2 brits Arrested in Pattaya For Steroid Exports to US.

Thailand news, views and comments
beer monkey
udonmap.com

2 brits Arrested in Pattaya For Steroid Exports to US.

Post by beer monkey » March 21, 2008, 11:41 pm

Two Britons arrested in Thailand after sting operation: police

3 hours ago

BANGKOK (AFP) — Two Britons were arrested Friday in the Thai seaside resort of Pattaya on charges of using the Internet to illegally export steroids to the United States, police said.

Police gave the names of the two detained men as Ashly Vincent Livingston, 45, and Edwin Richard Crawly, 44. They were arrested in a sting operation involving US anti-drug agents, police said.

The Britons were picked up on warrants issued by the United States and implemented in cooperation with the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

The men are set to be extradited to the United States as Thai police said they face no charges in the kingdom.

The Britons, who were living in Pattaya with their Thai wives, also had 40 million baht (1.2 million dollars) worth of their assets frozen, police said.

Livingston's wife was arrested on a separate Thai warrant for drugs charges, police added.

Livingston and Crawly set up an online store to sell steroids to customers in the United States. Steroids are legal in Thailand but are a controlled substance in the US.

Earlier this month, the DEA worked with Thai police on an elaborate sting operation to arrest alleged Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, who has been charged in New York with conspiracy to provide arms to terrorists.

Bout is being held in Thailand while prosecutors decide whether to bring him before a Thai court before extraditing him to the United States.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 21, 2008, 11:49 pm

Uum..... wonder how people would react if two Brits were deported to Iran from Thailand because they set up an internet site to export alcohol into Iran.... :shock: :shock:

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 22, 2008, 2:07 am

Why not just arrest the people in the States who illegally ordered and received the steroids under U.S. Law. Can't say I understand how the Thai could extradite a British national for violating a U.S. law for doing something that's completely legal in Thailand..
To spin this out a la' the earlier string... Would this be like the Thai government deploying law enforcement personnel to the States to work in conjunction with US. authorities to identify and extradite for prosecution someone accused of lese' majeste' in Thailand????
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 22, 2008, 9:57 am

As an observation (and not an "America bash"), I believe it must trouble many (thinking) people that the US has awarded to itself such extensive and unrivaled extraterritoriality for its laws.

In my opinion, wherever possible people should be prosecuted under the laws of the country where an offence is committed.

Where an offence exists, but is not enforced in particular countries (eg child prostitution) then I am happy that a country should be able to prosecute its own citizens.

If anyone is serving on a ship or taking a cruise in US waters, beware! - it seems to be an offence to engage in video voyeurism (18 U.S.C. 1801), or the seduction of a female passenger (18 U.S.C. 2198) :shock: :D

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » March 22, 2008, 10:04 am

jackspratt wrote: If anyone is serving on a ship or taking a cruise in US waters, beware! - it seems to be an offence to engage in video voyeurism (18 U.S.C. 1801), or the seduction of a female passenger (18 U.S.C. 2198) :shock: :D
But does it mean any female passenger or just USA women passengers?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 22, 2008, 2:43 pm

Do you need the name of a good lawyer, pompui? :D

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » March 23, 2008, 5:40 pm

i think they will find out that the stuff they where sending was thai stuff that they stopped making over 2 years ago well the factory did anywhay :shock:
i can just see the the guys in the gym sticking themselves with that crap made in a backstreet shop in thailand :lol: :lol: :lol:
takes me back to the 80.s when the muscle heads where growing tits bigger then my girlfriends :lol: :lol:

Return to “Thailand News”