To water tank and pump or not?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ssp

To water tank and pump or not?

Post by ssp » October 27, 2005, 12:06 pm

I've recently rented a house, which I really like, but the water pressure stinks. It's two story, I'll be there for about 6 months. Is it worth it to get a water tank and pump, and if yes, any recommendations, and what needs to be done?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: To water tank and pump or not?

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 27, 2005, 12:25 pm

ssp wrote:I've recently rented a house, which I really like, but the water pressure stinks. It's two story, I'll be there for about 6 months. Is it worth it to get a water tank and pump, and if yes, any recommendations, and what needs to be done?
I assume you are on a reticulated (village) water supply. It's a matter of ecconomics. Buy and take it with you as you will need it elsewhere for sure. I use a accumulator pump assembly 3500Baht (from Tesco etc.) and 1500 litre blue moulded tank been 3 years so I can't remember the price but available from any hardware store. I just installed a toilet sisten ball valve into the tank and it is kept full no matter what the town water is doing. Water pressure is great all thru my 2 story home.
Piece of Piss.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 27, 2005, 1:31 pm

I would try an get the owner to get it installed. Thats what I did. So when the water comes no more, you have a tank full, and you can also get it filled for about 100 baht (I did this twice, long story). I think mine is 11,000 stainless steel which run around 7,000 baht, pump around 4,000 baht. Water has been off here for days and I think maybe three or four times. Then you need to get it plumbed and wired!

When brit moved from soi, he took his with him. I can't see doing that, for I would not rent without one already setup.

8)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 27, 2005, 1:33 pm

I would recommend buying a pump and tank because you're never going to get a decent water pressure from the government water supply. Take a look around any estate and you will notice that most of the houses have tanks and pumps. Sometimes the water can stop for days or slow down to a trickle and it can get very frustrating. The only time I have noticed an average water pressure is during the cold season when people take less showers and use less water.

There are some cheap pumps and plastic tanks in Global house on the eastern ring-road, they will deliver and fit it for under 1,000 baht.

Good Luck.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 27, 2005, 7:18 pm

Something else to think about is installation. The guy that did ours took some shorts cuts with the pipes leaving some areas exposed and a hazard walking around the area. The system works fine no complaints there, just the way he ran the pipes. I wasn't there to supervise and my wife really didn't no any better.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 27, 2005, 11:21 pm

Out at the farm all we have is a well with a small pump. Works OK but when I get ready to do the big move I was also thinking of the water tank on a tower for good water pressure. How high should the tower be to get and keep good water pressure? Also how big a tank for say 2 or 3 people living in a single story house?
Punish the Liver

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 27, 2005, 11:33 pm

Thai_1_on, this is only a suggestion. The tank on high platform has some issues that deal with safety in the long term.

1. they fall
2. they become dirty and a safe place for bacteria. Very hard to clean up there

As a suggestion, as stated above put tank on ground and put a pressure sensitive pump in line. This is just like the ones used in travel trailers. get a positive pressure of 2o to 40 psi. With tank on ground you can wash every once in a while

Another is put in a pressure tank and pump. These are usually cheap even in LOS. again the problems are they do get water logged every so often. As water is an issue I would still put in tanks as the guys suggested for reserve.

This is what i have seen over there and is only a suggestion. I am sure the guys there will reply more rightly.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 28, 2005, 1:08 am

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 28, 2005, 11:52 am

Out here in the sticks the water and the power go out in tandem so i have a Thai style cement water tank in one of the bathrooms.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 29, 2005, 10:39 am

Today is a good example why to have a water tank. TW comes and gets me, pump runs all the time, so I go look. Well she then tells me that Thai neighbor, told her earlier that the water was off. :shock:

Now you might wonder why we had no water, when we have a tank? Well I learned a lesson a few months back, when we really had no water. No one bothered to tell me, and the tank went dry.

So now I do not draw from the tank, I set it to fill tank and go into pump, so if the water goes off, I know it. Then I change it to fill tank and draw from tank into pump and then I conserve by not washing the tile, like I did before! :roll:

Weekly when cars get washed and outside tile gets washed I draw from tank, so that it does get changed a little weekly. Someone told me about some white stuff you can add to tank water, but I have not done it. Wonder how many days this will last, hmm todays saturday.

