ants and roaches

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
banpaeng
udonmap.com

ants and roaches

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 6:53 pm

If I was in the states I would not ask this as I know the answer.

I just rented a house in Udon and it has ants. I would like to spray the house to rid myself of ants and also make sure roaches don not show up. Does anyone know what type of spray to use and where to buy it. Also how often do you spray.

Thanks.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 6, 2006, 6:55 pm

did you read through this topic a few days ago something on here might help.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?t=2030
Can You Dig It Dug.?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: ants and roaches

Post by BKKSTAN » September 6, 2006, 7:10 pm

banpaeng wrote:If I was in the states I would not ask this as I know the answer.

I just rented a house in Udon and it has ants. I would like to spray the house to rid myself of ants and also make sure roaches don not show up. Does anyone know what type of spray to use and where to buy it. Also how often do you spray.

Thanks.
:) We don't have roach problem,but lots of tiny ants.I hate them.Tiniest bit of food anywhere and they appear within minutes.My wife just smiles as says ''it's going to rain''!
A few days ago,I was wiping the cooking counter,I see a white powdery substance at one end of the counter!I asked my wife,''what's that''?''Powder''!''What kind of powder''?''You know,Johnsons baby powder,stop ants!''

She is right,the ants don't even come close!But we still have just as many :lol:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 7:15 pm

Thanks BM and I have some of the chalk. When I built a house in the states I actually went around all the outside walls on the slab with the chalk before tey put up the walls. Don't know if it worked but did not have ants or roaches. Can't do that with this house as it will wash away on cleaning.

I need a spray with residual affect. I am going to Global or Home Mart tomorrow to look around but thought if I posted it here someone might be able to steer me to the good stuff.

Does anyone know where I can get some DDT. Before anyone gets there hackles up new studies have shown it to be safe and you can now buy it in some countries and I don't know about Thailand. One of these days the EPA will admit they banned it on faulty science. Go read the latest reports. Really quite interesting. Just google it. Only thing I can not find out is it legal in Thailand. Maybe if I had ask for clordane then I would be a bad boy. But if you know where I can get some let me know.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 6, 2006, 7:43 pm

In addition to the previous info about chalk and powder etc, you can also use the Pest Control companies, who come to spray under and around houses for termites. The same spray used around the house, up the walls, or under the eaves etc will certainly wipe out ants as well as termites, cockroaches, jingjoks etc.

With those companies you would probably have to pay 5-6000 baht maybe more for an annual contract, but you would then get a very thorough initial treatment of everything/everywhere, and then subsequent monthly or quarterly check-ups with re-sprays when necessary.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 7:49 pm

Arjay can you furnish a name in a PM or something so I can call them.

Thanks

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » September 6, 2006, 8:14 pm

try D-Lemonene spray,it dont kill them but sprayed around doorways ,kitchen units etc, they wont walk over the stuff,works well..

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 8:22 pm

Thanks Falang

Where did you buy it.

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » September 6, 2006, 8:26 pm

tops,big c etc ,most big supermarkets stock it..

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 8:27 pm

Thanks. Will do some looking tomorrow.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 6, 2006, 8:28 pm

Banpaeng, I've sent you a PM. :)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Keeping Ants away

Post by FrazeeDK » September 6, 2006, 8:31 pm

We picked up a Ant/Roach/Termite powder called, no lie.. ASWIN..
It comes in a tubular can with a tipped spout.. You sprinkle the powder all around the foundation of your house and the ants stay away.. It appears to work for several days a time.. The can's are yellow and red..
I believe we bought it at Big C but I couldn't find it there on Monday..
Dave

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » September 6, 2006, 8:35 pm

In Florida, we controlled the palmetto bugs (AKA giant flying cockroaches) by putting anoles (little lizards) in the hibiscus bushes around the house. You spray to kill live roaches in the house, then the lizards eat the larvae to control further infestation. Greenhouse/nurseries sold the lizards by the dozen.

Do the Thai lizards eat the roach larvae? I don't mind the lizards, but the roaches aren't welcome.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 8:40 pm

Really not having a problem with roaches. Have only seen one and it was dead. Have a few thokays (have other names for them) and ejims. Maybe they are controlling the roaches. But these damn sugar ants are a pain. I have killed a bunch but have a bunch to go. Figured if I sprayed for ants might as well do all.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 6, 2006, 8:41 pm

Sorry Sharra,

Thanks for your reply.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 6, 2006, 8:53 pm

Does anyone know where I can get some DDT. Before anyone gets there hackles up new studies have shown it to be safe and you can now buy it in some countries and I don't know about Thailand.
You must be kidding :shock: I sure hope it isn't legal with all the fruit I eat here :!: :(

Junkscience

Really not having a problem with roaches. Have only seen one and it was dead.

just turn on the kitchen light after 10pm, and watch them race around. Cheap entertainment, for an otherwise boring evening :!: :wink: Texas Size!

Welcome to Thailand :lol:

8)[/url]

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 7, 2006, 12:10 pm

Just went to home mart and they had spray concentrate and was able to buy a sprayer. Figured out my pint will make 40 liters. Shold do my house and half of Udon. :D

Will try the stuff and report back. Hope it works as sprayer and spray concentrate is B400 :roll:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 7, 2006, 12:23 pm

BP, Just don't breathe it in. Use a mask or something, and watch for wind direction and the like. :)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 7, 2006, 12:24 pm

banpaeng wrote:Just went to home mart and they had spray concentrate and was able to buy a sprayer. Figured out my pint will make 40 liters. Shold do my house and half of Udon. :D

Will try the stuff and report back. Hope it works as sprayer and spray concentrate is B400 :roll:
:) Will be looking forward to your report on the effectiveness of your spray.I tend to doubt that the ants can be gotten rid of during the rainy season!But,I am rooting for you!Chok Dee

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 8, 2006, 8:48 pm

Just wait to you see the sizes of the rats, and I thought they were big in NYC. They seem to stop by for a vist at night. You would think with all the snakes, that the rats would not survive to get that big!

8)

Return to “House & Land”