Thai food

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
K1w1nev
udonmap.com

Thai food

Post by K1w1nev » September 28, 2020, 8:47 am

I've been living in BAN DUNG Thailand now for coming up 5 years and i've yet to find any thai any of the food they always rave about to me it's just crap cooked in filthy kitchens and i end up on the shitter for two days if i even try a mouthful i hate the ---- i cook my own my question is how do other farangs get on.

timmy
udonmap.com

Re: Thai food

Post by timmy » September 28, 2020, 9:02 am

best thing i can think of is buy yourself ticket back to where you came from , or if they dont want you back .
buy a house next door to " Mc D " or " KFC " just a thought ...

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 28, 2020, 9:13 am

Here at the house I eat 99% Thai Every so often get a Burger or some Indian Curry oh and Bacon and eggs

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 28, 2020, 9:13 am

maybe if you would have located more civilized you would be better ?, but i think the same as timmy , maybe you don't belong here? whiners enough here who are not able to adapt , i have been here almost 20 years eating almost everything of thai food anywhere , and yes sometimes results in an complete internal flushing of my system :D ,all depending how (over)protective you are and becoming sensitive to many things instead of building up your immunity system...
all depending from person to person of course...so another solution for you ...eat at home?...
or maybe you can consult with dui dui how to become 93 :lol: , ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 28, 2020, 9:14 am

Loads ov options depending on budget and if you have transport to do a weekly shop further afield , makro , Tops , villa n c2mu in udon offer plenty of ingredients fir cook at home meals or even micronwave ready made meals ..
With regard to Thai /isaan food .. i use a few places regular in Udon n Buriram.without any probs with the squits .. from.noodle shops to a weelly spicy food restaurant ...only things i stay well clear ov is balar n badak .. horrible stuff should be banned or carry a health warning at least .

Get potaties n do jacket spuds adding any topping baked beans , chilli cc ,
Soup n bread roll
Egg n bacon butties
Meat pies

If you wanna just eat Thai food then try a few different dushes until.you find the ones that dont give u the sh8ts ..or as timmy suggest move to live near a fast food joint .

I doubt getting the runs is to do.with a dirty kitchenmore your expat digestive system.reacting to over spicy food or some ingredients used in the dishes .

Dm... fat bastard
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 28, 2020, 9:28 am

I eat about 95% Thai food and despite being married to DM's future missus who just happens to be a superb Thai cook, we eat out almost every day and even after having what would be called a weak stomach the only time I've ever been really ill was after eating at Sizzler's and 7eleven. People are being quite harsh with you, I have to agree about hygiene, it's basically non existent, I'm fairly highly qualified in hygiene having taken C&G (City and Guilds) approved courses and what I see sometimes absolutely horrifies me yet no one ever seems to get ill, bizarre really.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 28, 2020, 9:29 am

Some people's digestive systems can't tolerate monosodium glutamate which unfortunately is over-used in most restaurants and also by doting Thai spouses who are rubbish cooks. Also, a friend of mine hated Thai food when the reality was he didn't like pak-chee (cilantro) which is a very commonly used herb but it's not in ALL Thai dishes. Once he ( and his wife) worked that out and chose dishes that didn't use it, his Thai dining became less of a challenge.

But some westerners do have broad intolerance to any Asian food. One of the American field engineers I worked with got sick in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and even after eating at the squeaky clean hawkers food market in Singapore. I had to take over from him on an assignment to Mexico so fragile was his bowel. He ended up doing only domestic trips after that.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 28, 2020, 9:41 am

Good day. Mr K1w ... on what do you survive ? Have a nice safe day.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 28, 2020, 10:03 am

vincemunday wrote:
September 28, 2020, 9:28 am
I eat about 95% Thai food and despite being married to DM's future missus who just happens to be superb in every way and so lucky she will.one day be with the very handsome slim. DM ..
Thanks Vince ..
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 28, 2020, 10:30 am

