bank loans (new Guy here)

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
mo1medic
udonmap.com

bank loans (new Guy here)

Post by mo1medic » February 25, 2007, 8:00 pm

my TW tells me that becauses she changed her name to my last name that she cannot get a bank loan in Thailand for buying a house or car, is this correct? and if so should we change her last name back to her maden name? thanks for the help. I looked for the answer on other post but could not find anything
MNike

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 25, 2007, 8:38 pm

My wife changed her name also, but had no problem getting a car loan. Might want to ck elsewhere.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » February 25, 2007, 9:14 pm

My wife has taken many loans and mortgages after changing her surname to mine.As long as your wife's ID and land title deeds have been changed too you will have no trouble.

A friend had the same response from his wife and it turned out she lied as she just did not want any loans in her name.You may want to your wife about her motivation to say such a thing.

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » February 26, 2007, 11:18 pm

This entire question of a woman's choice of legal name is not just a Thai question.

I've found that the best method for legal purposes is to use my full maiden name (not the initial) as a middle name, followed by my married name. That way, I have the same name that appears on my birth certificate as well as the one that appears on the marriage certificate.

I know this is traditional in the southern U.S. but not in other areas. From a practical standpoint, it works. I'd recommend it to any woman needing to deal with legalities.

Return to “Thailand Law”