200 Years of Friendship

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
mak
udonmap.com

200 Years of Friendship

Post by mak » February 27, 2018, 4:22 pm

In 2018 the U.S. Embassy will celebrate 200 years of friendship between the Kingdom of Thailand and the United States of America.
The centerpiece of this important and historic anniversary is the “Good and Great Friends Exhibition” which will be on display at the an individual Museum of Textiles in Bangkok. The exhibition is a collaboration between the Embassy, the Smithsonian and a number of museums in Thailand. The exhibit opens to the public on March 21, 2018, bringing together symbols of the 200-year friendship in the form of gifts exchanged between our countries over the span of our long partnership.
In case you are looking for something special to do during that period, a reason to travel to Bangkok or so, know that this event will be happening.

mak
udonmap.com

Re: 200 Years of Friendship

Post by mak » February 27, 2018, 4:35 pm

February 3, 1862

Abraham Lincoln,
President of the United States of America.

To His Majesty Somdetch Phra Paramendr Maha Mongut,

individual of Siam,

Great and Good Friend: I have received Your Majesty's two letters of the date of February 14th., 1861.

I have also received in good condition the royal gifts which accompanied those letters,---namely, a sword of costly materials and exquisite workmanship; a photographic likeness of Your Majesty and of Your Majesty's beloved daughter; and also two elephants' tusks of length and magnitude such as indicate that they could have belonged only to an animal which was a native of Siam.

Your Majesty's letters show an understanding that our laws forbid the President from receiving these rich presents as personal treasures. They are therefore accepted in accordance with Your Majesty's desire as tokens of your good will and friendship for the American People. Congress being now in session at this capital, I have had great pleasure in making known to them this manifestation of Your Majesty's munificence and kind consideration.

Under their directions the gifts will be placed among the archives of the Government, where they will remain perpetually as tokens of mutual esteem and pacific dispositions more honorable to both nations than any trophies of conquest could be.

I appreciate most highly Your Majesty's tender of good offices in forwarding to this Government a stock from which a supply of elephants might be raised on our own soil. This Government would not hesitate to avail itself of so generous an offer if the object were one which could be made practically useful in the present condition of the United States.

Our political jurisdiction, however, does not reach a latitude so low as to favor the multiplication of the elephant, and steam on land, as well as on water, has been our best and most efficient agent of transportation in internal commerce.

I shall have occasion at no distant day to transmit to Your Majesty some token of indication of the high sense which this Government entertains of Your Majesty's friendship.

Meantime, wishing for Your Majesty a long and happy life, and for the generous and emulous People of Siam the highest possible prosperity, I commend both to the blessing of Almighty God.

Your Good Friend, ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Washington, February 3, 1862.

By the President:

WILLIAM H. SEWARD, Secretary of State.
Annotation

Abraham Lincoln

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 27, 2018, 5:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 27, 2018, 7:16 pm

And the rest is Hollywood History et cetera, et cetera. et cetera

Return to “Open Forum”