^ if you had added suave and debonair I'd have suffered it but slim...
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » September 28, 2020, 10:30 am

kopkei wrote:
September 28, 2020, 9:13 am
maybe if you would have located more civilized you would be better ?, but i think the same as timmy , maybe you don't belong here? whiners enough here who are not able to adapt , i have been here almost 20 years eating almost everything of thai food anywhere , and yes sometimes results in an complete internal flushing of my system :D ,all depending how (over)protective you are and becoming sensitive to many things instead of building up your immunity system...
all depending from person to person of course...so another solution for you ...eat at home?...
or maybe you can consult with dui dui how to become 93 :lol: , ;)
Free of charge..
*Drink alot of water.
*Listen to your body,it will teach you alot of what it like and not like..everyone is diffrent.
*Eat "clean"food as much as you can.
*Easy on the Beer/Alcohol/Smoking,last one..full stop if you can.
*Exercise/Meditation makes you abel to listen to your innerself..Find what works for you.
*Be thankfull every morning you wake up healthy and ready for whatever life throws at you.

*DO EVERYTHING ABOVE AND IN YOUR LIFE WHITH MODERATION.

Have a great day.God bless..//DD..:-)

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 28, 2020, 10:41 am

K1w1nev wrote:
September 28, 2020, 8:47 am
I've been living in BAN DUNG Thailand now for coming up 5 years and i've yet to find any thai any of the food they always rave about to me it's just crap cooked in filthy kitchens and i end up on the shitter for two days if i even try a mouthful i hate the **** i cook my own my question is how do other farangs get on.
When in Udon Thani, I cook my own 50% of the time and then go to places like Steve's T Bar and the Gallery Guest House, the others for the remaining 50%.

You should try Steve's T Bar - he also does take away and its not expensive. There are quite a few well run expat places to eat in Udon Thani, you just have to look around and try them, to find the ones you like best

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » September 28, 2020, 10:56 am

K1w1nev wrote:
September 28, 2020, 8:47 am
I've been living in BAN DUNG Thailand now for coming up 5 years and i've yet to find any thai any of the food they always rave about to me it's just crap cooked in filthy kitchens and i end up on the shitter for two days if i even try a mouthful i hate the **** i cook my own my question is how do other farangs get on.
Just over a year full time outside of Udon, I feel for you. Lucky for me my TW of 16 years is a great cook and enjoys baking, too. (About 60 banana muffins from scratch yesterday, but I have not eaten them all... yet.) We have both indoor and outdoor kitchens, and the outdoor one can sometimes cause some head shakeing from me. I also avoid the dishes with pla ra, even though our family does not use the raw stuff, which sometimes has worms!

Here are some of the things I eat, maybe some ideas for you?

Mrs. BU steams sticky rice every morning for all of us, and will usually lightly fry some pork with onions and garlic (usually bought fresh butchered from the pork truck that comes by). A frequent item is an omellete, folded scrambled eggs really, with some parsely, onion, and a tiny splash of fish oil for some saltiness. These items are usually prepared early and covered for consumption at any time during the day. HP or bbq sauce is good for dipping the pork, egg and rice!

After my brewed coffee and a bit of chocolate, I sometimes have either Nestle corn flakes, banana, raisins, peanuts and cold boxed Foremost milk, or some microwaved oats as mentioned above.

I like somtam, but have given up eating the family version. They need their fermented fish sauce and crab! They lady down the street makes a nice papaya salad without those called (som)tam Thai. With 1 or 2 chilis, tomatoes, a few tiny dried shrimp, and peanuts,it makes a nice cool salad for a light lunch or afternoon snack. A can of tuna, a bit of mayo and mustard, a few pickles, some cheese on bread with a side of Lays chips is a good option, too. ( I now keep bread in the freezer for weeks at a time, as I don’t eat much. When it thaws, it’s good as new!) Buy Lays family size on Lazada for cheap; I have a decent sized pantry that I keep stocked by shopping every couple of weeks.

