Australians Rise Up?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
parrot
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by parrot » October 26, 2015, 9:34 am

I'm not a big fan of Ben Carson.....for as smart as the man obviously is, I disagree with most of his stances....gun control, abortion, same *** marriage among other issues.
In the past few weeks he's made comments about how one of the first stages of tyranny is gun control. Take the guns away from the people and the government can run amuck.......as Hitler did (as Ben Carson puts it).

So that got me to thinking.......what's happening in a place like Australia? Now that Australia has had some semblance of gun control for 20 or so years, why aren't the tyrants moving in and wrecking havoc? I think I know the answer.......and hope Carson will have to answer that question in one of the upcoming debates. In the meantime, I thought I'd throw it out to our Australian audience for their input. Anyone seeing any evidence of tyranny in The Land Down Under?

bluejets
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by bluejets » October 26, 2015, 10:19 am

Just watch the news sometime.
Crazy nutters are everywhere.

parrot
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by parrot » October 26, 2015, 10:21 am

bluejets wrote:Just watch the news sometime.
Crazy nutters are everywhere.
Agree. But tyranny is a whole different can of worms.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by fatbob » October 26, 2015, 10:40 am

You might enjoy this Aussie view on the US gun laws!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

noosard
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by noosard » October 26, 2015, 11:06 am

Australia and NZ have firearm control laws which have been around for donkeys's years in differing degrees.
These laws controls who can own firearms, how they kept and what type of firearms are available

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by Nong Bua Dave » October 26, 2015, 11:24 am

Australia is a "nanny state" these days, where there is a law or some sort of control, for just about anything and everything.
However, as Noosard points out, there have always been controls on firearms, from what sort you can legally own (for instance, pistols have always been outlawed, for all but police, certain security people, and for sports), to how you can use them.
Then, in the 1980s and 1990s when there were some crazies who perpetrated mass shootings, laws were further tightened.There was also an amnesty, where mountains of legal and illegal firearms were chucked on the bonfire.
But, most importantly, the "right to bear arms" was never in our constitution. Consequently is has never been a "guiding principle" in how things are done - thank goodness for that!

parrot
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by parrot » October 26, 2015, 12:52 pm

Carson has pretty much said the Holocaust might not have happened if the people of Germany were armed......and intimated that such tyranny could happen in the US if guns were taken away.
I think Australia stands as a good example of how life goes on (literally) if there are fewer guns in the public's hands.

Someday......maybe if'n'when the public can view for themselves (rather than just read about it) what 20+ elementary students look like huddled in a corner in a mass of blood.....maybe then they'll say 'enough'.

tataw
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by tataw » October 26, 2015, 1:34 pm

Although there are fairly strict gun controls in Australia and New Zealand (although a reporter in NZ was able to obtain a gun quite easily which has upset quite a few of the parliamentarians), neither country has been exempt from mass killings in the past. Fortunately these have been very isolated incidents but one never knows if there is a person out there with psychiatric problems who decides to perform such a heinous crime.

I don't think there is an answer for the States where a lot of people reserve the right to bear arms. Even if you introduced strict gun control measures it still wouldn't prevent mass killings. Part and parcel of living with the human race.

Personally I doubt if tyranny would take over if the populous of the States wasn't armed due to the masses being, in general, well educated. The powers that be would instigate measures to prevent the overthrow of the state.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by fatbob » October 26, 2015, 5:28 pm

tataw wrote: by tataw » October 26, 2015, 1:34 pm

Although there are fairly strict gun controls in Australia and New Zealand (although a reporter in NZ was able to obtain a gun quite easily which has upset quite a few of the parliamentarians), neither country has been exempt from mass killings in the past. Fortunately these have been very isolated incidents but one never knows if there is a person out there with psychiatric problems who decides to perform such a heinous crime.

I don't think there is an answer for the States where a lot of people reserve the right to bear arms. Even if you introduced strict gun control measures it still wouldn't prevent mass killings. Part and parcel of living with the human race.

Personally I doubt if tyranny would take over if the populous of the States wasn't armed due to the masses being, in general, well educated. The powers that be would instigate measures to prevent the overthrow of the state.

Since Australia changed it's gun laws after Port Arthur there hasn't been any massacre's, so I will presume twenty years later the new gun laws worked.

noosard
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by noosard » October 26, 2015, 5:37 pm

Carson is a donkey
That is crap about if the people were armed the holocaust wouldn't of happened
The army rolls into town would the locals fight them
I doubt it not when their own armies didn't defend them

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com
Location: ຫຼວງພຣະບາງ, ວຽງຈັນ, ສະຫວັນນະເຂດ, ສ.ປ.ປ; ໂຕຮວນໂຕ (โทรอนโต), ແຄນາດາ (แคนาดา)

Australians Rise Up?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 26, 2015, 7:31 pm

You can get a good idea of the violence inherent in Australians by watching the brilliant show, Wentworth. It does not take much to set the ladies off be it Jacks, Franky or Red and numerous others. The guards have a tendency toward violence too.
ເຮົາຈະລ່ວງພັ້ນຄວາມຕາຍໄປ່ບໍ່ໄດ

parrot
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by parrot » October 26, 2015, 7:56 pm

Violent maybe......but murder rate is 1.3 per 100k versus 5 per 100k in the US versus 1.0 in the UK.

tataw
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by tataw » October 27, 2015, 2:22 am

Coxo, while I agree there hasn't been a massacre on the magnitude of Port Arthur, there has still been people murdered by guns (of which 2 involved more than 1 victim). Mind you if you put that in context to the States, or even Thailand, then I'd say Oceania is a far safer place to live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... _Australia

fatbob
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by fatbob » October 27, 2015, 7:16 am

tataw wrote: by tataw » October 27, 2015, 2:22 am

Coxo, while I agree there hasn't been a massacre on the magnitude of Port Arthur, there has still been people murdered by guns (of which 2 involved more than 1 victim). Mind you if you put that in context to the States, or even Thailand, then I'd say Oceania is a far safer place to live.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... _Australia

That would be more domestic violence or gang type murder, the assailants knowing the victims, here we are talking about random massacres where a lunatic shots anything that moves for no reason.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Australians Rise Up?

Post by Aardvark » October 27, 2015, 5:41 pm

I think the Mind set is different. Americans are brought up to believe in the right to bear Arms, and if that were taken away they would feel violated. In Australia we never had that right, so after the Buy Back very few felt persecution of any kind. Me thinks it's too late to convince Americans there is a better way ... jmo .. This may also be another problem .... Watching too many violent Movies :-k http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/nm- ... &ocid=iehp

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”