Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by Doodoo » April 30, 2020, 9:20 pm

Thanks iPa
Stay tuned

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 30, 2020, 9:27 pm

It will be on the 6th and thank you, I’m not too worried, we can always celebrate at a later date when all this is behind us (I hope). The reasoning behind the ban is sound if it were adhered to, it makes sense to keep people apart because there less chance of passing the virus on but what I think is a bit daft (if I’m understanding this Right?) is that my wife and I will have to sit apart in a restaurant?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

kris
udonmap.com

Post by kris » April 30, 2020, 9:38 pm

tamada wrote:
April 30, 2020, 4:39 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
April 30, 2020, 3:59 pm
am I missing something here? apart from stopping a few small groups of lads/lassies sitting outside a ma/pa shop for an hour after work and having a beer, what are they stopping? They can still go and sit in an outdoor restaurant for the hour so it cant be a "social distancing" thing, bars/Kareoke/entertainment areas are closed so it cant be that, so what are they gaining from having a ban?
Herd immunity?

For the Provincial Governors I mean. If they all ban it then nobody can get pilloried for having a random death that will be inextricably linked to the fact that he relaxed the provincial plebs piss rations too soon.

Cunning lot these guvner's. Head well below the parapet and arse well covered at all times.
and their personal fridges stocked no doubt

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 30, 2020, 9:55 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 30, 2020, 9:27 pm
It will be on the 6th and thank you, I’m not too worried, we can always celebrate at a later date when all this is behind us (I hope). The reasoning behind the ban is sound if it were adhered to, it makes sense to keep people apart because there less chance of passing the virus on but what I think is a bit daft (if I’m understanding this Right?) is that my wife and I will have to sit apart in a restaurant?

Unfortunately Vince TIT so there was never really any chance that it would be adhered to was there?
I'm on me tod tonight coz I didnt want to go to a birthday do in the village (too old & pre existing conditions)
Something tells me that there will more than likely be six people sitting on one straw mat drinking & eating rather than dozens of straw mats 6ft apart

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 30, 2020, 9:59 pm

But is my presumption right, one person to a table? Fa thinks so.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 30, 2020, 10:11 pm

My guess, and it is only a guess is that it will be one person per table for the small square or round tables, but one each end of the large rectangular (5ft long) tables or if they push 2 x small square tables together

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 30, 2020, 11:15 pm

However restaurants manage their seating n table arrangements .. will the rules be followed by all and it be viable to open and make any profit when all overheads are figured in . ??
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » May 1, 2020, 7:10 am

This article in todays Bangkok Post says it all.

Apparently Thailand is the only country in the world which has banned alcohol sales.

Where did the clown who instigated it get the idea that it will prevent the spread of the Virus ???.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/pos ... -no-answer

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 1, 2020, 7:23 am

I think it’s more about discouraging groups of people although from what I’ve seen locally most have already bought their bottles of whiskey and they just dash off to the mom and pop shows for soda like they used to beers. One thing they don’t seem to be concentrating on is groups of people all dipping into the same bowls of food with their spoons, surely that’s far more dangerous?
Last edited by vincemunday on May 1, 2020, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 1, 2020, 7:24 am

cant offer an argument against anything in that link Mike ..

Im a firm believer the government are now using the restrictions in a manner to seem to be gradually easing things very slightly whilst shifting the emphasis on maintaining a total and firm grip on the population to prevent progressive factions taking hold and turning against them politically .. in short making a popular revolution difficult by keeping the peasants firmly in there place for as long as possible..

The big brewers will NOT be happy for sure and its costing the government millions billions in lost revenue.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 1, 2020, 7:30 am

vincemunday wrote:
April 30, 2020, 9:27 pm
Vince, yesterday there was 7 (reported) new cases in the country formally known as LOS. All in the Bangkok, Krabi and Phuket areas, even I have difficulty explaining the logic in a Nation wide lockdown and the only booze ban in the developed nations(Africa cannot be included) to my family up here in Udon that has had no (reported) infections for more than 28 days. The Generals are doing a really good job of preventing the spread of happiness.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 8:26 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 30, 2020, 11:15 pm
However restaurants manage their seating n table arrangements .. will the rules be followed by all and it be viable to open and make any profit when all overheads are figured in . ??
Appearances DM? Not the first business to try and look busy when the reality was otherwise. Some nights at the TAP, it would look like it was absolutely heaving to the casual, saint-like observer driving by and seeing the impressive line up of Benz's and Beemers and others. In reality, there was me, JD and Col and maybe 4 real customers sharing the hors d'oeuvres in the posh bit.

One time on push-back for an early evening flight from NOLA to Houston, the captain welcomed us onboard the half-empty Continental flight and asked if we all could quickly change seats to sit on the left side as we would be taxiing past the American terminal, "and we want them to think we're full."

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 8:34 am

pal52 wrote:
May 1, 2020, 7:10 am
This article in todays Bangkok Post says it all.

Apparently Thailand is the only country in the world which has banned alcohol sales.

Where did the clown who instigated it get the idea that it will prevent the spread of the Virus ???.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/pos ... -no-answer
South Africa has banned booze so Thailand isn't the only one.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 8:38 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 1, 2020, 7:24 am
cant offer an argument against anything in that link Mike ..

Im a firm believer the government are now using the restrictions in a manner to seem to be gradually easing things very slightly whilst shifting the emphasis on maintaining a total and firm grip on the population to prevent progressive factions taking hold and turning against them politically .. in short making a popular revolution difficult by keeping the peasants firmly in there place for as long as possible..

The big brewers will NOT be happy for sure and its costing the government millions billions in lost revenue.
Maybe the "big brewers" have been otherwise compensated, this being Thailand and all.

But the dent in the government's coffers will be significant. However, these are soldiers and their sycophants running the fruit stand now and economics don't matter much.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 1, 2020, 8:41 am

tamada wrote:
May 1, 2020, 8:26 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 30, 2020, 11:15 pm
Appearances DM? Not the first business to try and look busy when the reality was otherwise. Some nights at the TAP, it would look like it was absolutely heaving to the casual, saint-like observer driving by and seeing the impressive line up of Benz's and Beemers and others. In reality, there was me, JD and Col and maybe 4 real customers sharing the hors d'oeuvres in the posh bit.

One time on push-back for an early evening flight from NOLA to Houston, the captain welcomed us onboard the half-empty Continental flight and asked if we all could quickly change seats to sit on the left side as we would be taxiing past the American terminal, "and we want them to think we're full."
Arrr its not always about customer footfall Tam .. its what they spend .. our chosen target market BACK THEN ..was low footfall high spend REGULAR THAI PATRONS which made us a tidy leaving with limited fuss and effort thus allowing DM to focus on the main wholesale bizz.

Cant comment on the Tap or other similar places in Udon as been mostly up the jungle until very recently and the C19 stuff

My point was and still is .. seating regs reducing the number of patrons combined with lost revenue on booze sales will POSSIBLY IMO make it borderline if a restaurant can function and at best break even during these times ..the same as many stopping doing take away as Grab n Panda take such a huge % it left it tight for the vendor.

How long have you had your business in Thailand Tammy you sound very experienced in the matter ??

DM

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 1, 2020, 8:45 am

Theres three posts by the resident forum know all which proves my point . So thank you .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 1, 2020, 10:32 am

I read what DM stated reference control but we are forgetting the other aspect relating to Alcohol Ban, there are less Vehicular accidents which in turn results in LESS Medical staff being used outside Hospitals to deal with the injured or even the dead, less time spent by the Police Investigating these accidents ( if that is what you call what they do investigation ) , less of everything traumatic , I am sure if you did the stats you will find maybe less income through Booze sales but not so much needed as less Drunk Drivers or other problems relating to drink .Maybe their eyes have been opened as to the damage drink does to the economy. Just a thought.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 1, 2020, 10:38 am

I truly hope the powers that be see one of your posts one day Paul.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » May 1, 2020, 10:44 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 1, 2020, 10:32 am
I read what DM stated reference control but we are forgetting the other aspect relating to Alcohol Ban, there are less Vehicular accidents which in turn results in LESS Medical staff being used outside Hospitals to deal with the injured or even the dead, less time spent by the Police Investigating these accidents ( if that is what you call what they do investigation ) , less of everything traumatic , I am sure if you did the stats you will find maybe less income through Booze sales but not so much needed as less Drunk Drivers or other problems relating to drink .Maybe their eyes have been opened as to the damage drink does to the economy. Just a thought.
Well as I have stated in my previous post, I am sure alcohol consumption in Thailand is responsible for far more deaths, than the Wuhan Flu.

As far as opening their eyes, well I am not sure they give a s##t, or would even recognize the correlation.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”