8)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 29, 2005, 11:35 am

The water is off here too and has been for the past 3 days. I've noticed the water truck visit a couple of houses on the estate to fill up their tanks, luckily I got their number just incase I need to fill mine up at any time.

If anyone needs the number of the water truck it's; 07 8592582 or 042 342148

I have a large tank out back which holds several thousand litres so it's good for a few days, I'm living alone so I don't use too much water, but if I had a partner and family then it would be more of a problem.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 29, 2005, 5:37 pm

Man from soi 1 stop by, he said he has not had water for 3 days! When he filled his tank, it cost him 220 baht, either bigger tank than mine or they went up! See how strange thing are here. Before it was soi 1 that had water and no one else. :roll:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 31, 2005, 10:54 am

Well it is Monday, water is still off! But I just checked my tank and it is full! :D

So in the evening when it trickles and TW fills some buckets, I guess the tank also gets replenished :D

or like I use to say about the German plumber on soi 1 "he pumps water from god" :lol: so maybe I am too!

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 31, 2005, 3:02 pm

The water is still off here too. My Thai friend called the water truck for me and they said it would cost 160bt to fill my tank.

The truck arrived and they filled my tank, once full they presented me with a bill for 300bt, I told him my friend said 160bt but he started waffling on about this and that and I really couldn't understand what he was trying to say, so to make life easier I just paid the bill.

I wonder what's happened to the water? The rain season has just ended so there must be a good supply of water in the resevoir. Maybe someone at the water company has forgotten to turn the tap back on LOL! TIT

valentine

Post by valentine » October 31, 2005, 3:19 pm

My experience is, no matter how high you put the storage tank, gravity feed will never be strong enough especially if you have electric water heater showers. You will have to put a second booster pump after the pump.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 31, 2005, 7:03 pm

valentine wrote:My experience is, no matter how high you put the storage tank, gravity feed will never be strong enough especially if you have electric water heater showers. You will have to put a second booster pump after the pump.
Thanks Valentine thats what I was wondering about.
Punish the Liver

Mr. Bean

water well

Post by Mr. Bean » November 2, 2005, 11:07 pm

Thai_1_On wrote:Out at the farm all we have is a well with a small pump. Works OK but when I get ready to do the big move I was also thinking of the water tank on a tower for good water pressure. How high should the tower be to get and keep good water pressure? Also how big a tank for say 2 or 3 people living in a single story house?
I also live in the country and what I did was have a man drill 300 feet not meters down. I have a two line pump and when all the wells go dry in the village i am the only one that has water. The norm for the village people is to drill or dig 20 meters down. By going down 300 feet I have spring wanter and you can drink it, which I do with no problems.

Our last dry spell everyones wells went dry. We had all the water we needed and the pressure never went down.

My 2 baht

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » November 3, 2005, 3:32 am

Good idea Oldman that justs adds to what my father in-law has planned for our farm. He told us that he was going to have a well drilled about 300 hundred down and that is great to hear that the water is drinkabe =D> . So do you have a tank to store the water in case of a power failuare?
Punish the Liver

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » November 3, 2005, 10:23 am

valentine wrote:My experience is, no matter how high you put the storage tank, gravity feed will never be strong enough especially if you have electric water heater showers. You will have to put a second booster pump after the pump.
If I was to go down the tank and pump route (at ground level) are you saying I would need two pumps - not just one > wowowow
or does it depend on the power of the first pump ?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 3, 2005, 7:38 pm

I think he is speaking of a 2 stage submersible pump. It is one pump. That is what a lot of folks in the sticks here in the US use. Then you use a pressure tank for the pressure in your house. These are easy to install and maintain. The most problem is a water logged pressure tank. There are two types of pressure tanks. One you have to drain dwom to about half way periododically so you can have air in the top part of tank. Water does not compress but the air will and that is your pressure medium. Some pressure tanks have an air bladder in them. Just like a tire you have to add a bit of air every once in a while.

The pump works on an inline pressure switch. Most folks set them at kick on pump at 35 to 40 PSI and off at 60 to 80 PSI. This is a good setting for most houses. if you have a lot of piping inside or outside or a large house you might want to set a bit higher due to the hydrolic pressure drop of the line.

Glad that they are digging deeper wells now. Tried to expain to TW family why to go deeper to no avail. General attitude was why spend money, we have water NOW. The deeper you go the better chance you will not have cloriform in your water and therfore drinkable. Let the good earth filter it for you.

Return to “House & Land”