Some nice filling dinner meals are pork stew with lots of potatos and carrots done in 20 minutes in the pressure cooker, spaghetti based on a jar of Prego and a big can of mushrooms, meat optional. If TW makes a Thai meal, she will usually put some aside for me before finishing it up by making it Issan Style, if you get my drift. Some dishes, like curry, I eat right along with the Family.

I could go on, (roasted chicken from the market will make burritos for a couple of days!) but I am past my rambling limit! Hope you get it figured out! :D

Funny thing is, kfc is the only food that sends my belly gurglng!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 28, 2020, 1:33 pm

After 10 years in Udon, I can only remember one time that I got sick from local food, and I still can't trace the episode to any one particular place that day. Western fast-food joints are the worst for me, especially KFC. I recently read where KFC put more MSG in their food than any other fast-food franchise. MSG is the worst stuff on the planet, so don't believe all the positive comments you read about it. The tobacco industry paid researchers to lie about the dangers of cigarettes for years, so when the industry goes out of their way to convince you that MSG is not unhealthy for you, you'd better be suspicious. You could very well be allergic to MSG and just can't connect the dots. Me, my wife and her daughter are allergic to it. I carry around a little business card to pass out to shops/cooks which says that I am allergic to MSG and may die if they put it in my food. Doesn't work every time, and the cooks still slip it in because they think their food won't taste good without it, but works most of the time.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » September 28, 2020, 1:43 pm

Also, don't drink tap water, stick to bottled. You can get a water dispenser and have the big bottles delivered to avoid plastic waste.

In my village the tap water comes from a silo in the local school and, in the past, all sorts have been found in the pipes.
I went on to buy bottled water and once I educated the daughter that refilling them with tap water wasn't what I had in mind my stomach was in a much better state.
Food-wise I eat most Thai food but leave the Isaan stuff, like fermented fish, well alone. I also avoid MSG where possible, I find it gives me a headache.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » September 28, 2020, 2:19 pm

neeemu wrote:
September 28, 2020, 1:43 pm
Also, don't drink tap water, stick to bottled. You can get a water dispenser and have the big bottles delivered to avoid plastic waste.

In my village the tap water comes from a silo in the local school and, in the past, all sorts have been found in the pipes.
I went on to buy bottled water and once I educated the daughter that refilling them with tap water wasn't what I had in mind my stomach was in a much better state.
Food-wise I eat most Thai food but leave the Isaan stuff, like fermented fish, well alone. I also avoid MSG where possible, I find it gives me a headache.
..or get one of these......https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องกรองน้ำ-Cow ... gIwOPD_BwE

We paid cash,around 30.000Bath with 3 years service..change filters every 3 month...service excellent and so is the machine...worth every penny.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 28, 2020, 7:16 pm

I don't eat anything with that stinking plala in it. I REALLY hate puk chee. I also don't eat those little dried fish that have been dead for a LONG time. Other than that I eat mostly Thai food. I'm lucky that my wife is a good cook and she knows what I like. She knows that I don't like anything super spicy. Our drinking water is delivered and comes in the big plastic bottles.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 28, 2020, 8:48 pm

"Our drinking water is delivered and comes in the big plastic bottles."

That certainly doesnt mean it is safe for consumption

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 28, 2020, 9:33 pm

Drank about 50 litres of the stuff every week for the last 20 yrs and it hasn't killed me yet so it seems pretty safe to me

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 29, 2020, 5:12 am

I like simple Thai food ,the biggest issue I guess is fish sauce that gives me rashes. As for msg your out of luck in Thailand ,fish sauce,soy sauce have huge amounts of it in ,potatoes,tomatoes also high in glutamates. Peas ,beans you name it and it has glutamates in. Ironically you need to avoid anything that has ' natural flavorings' on the label .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Return to “Open Forum”