Alcohol sales ban!

General Udon Thani topics only!
Post Reply
User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3678
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by vincemunday » May 1, 2020, 10:53 am

I’m sure they do care, it’s very difficult to control people who just won’t listen or abide by the law. We know a traffic cop here in Udon and he’s even sought advice from police in the U.K. the problem is he doesn’t have the laws here yet to enforce things how he’d like to, they definitely 100% know that it’s a huge problem. Should they bring in the points system which is something they’re considering it might make a difference, the problem here is of course that people will still drive with no insurance and no license.


The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1452
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by AlexO » May 1, 2020, 10:56 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 1, 2020, 10:32 am
I read what DM stated reference control but we are forgetting the other aspect relating to Alcohol Ban, there are less Vehicular accidents which in turn results in LESS Medical staff being used outside Hospitals to deal with the injured or even the dead, less time spent by the Police Investigating these accidents ( if that is what you call what they do investigation ) , less of everything traumatic , I am sure if you did the stats you will find maybe less income through Booze sales but not so much needed as less Drunk Drivers or other problems relating to drink .Maybe their eyes have been opened as to the damage drink does to the economy. Just a thought.
And it might not be because of less traffic on the roads due to nearly everything being closed down, no one driving to work etc, or maybe young Somchai does not have the money to pay the fines for racing his souped up bike through the soi's. No doubt that alcohol (or lack of it) is a contributing factor but that cannot make up for the lack of driving skills or connected brain cells that play a large part in the cause of accidents here.

User avatar
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com
Posts: 1463
Joined: December 3, 2011, 10:14 am

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by newtovillagelife » May 1, 2020, 11:00 am

vincemunday wrote:
May 1, 2020, 10:53 am
I’m sure they do care, it’s very difficult to control people who just won’t listen or abide by the law. We know a traffic cop here in Udon and he’s even sought advice from police in the U.K. the problem is he doesn’t have the laws here yet to enforce things how he’d like to, they definitely 100% know that it’s a huge problem. Should they bring in the points system which is something they’re considering it might make a difference, the problem here is of course that people will still drive with no insurance and no license.
Who cares?? Not the majority of people in this country. Most people here are uneducated and irresponsible.

P.S.
People that don't listen and abide by the law sounds like you are describing 'uncivilized savages'.

User avatar
vincemunday
udonmap.com
Posts: 3678
Joined: December 11, 2014, 11:36 pm
Location: Udon Thani ex North Stifford and Ramsgate
Contact:

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by vincemunday » May 1, 2020, 11:09 am

I certainly wouldn’t consider or talk about Thai people in the same manner as some seem to, unfortunately education here costs money and it might have escaped one or two people’s attentions that it’s some family’s daily goal to earn enough to eat, when you’re that poor a degree in physics probably doesn’t matter that much. However, I’ll go with irresponsible, drinking and driving, driving recklessly, no crash helmets, no license, no insurance etc how could I disagree?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tammakhun
udonmap.com
Posts: 69
Joined: November 25, 2009, 4:16 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tammakhun » May 1, 2020, 11:18 am

vincemunday wrote:
May 1, 2020, 7:23 am
they don’t seem to be concentrating on is groups of people all dipping into the same bowls of food with their spoons
Actually, they are addressing this. They have created multiple government funded commercials trying to encourage people to use their own spoon because of covid. Each is lame but attempt to be funny and is Thai humor. There is also published infographics and has been mentioned many times in Dr Taweesin regular videos. There is a big push on trying to get people to change eating habits. Not that all are listening, but it for sure has been addressed as part of the push for social distancing.
Last edited by tammakhun on May 1, 2020, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com
Posts: 1463
Joined: December 3, 2011, 10:14 am

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by newtovillagelife » May 1, 2020, 11:23 am

tammakhun wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:18 am
vincemunday wrote:
May 1, 2020, 7:23 am
they don’t seem to be concentrating on is groups of people all dipping into the same bowls of food with their spoons
Actually they are are addressing this. They have created multiple (lame but attempt to be funny and is Thai humor) commericals trying to encourage people to use their own spoon because of covid.
Why would you have to teach people 'common sense' ?? How were these people raised?

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 8370
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 11:26 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:23 am
tammakhun wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:18 am
vincemunday wrote:
May 1, 2020, 7:23 am
they don’t seem to be concentrating on is groups of people all dipping into the same bowls of food with their spoons
Actually they are are addressing this. They have created multiple (lame but attempt to be funny and is Thai humor) commericals trying to encourage people to use their own spoon because of covid.
Why would you have to teach people 'common sense' ?? How were these people raised?
Farang common sense not same-same Thai common sense.

Farang loo-mahk.

minimiglia
udonmap.com
Posts: 449
Joined: January 31, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by minimiglia » May 1, 2020, 11:27 am

Thai no have common sense???

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 13502
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by stattointhailand » May 1, 2020, 11:32 am

minimiglia wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:27 am
Thai no have "common" sense???
but have very good "Hi So" sense

User avatar
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com
Posts: 1463
Joined: December 3, 2011, 10:14 am

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by newtovillagelife » May 1, 2020, 11:34 am

What are they taught in the Temples? To be an irresponsible adult?

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 8370
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 11:37 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 1, 2020, 10:32 am
I read what DM stated reference control but we are forgetting the other aspect relating to Alcohol Ban, there are less Vehicular accidents which in turn results in LESS Medical staff being used outside Hospitals to deal with the injured or even the dead, less time spent by the Police Investigating these accidents ( if that is what you call what they do investigation ) , less of everything traumatic , I am sure if you did the stats you will find maybe less income through Booze sales but not so much needed as less Drunk Drivers or other problems relating to drink .Maybe their eyes have been opened as to the damage drink does to the economy. Just a thought.
I haven't seen any recent official stats or even comments that suggest that highway mayhem has been reduced. Doesn't mean there hasn't been so always interested to see a citation of such. I mean it is a logical assumption along with Songkran being canceled that less people died but since when has farang logic logic applied in Thailand? When it comes to the greater percentage of road traffic accidents in Thailand, the police are invisible and it's the foundation body snatchers that are directing traffic, scooping up the bits and smiling at the camera, no? Investigations?

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 8370
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 11:38 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:34 am
What are they taught in the Temples? To be an irresponsible adult?
Magic numbers?

tammakhun
udonmap.com
Posts: 69
Joined: November 25, 2009, 4:16 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tammakhun » May 1, 2020, 11:44 am

tamada wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:37 am
I haven't seen any recent official stats or even comments that suggest that highway mayhem has been reduced. Doesn't mean there hasn't been so always interested to see a citation of such.
Image

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12187
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by jackspratt » May 1, 2020, 11:56 am

Just returned from Big C in Ban Dung.

Alcohol section is still tied off, and the guy I spoke to said it will stay that way until the end of this month.

He kindly suggested I try the Mom & Pop places. :D

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 8370
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tamada » May 1, 2020, 12:01 pm

tammakhun wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:44 am
tamada wrote:
May 1, 2020, 11:37 am
I haven't seen any recent official stats or even comments that suggest that highway mayhem has been reduced. Doesn't mean there hasn't been so always interested to see a citation of such.
Image
Nice, new website, thanks. Unfortunately, the Songkran 7-days of death stats for this year aren't available yet. However, a nice project moving forward.

http://www.thairsc.com/

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12187
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by jackspratt » May 1, 2020, 12:05 pm

Well hasn't this turned into a big, fat "bash the Thais" thread.

tammakhun
udonmap.com
Posts: 69
Joined: November 25, 2009, 4:16 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by tammakhun » May 1, 2020, 12:20 pm

tamada wrote:
May 1, 2020, 12:01 pm
Unfortunately, the Songkran 7-days of death stats for this year aren't available yet. However, a nice project moving forward.
For 10-16 April 2020

Road accidents down to 1,307 - from 3,338 cases in 2019 (-60.84%)
Road deaths down to 167 - from 386 cases in 2019 (-56.74%)

Source: According to the Ministry of Interior’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM)

Ref: https://www.thaienquirer.com/12085/less ... -lockdown/

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 6343
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 1, 2020, 12:05 pm
Well hasn't this turned into a big, fat "bash the Thais" thread.
Twood appear so Jack .. dont tell me you expected any different .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com
Posts: 1463
Joined: December 3, 2011, 10:14 am

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by newtovillagelife » May 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 1, 2020, 12:05 pm
Well hasn't this turned into a big, fat "bash the Thais" thread.
The government of Thailand has no faith in its citizens to be law abiding, or act responsibly (civilized).

So it is what it is.

User avatar
jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12187
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Alcohol sales ban!

Post by jackspratt » May 1, 2020, 12:36 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 1, 2020, 12:21 pm
jackspratt wrote:
May 1, 2020, 12:05 pm
Well hasn't this turned into a big, fat "bash the Thais" thread.
Twood appear so Jack .. dont tell me you expected any different .
We can all live in hope, Jon.

After all, it's not just Thais who are throwing their girlfriends off balconies, or bashing and stabbing them with pool cues.

Sounds pretty irresponsible for supposedly civilised people. :-k

Post Reply

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”