Australian federal politics

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 4201
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Australian federal politics

Post by GT93 » March 22, 2016, 12:15 pm

Oh dear. It's chaos again in Oz:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/turnbu ... nnvvv.html

"This election is between Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott. There's another bloke running for prime minister as well – someone named Bill Shorten, I think – but he's not the main game.
If Turnbull wins a double-dissolution election convincingly on July 2, Abbott will have to quit Parliament, like he should have when he lost the top job last September.
But if Abbott remains front and centre during the campaign – through leaks, public appearances and defences of his legacy like he's attempted already – then Turnbull will lose seats and blow a chance to control the Senate."


A NZ Tory radio jock takes the Greens' position on how NZ should appoint a Governor General:

"The Greens say it's time to change the Governor-General appointment process.

They want a more democratic process for appointing New Zealand's Governor-General - an appointment which should be confirmed by a super majority of Parliament. The Greens say that future appointments should rest on 75 per cent support of Parliament."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11609965

It would be such a small step to a republic if we had this process in place for the appointment of a GG. The GG would simply cease to be the Queen's representative and be the head of state herself. The Prime Minister recently said he didn't see NZ becoming a republic in his life time. He's probably right unless Australia makes the dash successfully. The PM is fairly young but not young enough for lilac shorts. Maybe a couple of more decades of the status quo.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 4201
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Australian federal politics

Post by GT93 » March 29, 2016, 11:26 am

A camera catches a blatant queue jumper off the east coast of Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... ts-my-wave

:D

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2354
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Australian federal politics

Post by Barney » March 29, 2016, 1:10 pm

GT93 wrote:A camera catches a blatant queue jumper off the east coast of Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... ts-my-wave

:D

GT you have been talking to yourself on this post since February 6, I'l join in........ that article is the biggest crock for a long time. Why do you and anyone else still care about him.
I didn't do history at school as it is boring most of the time, add politics and history and it is sleeping pill time for me...

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8761
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Australian federal politics

Post by wazza » March 29, 2016, 7:43 pm

Hold the FRONT Page !!

Hangers nomination for the Archies this year perhaps
Attachments
Suffer in Ya Jocks.jpg
555555555

Gabrielhat
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 13, 2016, 12:22 am
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Australian federal politics

Post by Gabrielhat » April 16, 2016, 12:32 am

From where Im sitting, Australian politics are slightly less confusing but just as hilarious as the stuff thats happening in the States.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 4201
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Australian federal politics

Post by GT93 » April 17, 2016, 2:14 pm

I hope you had a good Songkran Barney. I see Abbot has really knifed Bishop big time. He's helped orchestrate the dumping of a real Tory by the wettest of wets:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... o88zx.html

I say good riddance to Bronwyn. She was a shocker whatever her political colours. I guess Abbott in his strange political universe sees her helicopter ride as playing a big part in his downfall. He must be smiling this weekend. He still packs a powerful punch.

She must have been one of the most useless and biased Speakers in the Australian House of Representatives. Abbott was out to lunch putting her there. Oh Allah, she collects an enormous pension.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 4201
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Australian federal politics

Post by GT93 » May 8, 2016, 2:24 pm

Well, it's all on in Oz. I assume the respective political spin doctors have been studying Drumpf and how that might play out downunder.

One immigrant Aussie writer opined:

"People, our track record isn’t great. Last election we chose Tony Abbott. The election before that we didn’t choose anyone. And the election before that we chose Kevin Rudd.

It’s time to lift our game."

In my opinion both current principal would be PMs are many thousands of kilometres ahead of both Abbott and Rudd. I take it few tears will be shed for Palmer. The Australian election for the Senate usually holds great interest for followers of politics. I understand there's a special treat this year as all their bums are on the line and the electorate could throw some real weirdos into Canberra.

I recall reading some weeks ago that Jacqui Lambie is expected to get re-elected. She clearly wouldn't be impressed by Drumpf and the small man chat. Let the entertainment begin.

