls a stones throw away ... i also always order a side of deep fried fish strips purely cos im a fat bastard.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”