Be very careful drinking and driving over the New Year

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
businessman
udonmap.com

Be very careful drinking and driving over the New Year

Post by businessman » December 29, 2005, 9:06 am

I have just got back from driving from the east end of Nong Khai Province to Udon airport and back and went through ten police checkpoints so they mean business this year.Take care.A long sarmlor journey may be uncomfortable and undignified but the BIB are out in force this year.

Marcus

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » December 29, 2005, 9:32 am

Yesterday in Udon they seemed to be cracking down pretty hard, especially on motorbikes, with several "stop" points, particularly on the roundabouts.

The sale of alcohol ban in the shops is patchy though!! :lol: At a shop local to me I mentioned this and she just laughed and said "you customer we know, how many you want??" :roll:

John

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » December 29, 2005, 9:39 am

John,if you want to avoid being stopped travel before eight in the morning and after five at night when they all pack up and go home. :) It always amazes me they work to such a fixed timetable,don't drug smugglers work after dark. :D

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » December 29, 2005, 10:16 am

I met a guy who ran into a little trouble last week; he was sitting at one of the bars in Udon, was approached by a European guy, and immediately punched in the face. He was a little dazed and confused, because he was just sitting at the bar enjoying a quiet drink and chat, asked the guy what the problem was, he replied saying that he's been after him for a while. This guy was a traveler and only in Udon for a few weeks and from what I can make out a really nice guy and certainly not violent, maybe he just looked like someone and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, anyway he didn't hang around to find out more and moved on to somewhere safer. To cut a long story short, he the proceeded to call the tourist police to ask for their assistance, but was told that they only had one policeman on duty and would be unable to leave the police station. He was told to call the government police, which he did right away, but was told that there was no one around that could speak English and to call back the next day. Feeling a little vulnerable after being attacked he decided to quickly make his way back to his apartment and lock the door.
I guess the moral of this story is: don't get in to trouble after 5pm or before 8am, otherwise you're on your own, you may find it very difficult to get help from the police until normal working hours. TIT

Lee

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » December 29, 2005, 10:34 am

Lee
Have sent you a PM

Wondering why this is under 'Transport' ?

valentine

Post by valentine » December 29, 2005, 10:46 am

I think there could be a little confusion creeping in here because of not understanding the police organisation. The regular boys in brown you see every day, stopping traffic are a special traffic dept. Also wearing the same colour are the civil police, deal with crime, shoplifting etc.You then have the night time force, who wear black and caps not dissimilar to Pauls, mainly working from 10pm to 6am. They are the drug catchers, or should I say the extermination squad.Never tangle with these guys.
The tourist police are a seperate entity, not even responsible to the local boys.
Then you have the military police, sometimes in plain clothes. These are the only ones allowed to apprehend a military man in uniform, even if he is commiting a civil crime.
Both the boys in brown have seperate depts but report to the one chief, although they do not normally overlap their duties. The men in black report to a different division which is associated with immigration and border control. The military men, under military control obviously.
Confusing, ain't it.? The moral here is to find out what the policeman your talking to is assigned to, as he has no jurisdiction in other fields and certainly won't be interested.TIT. :roll:

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » December 29, 2005, 10:15 pm

I thought the moral here was to be warned off drinking and driving over the new year period, some very handy info there though Val, thanks :)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » December 31, 2005, 11:57 am

.Is a car not a mode of transport?

If you are the transport mod,i have no objections to you moving the thread to relationships. :D

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » December 31, 2005, 5:11 pm

Cars and a recommendation to use a sarmlow. But then drinking was mentioned so Nightlife perhaps :lol:

Talking about which, the temporary ban on sales seems to be waste of time. I went with the brother in law today into the centre of Udon and we (well, he mainly) bought enough to stun an army.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » December 31, 2005, 5:38 pm

I'll be booking a hotel room tonight and walking into town, too many police about and not worth the risk. The penalty for drink driving is 3 months in prison and a 20,000 baht fine, the passager also gets into trouble too. I wonder if this applies to samlaaw drivers? They are usually under the influence!

Happy new year everyone!

Lee

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 2, 2006, 10:41 am

businessman wrote:
.Is a car not a mode of transport?

If you are the transport mod,i have no objections to you moving the thread to relationships. :D
My question was with Lee's post immediately preceeding my question.
His story was about someone getting punched in a bar and his lack of assistance from the police

Thats why I wondered why it was in the transport section.

Yes I realise that a car is a mode of transport - there is no reference to cars in Lee's offering.

So thats why I asked - it was about Lees Post - not the OP.
nothing more than that!

Wish I had kept my mouth shut now.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » January 2, 2006, 11:19 am

My question was with Lee's post immediately preceeding my question.
His story was about someone getting punched in a bar and his lack of assistance from the police
Just going off topic as usual LOL!

Lee

valentine

Post by valentine » January 2, 2006, 12:55 pm

If you were looking for a copper just after midnight on New years eve, just take a look in my personal photo gallery. For the record, they had finished duty.
For me, immediately after these pictures were taken I disgraced myself by falling on top of a huge plate of somtum, completely demolishing it. Never mind its only once a year. :wink:

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » January 2, 2006, 3:41 pm

valentine wrote:For me, immediately after these pictures were taken I disgraced myself by falling on top of a huge plate of somtum
Now there's a way to see out 2005 :)

Return to “Travel & Transport”