User avatar
Aardvark
udonmap.com
Posts: 5815
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

Australian federal politics

Post by Aardvark » May 9, 2016, 4:27 pm

Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....

ronan01
udonmap.com
Posts: 2227
Joined: February 15, 2007, 11:23 am
Location: PERTH, AUSTRALIA

Australian federal politics

Post by ronan01 » May 9, 2016, 5:38 pm

Aardvark wrote:Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....
Agreed. Dont mess with Super - was meant to provide a stable mechanism for retirement - that is no longer the case it seems.

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 4201
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Australian federal politics

Post by GT93 » May 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Well Ardie, the politics south of Canada has been great fun this year. Hopefully your mob can give us some fine moments as well.

Good cop, bad cop - Mr. Harbourside Mansion. Team Tony still seems the best show in town. :D

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2354
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Australian federal politics

Post by Barney » May 13, 2016, 2:44 pm

ronan01 wrote:
Aardvark wrote:Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....
Agreed. Dont mess with Super - was meant to provide a stable mechanism for retirement - that is no longer the case it seems.
Exactly Ronan01,
It is not a coincidence that the a..ewipes in Canberra have pushed my pension age out to 67, thereby forcing me and others to delve in and use up your super, when we had been programmed and planned way back to end the work life at 65.
There is not a stiff backbone amongst the whole lot.
They have certainly ensured the trough is full when they retire.

ronan01
udonmap.com
Posts: 2227
Joined: February 15, 2007, 11:23 am
Location: PERTH, AUSTRALIA

Australian federal politics

Post by ronan01 » May 13, 2016, 4:17 pm

Barney wrote:
ronan01 wrote:
Aardvark wrote:Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....
Agreed. Dont mess with Super - was meant to provide a stable mechanism for retirement - that is no longer the case it seems.
Exactly Ronan01,
It is not a coincidence that the a..ewipes in Canberra have pushed my pension age out to 67, thereby forcing me and others to delve in and use up your super, when we had been programmed and planned way back to end the work life at 65.
There is not a stiff backbone amongst the whole lot.
They have certainly ensured the trough is full when they retire.
I have to wait till 67 also. But the worst aspect of Super changes is the retrospective aspect. And no, I am not anywhere near the "new" $1.6m limit.

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 1316
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Australian federal politics

Post by noosard » May 13, 2016, 5:24 pm

They have certainly ensured the trough is full when they retire.

Have to agree with that
And they don't have to wait to get their snouts into it

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 4201
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Australian federal politics

Post by GT93 » May 28, 2016, 1:34 pm

This election could go either way?

It's interesting what you guys are saying about retiring at 65. If you're going to live to say 80 to 85, retiring at 65 seems early for many occupations. The Tories in NZ haven't yet raised the age beyond 65 and are trying not to do that.

I thought Lambie had a good week. :D

User avatar
wazza
udonmap.com
Posts: 8761
Joined: April 2, 2006, 9:06 pm
Location: Cuba- Drove around in an Ol 55 Chev - On the Prowl
Contact:

Australian federal politics

Post by wazza » May 28, 2016, 7:40 pm

ronan01 wrote:
Barney wrote:
ronan01 wrote:
Aardvark wrote:Your more excited about this than we are. Personally I feel like I've Voted about 15 times in the last 5 Years. I just want some stability. And I'm sick of them changing the Goal Posts on Superannuation, that's our Money so leave it alone ....
Agreed. Dont mess with Super - was meant to provide a stable mechanism for retirement - that is no longer the case it seems.
Exactly Ronan01,
It is not a coincidence that the a..ewipes in Canberra have pushed my pension age out to 67, thereby forcing me and others to delve in and use up your super, when we had been programmed and planned way back to end the work life at 65.
There is not a stiff backbone amongst the whole lot.
They have certainly ensured the trough is full when they retire.
I have to wait till 67 also. But the worst aspect of Super changes is the retrospective aspect. And no, I am not anywhere near the "new" $1.6m limit.
My Financial Planner, advised me a few years ago ( when I hit 55 ) to roll my super over into an annuity and take the minimum 4% per year off the top. That way the Cvnts cant change the rules on me, they already pushed it out from 50 to 55 and watch this space....

As a former Intensive Care Flight Paramedic, I feel sorry for the working population who have to work those extra 2 years. from 65 to 67 . On the Road as an ambo at 67, no thanks

Post Reply

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests